Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th April - 2nd May 2012]

Man of Honour
Pretty much this but with Chelsea losing the CL final therefore they don't get CL football next season...mind you if that happens, perhaps they will win the Europa title:p...its not as prestigious as the CL title rather more like a mickey mouse Euro title:D

Yeah but then Spuds get it :(

Caporegime
Pretty much this but with Chelsea losing the CL final therefore they don't get CL football next season...mind you if that happens, perhaps they will win the Europa title:p...its not as prestigious as the CL title rather more like a mickey mouse Euro title:D

i don't know if you are joking or not but it would be great to win the europa cup.

sadly yes it is seen as some substandard cup..but when you play 4 matches and get hammered in 3 then perhaps it is not the cup that is substandard ?

Soldato
:D

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...rn-to-newcastle-for-help-fan-strikes-deal-wit

After the game on Monday night it all seemed over for Manchester United. Their fans were in the depths of misery and had conceded the title to their local rivals. The period of mourning had begun, faces were drained, people became snappy, dogs got kicked - you get the gist.

Anyway, now the sun seems to be rising a little. there's hope. Newcastle United's 2-0 win over Chelsea made many think the team can take points off City this weekend. Optimism is creeping in around the edges and despair has got company.

It could just be possible that this title race has another twist left yet and Manchester United fans are looking to Newcastle for help. The North East side need to get points to help their quest for the Champions League and in doing so could hand the title initiative back to Manchester United.

Fans are putting their faith in Cisse and Ba. One supporter tweeted Demba Ba after last night's victory to strike a deal with him, if Ba scores the winning goal against City then the fan will have his name on the back of his Manchester United shirt next season. Ba accepted the deal.

dembabatweet.JPG

Soldato
He's playing a new and totally unselfish role which has obviously stopped him.

Nervous ahead of tonight, keep a clean sheet against the spammers and we might have a chance. Sorted a ticket out for the away game Monday but I've got to go bloody South Mimms and do a voucher exchange despite living in London. ARGH.

Associate
Will tiote be playing for the Toon against City?

I didn't watch the game last night but people were saying that after he got taken out Newcastle stopped bossing the game quite a bit. Might not be a good sign for getting them to take points of Man City.

Associate
Will tiote be playing for the Toon against City?

I didn't watch the game last night but people were saying that after he got taken out Newcastle stopped bossing the game quite a bit. Might not be a good sign for getting them to take points of Man City.

Pardew said he should be fine to play against City.

Soldato
Liverpool loss of £50m

including £35m for plans for the new stadium that have been scrapped

so considering fenway will have to cover this loss...how much more on top are they going to give king kenny

'£35m for a large, immobile structure that hasn't got off the ground ...'

Sound like something else lol

Caporegime
Somehow those figures just don't "feel" right, considering how much they've spent.

Though its just occured to me that most numbers are given for at best, if we're lucky the previous season. So that would mean the year in which they bought Carroll/Suarez and had European football and had one big write off, they lost £50mil, which wouldn't sound to out of the ordinary. It's really that the general gist I got from whatever article I read was "this is down to a one time write off, it won't be that bad again, woo us".

But this year, no euro football, spent a craptonne, doing worse in the league, won a pointless cup but I don't think theres a whole lot of money in the Carling cup(i'd imagine a heck of a lot less than Europa), afaik they pushed closer to the 60mil mark than 50mil in transfer spending(ignoring signing on fee's and the like for, well, a large number of transfers) while recouping very very little(sub 10mil?). So less income, 40+mil net transfer spend, worse season, isn't it going to look even worse this season?

Might well be lucky to have won a cup because another 10-20mil from Europa cup run could be pretty important to them next season, by important I mean, it will likely cover Cole's wages for another season :p

Caporegime
Those figures are for the financial year ending 31/07/11 and most of the loses were down to Hicks and Gillette which isn't at all bad considering it includes the majority of our summer signings bar Enrique :)

Next year will be interesting. European football and some huge sponsorship deals.

Last edited:
Don
Those figures are for the financial year ending 31/07/11 and most of the loses were down to Hicks and Gillette which isn't at all bad considering it includes the majority of our summer signings bar Enrique :)

Next year will be interesting. No European football but some huge sponsorship deals.

A £50m loss, with nearly £60m in one off exceptional costs; a fair bit of that will be a paper loss too. We'll know for certain when the accounts are actually published but I'd be surprised if there's a significant (if at all) cash loss.

As for the next set of accounts (which will be this seasons), the loss from no Europa League compared with last season might cost us ~£10m. I'm sure there will be some increase in the commercial side of things but there won't be any huge increases; the Standard Chartered deal started last year (so is included in these accounts) and the Warrior deal doesn't start until next season so it won't show up on the accounts for another 2 years.

I think it will be another couple of years before our finances settle down. I imagine that next years accounts will include a few exceptional costs too, paying off a few players.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Baz, surely the circa 50mil net spend + apparent 12mil rise in wages last season will both be higher this season and keep you at a similar level loss.

Your MD seems to be saying without these one off fee's you'd have been looking at breaking even. But the current years results will surely have, 45-50mil net transfer spend in the loss column that wasn't there last year, even higher wage costs, less Europa league money though not convinced that's much, its a couple mil euro's for the stage they got to, but seemingly around 5 mil in tv money. oh, lol, Brum got £100k for winning the league cup, Arsenal got £50k for losing, big money :p (tv money will obviously be more, but still lol).

Circa 45mil or so as far as I can tell of one off fee's(hodgson/stadium), and a 50mil loss. This year no 45mil but about the same in net transfer spend, quite likely another 10mil wage increase due to the number of people incoming, one off signing bonus's across so many players.

Without a large increase in revenue to offset that I can't see where the numbers will be drastically better.

Then of course you've got the other 10mil one off fee, paying off Dalglish and Clarke at the end of this season ;)

EDIT:- Hmm, i'm thinking more of the whole Torres vs Suarez/Carroll making net spend relatively small last year but keep forgetting you spent circa 20-25mil in Summer.... however I can't remember who you might of sold in that summer and how much of that 20mil or so was offset by selling players.

Hmm, actually, Reira, Benny, Masch and the rest, supposedly puts you with a net spend of -£5mil give or take for last season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom