Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [29th October - 2nd November 2011]

Man of Honour
Sounds to me as though some Newcastle fans are starting to get a bit of a chip on their shoulders :)
People are just calling it as they see it, if somebody comes out and says "I'm a bit surprised that everyone still assumes we are going to falter when it comes to playing the other big 4"
Then it stands to reason that people are going to give some reasons why they think along those lines. As for "no easy games in the Premier League" even if that is the case that doesn't change the fact that some games are tougher than others.

I think sometimes people underestimate the impact of fixtures, I remember a couple of years back Arsenal got off to a flyer and people were jizzing all over them I said hang on a minute lads look at the games they've had and now look at this nightmare run of fixtures they are lining up later in the season.

In fact I've just dug up the thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...light=fixtures+username_HangTime#post11499718

So it's got nothing to do with having a pop at Newcastle and everything to do with just looking at past history and making predictions on what will happen, just as I did about my own team 4 years ago, I could see we'd had an easy run compared to what was lying in store later on, people are entitled to do that providing they aren't making direct derogatory comments.

Caporegime
Sounds to me as though some Newcastle fans are starting to get a bit of a chip on their shoulders :)
People are just calling it as they see it, if somebody comes out and says "I'm a bit surprised that everyone still assumes we are going to falter when it comes to playing the other big 4"
Then it stands to reason that people are going to give some reasons why they think along those lines. As for "no easy games in the Premier League" even if that is the case that doesn't change the fact that some games are tougher than others.

I think sometimes people underestimate the impact of fixtures, I remember a couple of years back Arsenal got off to a flyer and people were jizzing all over them I said hang on a minute lads look at the games they've had and now look at this nightmare run of fixtures they are lining up later in the season.

In fact I've just dug up the thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...light=fixtures+username_HangTime#post11499718

So it's got nothing to do with having a pop at Newcastle and everything to do with just looking at past history and making predictions on what will happen, just as I did about my own team 4 years ago, I could see we'd had an easy run compared to what was lying in store later on, people are entitled to do that providing they aren't making direct derogatory comments.

The difference is a team looking for top spot, faltering when playing the top teams will usually cost them any chance at the title. A team with almost no chance of the top 4 and not a great chance at the top 6, who goes into playing 3 tough games sitting in 3rd, with every chance of coming out after the next 4 games still in a very strong position, with 3-4 tough games down isn't a bad thing.

Do you usually win the title if you lose to the top 4, no, do the 4th-8th team's often lose to the top 4, yes. If you're 5th, or 15th, you expect to lose to City and Utd, so its not the same as Utd losing to Chelsea/City/Everton, infact, its completely different because the targets for Utd and Newcastle are so completely different. Losing to City is a huge blow to Utd, losing to City is thoroughly expected, and won't prevent them getting 5th-6th.

The "big" games this season for Newcastle in terms of getting 5th-8th somewhere, will be the teams you expect to be fighting for those spots. Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, maybe Fulham. So far they've drawn with three of those, and beaten one. That's a pretty good start, had they lost those games, they'd be 6 points worse off, and all those teams would be 3 points ahead of where they are.

Soldato
The difference is a team looking for top spot, faltering when playing the top teams will usually cost them any chance at the title. A team with almost no chance of the top 4 and not a great chance at the top 6, who goes into playing 3 tough games sitting in 3rd, with every chance of coming out after the next 4 games still in a very strong position, with 3-4 tough games down isn't a bad thing.

Do you usually win the title if you lose to the top 4, no, do the 4th-8th team's often lose to the top 4, yes. If you're 5th, or 15th, you expect to lose to City and Utd, so its not the same as Utd losing to Chelsea/City/Everton, infact, its completely different because the targets for Utd and Newcastle are so completely different. Losing to City is a huge blow to Utd, losing to City is thoroughly expected, and won't prevent them getting 5th-6th.

The "big" games this season for Newcastle in terms of getting 5th-8th somewhere, will be the teams you expect to be fighting for those spots. Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, maybe Fulham. So far they've drawn with three of those, and beaten one. That's a pretty good start, had they lost those games, they'd be 6 points worse off, and all those teams would be 3 points ahead of where they are.

Spot on

The way people are talking about the Manu/city/Chelsea is stupid.

If we get very good results against them does that make is Title contenders?? :D

Think most Newcastle fans are saying here we going to Finish top 10 with a good chance of Euro spot depending on how the cups go

What impressed me last year with Newcastle was after a really bad result or performance we bounced back with a good one. The team this year has the same attitude, more consistent and with a better squad.

Soldato
When folks say they don't think we'll get anything out of out next few games, they are aware that we are playing Everton at home first aren't they? Since when (I'm guessing sometime in the early 80's) were they considered up there with the top 4?

This season I'd actually suggest it's a top 3 anyway, maybe even a top one and two close behind.

Man of Honour
Do you usually win the title if you lose to the top 4, no, do the 4th-8th team's often lose to the top 4, yes. If you're 5th, or 15th, you expect to lose to City and Utd

That's exactly my point - why are people surprised people are suggesting Newcastle will struggle against those teams?

The way people are talking about the Manu/city/Chelsea is stupid.

I was just replying to a Newcastle fan who brought it up :)

Soldato
Regardless of the next four results our start has been...

r2kzyo.gif

Associate

This is what I think is annoying Newcastle fans at the moment. Every week it's the same thing from the media, we haven't played anyone yet. But they can't see that we have new players that are still learning to play together. Arsenal (regardless of their lack of form) was a tough first game and then although not regarded by the rest of the league our derby match with Sunderland AWAY was also very tough.

Like for like fixtures from last season we have amassed a FAR FAR greater amount of points so if we continue and get the same amount of points from our remaining fixtures then we would finish 7th. We took 4 points from Arsenal, 2 from Chelsea, 1 from Man Utd and 0 from Man City...if we replicate that I would be absolutely delighted.

Top ten is a must and would show real progression. Anything more is a bonus...Europe would be dreamland.

Soldato
So you start your post by stating how annoyed you are with the media for saying that you're sitting above your station in the league, and then you end it by claiming that a top ten finish would be good, and a European place excellent, but unlikely?

:confused:

Associate
It's the fact the southern media are on our case waiting with baited breath for us to slip up so they can give it the 'We told you so, deluded Geordie' line.

No Toon fan is under the impression this will last and anything over 10th is a great season.

Back
Top Bottom