Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [4pm 19th May 2024]

Soldato
This made me chuckle
3zdOWxO.jpg
Next years it's their year (I'd put money on 115 again personally)

Soldato
Was a red, was over the ball and on the shin, not ankle.
I know it was a red, no dispute from me there.

The point is, that a very similar challenge on Wednesday night was not only not given as a foul, a panel of independent adjudicators upheld the VAR decision.

How can Semedo be sent off in one game but Amrabat doesn’t even get booked in another?

Suspended

The point is, that a very similar challenge on Wednesday night was not only not given as a foul, a panel of independent adjudicators upheld the VAR decision.

How can Semedo be sent off in one game but Amrabat doesn’t even get booked in another?
Im still certain that that’s given at the other end. You just know they’re going to fluke the FA cup don’t you.

Associate

Because they are hopeless. This season has been terrible from the officials and everyone involved.

Don

The challenges weren't similar. Semedo was sent off for serious foul play, the Amrabat challenge was miles away from being that and as such the VAR was never going to get involved on those grounds.

Nobody disagrees that it wasn't a foul by Amrabat and should have been a penalty but the way VAR is implemented meant that although most of us thought it should have been overturned, we're also not shocked that it wasn't either.

That said there's been numerous similar challenges to the Semedo one that haven't been overturned and some that have been - it's lucky dip.

Soldato
The challenges weren't similar. Semedo was sent off for serious foul play, the Amrabat challenge was miles away from being that and as such the VAR was never going to get involved on those grounds.

Nobody disagrees that it wasn't a foul by Amrabat and should have been a penalty but the way VAR is implemented meant that although most of us thought it should have been overturned, we're also not shocked that it wasn't either.

That said there's been numerous similar challenges to the Semedo one that haven't been overturned and some that have been - it's lucky dip.

And that’s the problem - there’s no consistency.

What’s the point of having the technology if it can’t be used properly…

Don
And that’s the problem - there’s no consistency.

What’s the point of having the technology if it can’t be used properly…
I agree and as I've said previously it's a consequence of this "clear and obvious" nonsense. No ref looks at the Amrabat challenge on Gordon and doesn't think it's a foul however they're not being asked to determine whether it's a foul but whether the onfield decision was clearly and obviously wrong and all that does is confuse things. We all have different definitions of clear and obvious and nobody knows just how clear and obvious the mistake needs to be before they overturn it.

Either scrap VAR for subjective calls or get rid of clear and obvious. Allow the qualified ref sat watching multiple angles and slow motion replays to simply make the correct decision. It will result in more overturns but I don't think anybody will mind - we go through all the delays (without the correct decisions) already and hopefully it'll result in more consistent decisions.

They managed to get 6th when months ago they were absolutely in no mans land, same as last season.
I've commented previously that it's amazing that they've finished where they did (or were going to) from where they were but when you judge the team/manager you do so over the course of the season and given the resources available to them, Chelsea finishing 6th isn't an achievement.

We had somebody comment on Palace earlier after then run of form at the end of the season and similarly with Chelsea, it's hard to take too much from results at the end of the season when so many teams had nothing to play for. I do think Chelsea have (and will continue to) improved over the season but they were starting from a very low base and I'm not sure they'll reach the level they should or are expecting to without a lot more changes.

Caporegime
Only had the chance now to watch Klopp’s farewell

trophies would’ve obviously been better but being able to just fully enjoy these last few for what they were has been fantastic

Starting the Slot chant is so good, hopefully the fans listen

Back
Top Bottom