Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [2 - 4th August 2013]

Soldato
Ah, you were there... That explains it! Sitting with 33,000 leeds fans cheering everything, I bet it did seem like Leeds outplayed us, but to say that is ridiculous... In truth it was a very even game, that could have gone either way.

I'm the same... All last season I was thinking the other teams did absolutely nothing all game only to come home and look at stats/watch the football league show and be confused at what I was seeing.

Any way, I'm happy with the performance. Oscars first game, in a hostile environment against a team in good spirits, with a sellout crowd and it went right to the last, and we could have won it too. More than enough to be optimistic for the season.

PS. Poleon has gone in to my fantasy football team now. Ridiculously cheap! ;)

Don
Pig, you should have kept Poyet :D

Poleon won't play much, impact sub!

Yeah I am, Murphy is a class player.

Are the Leeds fans in general happy you got him?

To be honest, I hadn't heard much about him other than Villa were after him then suddenly we were linked with him and the following day he was ours. Crewe fans seemed to love him and it was the first million we spent since 2005. I trust McDermot so he must have liked what he saw. We missed a player that could not only get stuck in but also be an attacking threat and get a shot away, our midfielders were Austin, Brown, Tonge, Green, all defensive. Nice to see someone different.

Soldato
I think I might have underestimated Wigan this year. They've kept some decent players and Grant Holt could turn out to be a great, capture. I originally tipped Bolton to have a good season, and whilst I still think they will, I'm not sure they have enough firepower to do anything.

Soldato
3 For the reds, but could have gone either way.

Watching the highlights on the bbc, looks like most games could have gone either way yesterday. Looks set for another zinger of a season in the championship, you'd be a mug to call it.

Teams/managers that have been there and done it, and on early evidence same as last year, any team over another.

Roll on.:)

Associate
Elland road was buzzing yesterday. Hopefully it is like that all season. The Brighton goal was offside and our last goal was possibly ball to hand. But it was nice to have a bit of luck as last season we didn't have any.

Soldato
Was relatively pleased with a draw away at Preston. Clean sheet was definitely a good thing.

Glad KJ is playing some of the youngsters. Batth and Evans in particular have been excellent in pre-season. Seemed to pick up a few injuries though (2 caused by Kevin Davies!)

Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Associate
Was relatively pleased with a draw away at Preston. Clean sheet was definitely a good thing.

Glad KJ is playing some of the youngsters. Batth and Evans in particular have been excellent in pre-season. Seemed to pick up a few injuries though (2 caused by Kevin Davies!)

Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Evans is a great player, will go far in the game, I just hope we got a decent amount of cash out of you for him!

Newport had a perfect return to the Football League after 25 years away. A 4-1 win (albeit over a poor Accrington side) with all our debutants playing extremely well.

Fully expecting to get battered at Brighton in the Capitol One Cup tomorrow now! :D

Soldato
Newport had a perfect return to the Football League after 25 years away. A 4-1 win (albeit over a poor Accrington side) with all our debutants playing extremely well.

Fully expecting to get battered at Brighton in the Capitol One Cup tomorrow now! :D

Certainly was a good result for Newport, excellent goals and seemed to play very well.

We were pretty excellent in phases on Saturday. Kept the ball incredibly well, worked very hard and scored an incredible goal - second goal here. We dominated the game, but gave away a pathetic goal and then wasted a load of opportunities. If our front line clicks, then I still reckon we'll go up automatically.

Caporegime
Did anyone watch the League Cup tonight? :o.

I thought Preston fully deserved that, Blackpool were very poor and their tactic of 'give it to Ince' wasn't working especially given the mental block Ince has with passing the ball.

Pretty grim towards the end with a half arsed pitch invasions by what I can only assume was the local pond life, the police came on with horses and a steward was knocked under and trampled on.

Caporegime
Lots of pitch invasions popped up all of a sudden!... Can't go a week without hearing of one somewhere now.

Didn't hear of many pitch invasions over the summer. There are always plenty at the end of a season.

Was there not a pitch invasion every time someone scored for a Premier League team? Can't for the life of me remember who / which pre season game.

Soldato
Didn't hear of many pitch invasions over the summer. There are always plenty at the end of a season.

Was there not a pitch invasion every time someone scored for a Premier League team? Can't for the life of me remember who / which pre season game.

For some unfathomable reason Celtic decided to stage a pitch invasion after our friendly with them... at Griffin Park. Setting off smoke bombs, trying to dismantle the goalposts and even trying to rip up the sprinkler system :confused:

Thought PNE were definitely the better side tonight, played with a bit more gusto than Blackpool who, like you said, were a tad one dimensional.

Back
Top Bottom