GregI Mesh Network Advice

Associate
I want to try a mesh system (Eero) and do away with the Smart Hub 1 (FTTC). I can likely get a cheap BT Modem off Ebay but I remember there is different ones and it depends what cabinet you have. Anyone know what I should get?

Why Euro? They have mixed reviews.
Don't know of alternatives that everyone is happy with and it can't be worse than the Smart Hub. Plus easy returns if it does end up being bad.

Edit: Also looking at the Deco XE75 Pro.

Last edited:
Yeah after doing abit more research seems like the Eero isn't that great. Currently looking at The TP-Link Deco stuff but there is literally like 500 versions of them (S series, M series, X20, X50, X55, X60). Open to any suggestions. 3 story house with an extension but top floor doesn't really have devices anyway so more like 2.

Also about the traffic management stuff. Pretty sure it's a thing of the past as born said. I don't even know why throttling was a thing.

Openreach is doing over 200PB a day right now: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-229-petabytes-pb-uk-data-traffic-record.html

If anything traffic shaping should be a thing at this moment with all the 1Gig plans but it's simply not and never will be. No way like 10 years ago was the network even close to 200PB that traffic shaping should have been in effect for anything. All of a sudden 200PB a day is no problem that unlimited usage and no traffic shaping is just expected.

Yeah after doing abit more research seems like the Eero isn't that great. Currently looking at The TP-Link Deco stuff but there is literally like 500 versions of them (S series, M series, X20, X50, X55, X60). Open to any suggestions. 3 story house with an extension but top floor doesn't really have devices anyway so more like 2.

One option is a BT Smart Hub 2 and the complete WiFi mesh points. It works pretty well and is reliable. If you are out of contract you should be able to get it free or at low cost.

Don't know of alternatives that everyone is happy with and it can't be worse than the Smart Hub. Plus easy returns if it does end up being bad.

Edit: Also looking at the Deco XE75 Pro.

You don’t need a mesh system, a single hardwired AP upstairs on the first or second floor ceiling should cover the house.

Every house is different but if you've used your coal storage as a basement or Attic as room I'd say a few, also with the extension you'll likely have issues, from experience Wifi does not pass the old external walls that are now internal, an issue I have, ceiling mounted AP just won't work unless you are fine with a ropey 2.4G signal.

I get great Wifi between floors either side of the extension, so two ceiling mount APs might work there and a 3rd on the rear single extension, but certainly one never worked in my house and needed a wired connection from one side to the other to get best performance.

Last edited:
Tbh I kidna want to get away from BT hardware anyway. Tired of not being able to do literally anything on them, not even change DNS.

Tbh I kidna want to get away from BT hardware anyway. Tired of not being able to do literally anything on them, not even change DNS.
The speed of your internet is relevant as it would be a factor in deciding what sort of router would be sufficient for you.

The speed of your internet is relevant as it would be a factor in deciding what sort of router would be sufficient for you.
Currently just standard FTTC speed but I'll likely be moving to a 150 or maybe even 500 package on FTTP if the price is good.

Currently just standard FTTC speed but I'll likely be moving to a 150 or maybe even 500 package on FTTP if the price is good.

Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of those different products? FTTC (VDSL2), G.Fast and FTTP? Is there a third party device that tackles all three?

:: edit ::
Spoke too soon. Just saw there are some these days that can do all of them. Nice to know. :) (For those interested, a WAN port for FTTP, and a VDSL2/GFast combined modem inside the router permitting it to tackle all three and without needing to do much to swap between them)

Last edited:
Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of those different products? FTTC (VDSL2), G.Fast and FTTP? Is there a third party device that tackles all three?

:: edit ::
Spoke too soon. Just saw there are some these days that can do all of them. Nice to know. :) (For those interested, a WAN port for FTTP, and a VDSL2/GFast combined modem inside the router permitting it to tackle all three and without needing to do much to swap between them)
My understanding is right now on FTTC I get a Openreach modem (like a Huawei HG612) and put that into the Eero or whatever. Then if you do move to FTTP, you just throw out the Huawei modem (since it'll be cheap on the bay to buy anyway) and connect the Eero to the ONT or whatever the engineer installs on the wall.

My understanding is right now on FTTC I get a Openreach modem (like a Huawei HG612) and put that into the Eero or whatever. Then if you do move to FTTP, you just throw out the Huawei modem (since it'll be cheap on the bay to buy anyway) and connect the Eero to the ONT or whatever the engineer installs on the wall.
Ah, I thought when you said earlier that you didn't want any BT devices, you meant the Modems too. My bad. :p

Although... I don't think the HG612 does GFast, so it'll only do VDSL only (FTTC), anything faster and you'll need to get another device. And I think BT only offers the Smart Hubs for that so that goes back to not wanting BT devices again which rules it out I think. Although as said, it does look like there are external third party devices that do handle VDSL (FTTC) and GFast all in one. And when you get a FTTP ONT, can then just plug into the WAN port and roll from there. :)

If you can get FTTP, you can have all of those products over FTTP.
I had forgotten that could be done that way too, nice point. :)

Although, if you have FTTP and you're not attempting to rock with your own gear at least 300/XXX (especially given pricing these days for the different bands being so much closer), I'd be really dissapointed. :D

People might just want to get away from a rate-adaptive service that turns to crap every time the weather is bad. 40/10 FTTP is perfectly adequate for the average work-from-home office user assuming they are the only person using it - that's enough bandwidth for the highest quality video calls, VDI, 4K streaming services etc.

Back
Top Bottom