Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [1st - 5th November 2019]

Soldato
Oh give over, even if it is a late tackle from behind it's not a red unless using excessive force or being reckless and Son remained on the ground and barely touched him

Late tackle from behind with zero chance of getting the ball is a red card imo. Regardless of whats happened previously with other "tactical fouls".

Soldato
It needs to happen more often regardless of the injury but the law is :

"A tackle from behind which endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Acts of serious foul play are punishable by a red card. A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

The injury has already happened by the time Aurier comes in. Its clear Son hasnt meant to snap his ankle but its a direct consequence of his tackle. Its one that can be argued both sides imo.

Soldato
Is Son's tackle really from behind though? He's sliding in from the side while sprinting after Gomes more than anything. I don't think it was a red card and imo if it weren't for Gomes being horrifically injured they'd never have changed it to a red.

VAR has been all over the place this weekend, its implementation is terrible at the moment and it's embarrassing for the PGMOL. There's no way Watford should have been given a penalty for the Deulofeu incident and Everton definitely should have had a penalty for the Sanchez foul on Richarlison. I don't see how they're getting what seem like straightforward decisions so wrong. Also, why on earth are VAR looking at 26 replays of the Alli handball? I think a better system would be to look at a few replays and then tell the ref to go and look at the pitchside monitor.

Caporegime
It's clear that the card was only given because of the resulting injury. It was quite clearly a yellow. We have this discussion every time somebody is badly injured.

Soldato
Completely disagree tbh. Son is reacting to being elbowed just before and goes to kick him, on purpose with zero intention of getting the ball. His sole intention was to hit Gomes.

Thats a red.

Don
Ok this has been done to death. Nobody is convincing omnom and omnom isn't convincing anybody either.

On a lighter note, somebody just tweeted this. In the last 23 PL games Arsenal have picked up 34 points, Utd 27 points and Spurs 24 points. That equates to 56 points for Arsenal over the course of a 38 game season, 44-45 points for Utd and 39-40 points for Spurs. The good news is that even Spurs would avoid relegation in nearly all seasons. It's quite the contrast to Liverpool over the same period though, who have picked up 63 points in their last 23 PL games which equates to 104 points across a 38 game season.

Soldato
Someone needs to put some slippy substance on that perch.

I can't stand what's going on atm as a Utd fan. It's utter despair. My only resort is to bottle my tears and make a few bob off the scousers.

Soldato
No it shouldn't have but when they said it was a red for endangering a player I thought there wouldn't be any point appealing as they'll just hide behind that excuse.

Glad to see common sense shone through as you could clearly see he didn't have any intent to injure Gomez.

Soldato
No it shouldn't have but when they said it was a red for endangering a player I thought there wouldn't be any point appealing as they'll just hide behind that excuse.

Glad to see common sense shone through as you could clearly see he didn't have any intent to injure Gomez.
I mean, if even the Premier League, which is notoriously awful at reviewing decisions and overturning them, considers that card wrong then I'm not sure omnomnom has a leg to stand on...

Back
Top Bottom