Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [1st - 4th March 2014]

Soldato
Good win for us yesterday, thought Allen did okay sterling being an impact sub helped, glad suarez scored been due, nice to see arsenals usual implosion starting :D

Caporegime
I'm starting to think Liverpool can and will win the league. Even when playing poorly they still manage to score 2 or 3 goals and grind out the results. If they stay fit I can see them winning it. I thought they would finish higher than fourth but I didn't think they would be pushing on at this stage of the season.

When I saw that picture on the bbc article about Moyes I knew it would end up your sig Robbo :)

Soldato
I'm still looking at the top four but with Chelsea and City to come to Anfield then you never know.

United away is huge. I'd pick the same team as yesterday.

Soldato
I'm sorry but anything more than a 2 game ban for Pardew is a joke, he didn't even hurt the player in any way at all. He didn't physically headbutt him he just put his head in barely touching the chap.

They are both men ffs people making this out to be like he punched him in the face and knocked him out. I'm just glad the Hull player didn't go down like he was shot cluching his face.

Who cares if he hurt the lad, you dont know that for a start and what hurts him might not hurt for eg Alex Bruce.

The facts are, he head butted an outfield player. Paul Ince got 5 games for a load of verbals, Pardew should be looking at twice that.

Caporegime
I have nothing against Pardew and actually think he does a good job at Newcastle considering the players he loses and the money that get's spent. I think he's doing as well as any could do with what he has.

Yet he's the manager for gods sake, he should get 5 games and he shouldn't be allowed in the ground on match day. It's retaliation but he should have left the officials to punish the initial action.

It really is no wonder that when I go to watch kids football so many parents and kids are mouthing off and a total lack of respect is in the game. I do hope my son has no interest in football when he's older.

Soldato
Odd point over the whole Pardew incident. In the studio on MOTD you have Robbie Savage saying the guy should be sacked but its ok for a player to headbutt someone as its 'in the heat of the battle' How is it different? A headbutt is a headbutt (or movement similar to a headbutt in this case) Can someone please tell Savage that football is not a battle. The guys a complete idiot. If a player goes to headbutt someone they'll get a puny fine and say 3 match minimum ban. Why not sack them as well? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Missed the Liverpool game yesterday but it's probably our most surprising result of the season imo. I think Chelsea are the only team to go there and beat them all season so for us to win 3-0 is a massive result in terms of top 4 and perhaps pushing for the title. With the extra games Chelsea and City have in various competitions the games at Anfield against those two could go a long way to deciding where the title goes this season.

Having said that, even though we're 9 points ahead of Spurs I'm still far more concerned about building a gap over them than closing the gap to the top.

Soldato
It obviously is, compared to the alternative/competition we're comparing it to (the Champions League). It's not really debatable. There are more matches and they're more inconveniently scheduled. Those are both things I've never seen people question :o.

Each competition has group stages with six matches, but with the Europa League they go to a round of 32 for the knockout stages, whilst the Champions League goes to a round of 16 (so the latter competition has two fewer matches).

Every player want's to play in Europe though no matter whether it's CL or EL. From a managerial point of view it's inconvenient of course, but that's because of the retarted media and fans that put pressure on teams when juggling the two.

Caporegime
Top goalscorers in Europe...

73 - Liverpool
71 - Real Madrid
70 - Barcelona
69 - Man City
66 - Bayern Munich

Obviously only in the league and they all have games in hand but still, not sure whether to :eek: or :D/:cool:

Soldato
Is it a coincidence Arsenal keep imploding at this time every year? Why doesn't Wenger look at himself and ask if he is actually doing something wrong? It cant be a coincidence it just cant be.

Caporegime
Christ, was looking at Spurs fixtures in March and thought they were tough, considering their two home games in the league follow Europa League games, but Arsenals fixtures are arguably even tougher...

Spurs
Chelsea (A)
Benfica (H)
Arsenal (H)
Benfica (A)
Southampton (H)
Liverpool (A)

Arsenal
Everton (H)
Munich (A)
Spurs (A)
Chelsea (A)
City (H)
Everton (A)

:eek:

Caporegime
Is it a coincidence Arsenal keep imploding at this time every year? Why doesn't Wenger look at himself and ask if he is actually doing something wrong? It cant be a coincidence it just cant be.

Hello and welcome to me 6 years ago ;)

How many games was Ozil rested for from Sept through end of Feb? One, and we don't really know if he actually had a dead leg and couldn't play or that was an excuse. Same with Giroud and everyone else.

Walcott, injured, plays 6 or 7 games in a row... out for 6 months, genius. Injuries aren't resting, your body is working harder to repair than normal. He hasn't protected anyone sensibly in the past 6-8 years. We've been lucky with injuries throughout the first half of the season and what is almost the same squad is massively better due to "luck" with injuries for half a season. This luck could be reverse with better managing. If we both got rid of the genuine sicknotes like Diaby and had real material players who could contribute, and if we rotated sensibly over the past 6 years we'd have been in the title fight in almost every season with "bad luck" seasons with injuries become rare, not the norm.

Also the fixture list to this point, as highlighted by Pigeon, has been very favourable. Some years you get a run of 3 tough games, get battered lose moral and the 3 easy games become difficult. Sometimes you get 5 soft games, win them all the moral/form carries you to a win against a the first big team in a run and you beat a couple more. We've had very nice fixtures with most of the toughest games coming in small spells, we didn't do well in them and have the toughest one yet to come.

It's been a great season for Wenger, but nothing this squad hasn't been capable of most seasons if injuries/sensible rotation/certain players released had been done for multiple seasons now. I thought, and said early in the season that come this period we'll be moving towards a fight for 4th(not expecting Utd to be THIS bad under Moyes) after the few particular spells of difficult games, so painfully predictable.

Last edited:
Don
Top goalscorers in Europe...

73 - Liverpool
71 - Real Madrid
70 - Barcelona
69 - Man City
66 - Bayern Munich

Obviously only in the league and they all have games in hand but still, not sure whether to :eek: or :D/:cool:

Man City - 69
Arsenal -52
Chelsea - 52
Man Utd - 43
Sturridge & Suarez - 42

If only we could defend.

Back
Top Bottom