Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [6th - 11th April 2012]

Man of Honour
OP
Nothing wrong with a bit of mindless optimism. :p

In fairness, we do have a habit of spanking whatever team we play after a loss.

Soldato
Spinning Manyoo's loss as a positive :o.

He's allowed to do whatever the hell he wants, if he wants to take a positive from last nights defeat then that's up to him, you know that's how opinions tend to work. You should really have a think before you go calling people's posts embarrassing because from where I'm sat there's only one person out of the two of you that has reason to be embarrassed and it ain't frank

Soldato
De Gea is a liability for United, he does not cope well with set pieces into the box and being crowded, it's not the first time he's become a rabbit in headlights and played for a foul. The gamble payed off yesterday but it was soft to say the least.

Are you being serious? Every keeper makes a mistake some time, but when it's De Gea he's a liability?

He's been fantastic since the turn of the year, unfortunately.

Soldato
Are you being serious? Every keeper makes a mistake some time, but when it's De Gea he's a liability?

He's been fantastic since the turn of the year, unfortunately.

I agree with all that, but when the problem is a keeper's ability to come for crosses/corners and boss his area, it goes slightly deeper than a mistake. I have nothing against him, and calling him a liability might be a bit harsh, but its not wholly inaccurate in this case imo. He has a weakness that many teams could easily exploit if they are savy enough.

Soldato
I agree with all that, but when the problem is a keeper's ability to come for crosses/corners and boss his area, it goes slightly deeper than a mistake. I have nothing against him, and calling him a liability might be a bit harsh, but its not wholly inaccurate in this case imo. He has a weakness that many teams could easily exploit if they are savy enough.

Oh I know it's a weakness with De Gea, but since the start of this year he's not put a foot wrong, so he has shown that he can adjust to the Premier League. With confidence and with a bit of work in the summer, he will be just fine. He's still only 21, so he's still got plenty of time to bulk up - Which really is all he needs to do.

Edit: Szczesny is better though! :D

Associate
Mancini is an absolute joke. He's now backtracked on Balotelli and said he will play vs United. What an absolute *******-less idiot. Hope it massively backfires and Balotelli gets sent off.

Soldato
He is using the tenuous logic that he thought Balotelli would be banned so wouldn't be able to play :p

To be fair though it's all going to come down to who ends up in 1st place at the end of the season, if Man Utd end up second it's going to be all about how Fergie failed to strengthen in key positions like midfield and how relying on the aging legs of Giggs and Scholes was a gamble that didn't pay off in the end, if City end up second it's going to be about how mismanagement of Tevez, Balotelli etc ended up derailing the title challenge blah blah blah

Caporegime
People really do decide every opinion based on result rather than performance, De Gea for instance has had a handful of bad performances THE ENTIRE SEASON, he never came close to looking **** early season at all and he hasn't looked significantly better now, the Utd results have, and thats more to do with the other end of the pitch.

Either way it wasn't his fault last night, nor was it a foul in any way at all. Notice how most of the time you'll get a Goalkeeper with one of his OWN players buffering him from the opposition player put in to crowd him. Rather than the Utd player(not sure who it was offhand) stepping between them and letting De Gea step past his own player unimpeded rather than have an opposition player blocking him, the utd player just stood their and watched.

De Gea couldn't easily get past the Wigan player and the Wigan player did little if anything except stand still.... wanted to get inside him, lol, that is pretty much the tamest foul in the box seen all year. De Gea actually did brilliantly rather than poorly, look at replay's, he isn't really shoved he just leans back dramatically TO MAKE IT LOOK like he was fouled, and in doing this basic action he got a goal disallowed..... yet people want to blame him for doing something wrong.

Same goes for Arsenal, we conceded 4-5 golden chances to the bottom of the league team...... won 3-0 based on what I would call a ridiculous sending off, a soft player going down after stepping across the defender after pretty much letting the ball get away from him and two easy goals against a truly awful defence.

Like Blackburn, we should have won that by a HUGE margin and provided 1-2 real chances maximum to the opposition if that. Yay, we're third, league position is irrelevant, we bought a bunch of players, of which almost all turned out completely ****.

The players keeping us up the table are ones we had last year, where would we be with the players we also had, where would we be if we'd bought proper Fabregas replacement early in the transfer window... where would we be next year if we could add another 1-2 players rather than have to cope with expensive flops in the side?

We have scored 4 more goals with RVP in the best form of his career.... we've conceded 11 more goals at the same point, and have two whole points more.... when Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and City have all collapsed for half a season?

It's NOT ABOUT league position, never has been, never will be, its about THE TEAM, and if its going forwards or backwards. We're conceding more, again, we are 8 points further from the title than last year(7 points behind Utd same time last year, 15 now and thats after a shock loss to Wigan). The team itself has worse players in, we're worse defensively, we're worse on the wings, we've got less cover upfront and we've dropped further away from winning titles.

Progress of the team, progress towards winning cups and titles has all gone backwards, again. If RVP had been injured at any stage this year, we'd have been screwed, if Spurs, Chelsea and City didn't collapse, we'd be in a fight for 5th at best. I don't care, in the slightest bit about this season and this title, unless we came 1st, which we haven't and won't. Beyond winning the title the ONLY question is, is the team worse or better than last year, on performances, goals conceded, strength in depth, quality of players, we've gotten worse on every metric that matters.

Soldato
Just re: the Arsenal stuff - you say yourself that it's not the league position that matters, it's how the team's progressing (the bit in bold, for example). Comparing this entire season to the last entire season is a bit flawed, imo, considering the start of the season you had. You talk about more goals conceded, less points, etc, but that's down the start of the season/having eleventy billion defenders injured/etc, no? Since then your form's been pretty good, no? If you ignore the raw points tally, and just look at the progress (which you say is the important thing), then your progress from the beginning of the season until now is remarkable... if you keep this going next season (and possibly ship out certain players and strengthen with those funds/get Wilshere back/etc) I can only see good things happening, next season.
no point speaking with DM. its like speaking to a brick wall. he will come up with an excuse to dismiss your comments

Associate
Lolwut :confused:. It's hardly surprising that people say things in the heat of the moment, straight after a game, then change their mind after consideration... especially considering his far from simple relationship with Balotelli. I don't really see it as a reason to criticise Mancini, anyway.

How about Mancini has given Balotelli enough chances and he's blown them all. Mancini in the past few weeks has heavily criticised Balotelli, but then went back on it and gave him ANOTHER chance. Balotelli betrayed the trust again and was a complete disgrace against Arsenal and Mancini rightly said he wouldn't play again and would be sold. Then Mancini just goes back on his word a few days later without any explanation. He did exactly the same thing with Tevez. It's weak leadership.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think Mancini is handling Balotelli well at all, but I don't really have a problem with him giving Tevez another chance tbh, even if it has been forced. If they both made up, apologized and Tevez now wants to contribute to City then it isn't necessarily the worst thing to let it all stay in the past and try and put it behind them imo.

Caporegime
Nicely done last night by Arsenal..3 pts bagged so gives us a bit more breathing space with Spurs, Nwecastle and Chelsea behind us.

Saw the replay of the match last night and have to say i lolled pretty hard at RVP's cheeky penalty:p...Walnuts goal was pretty decent along with Bennys goal as well.

Shocker of a win by Wigan last night too...suppose Cheets has been in here gloating but fair play to them, they deserved to win last night...should have been 2-0 really as that disallowed goal should have stood...from what i could see, Caldwell didnt really do anything wrong, it was down to De Gea to get out his shadow.

Still 5 pts in it as City smashed WBA pretty good last night...going to be close for the title but i still think they will win the title. The derby is going to be one hell of a match. Mancini makes me laugh with his interview saying the title is finished ie City wont win it....good bit of mind games there lol.

Think we got Wigan next so dont know how that will turn out as Wigan should have drawn with Chelsea and they beat Utd last night. So im not taking a win against them for granted...they might pull of a result against us as they are fighting relegation and i have this funny feeling that they may well stay up and live to fight another day in the EPL. Heard something about Martinez leaving whether they stay up or go down, i like him and have to feel sorry that some of the decisions have gone against them recently but well done on the win against Utd last night.

Soldato
Nicely done last night by Arsenal..3 pts bagged so gives us a bit more breathing space with Spurs, Nwecastle and Chelsea behind us.

tut-tut, you've got a lot to learn. Try reading dm's post to understand that there are plenty of negatives to take from the 3-0 win last night. You just weren't looking hard enough:p

Back
Top Bottom