GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Yep the engine is very low, lower than the top of the wheels. But the EU regs say there has to be a big gap between the engine and bonnet for safety reasons (which is totally ruined with a strut bar lol), which might be bigger than it was in 2012. Also the headlights have to be over a certain height for some dumb reason :/

Yea theres more power on this one, but I doubt it's going to fix the lack of torque at low revs. It's just a slightly bigger version of the same engine. Way more expensive too.

Head Impact Criteria (HIC) has to have a lower than 1000 for the average plot across the impact area with some areas allowing a score up to 1800, as you observed this might be around the strut brace.

Shock as regulations to preserve human life are actually a lot clearer than a wide boy on the internet tries to passively dismiss.

Soldato
Yea theres more power on this one, but I doubt it's going to fix the lack of torque at low revs.

That's exactly what they have done. Torque now peaks at a much more usable 3700RPM. It's welcome news given the first gen's famous lack of torque until you're almost at the redline, so has been quite widely reported in most articles about the car.

Two trims of the GR 86 will be available when the sports car goes on sale in November of this year: the base GR 86 and the GR 86 Premium. Both cars are powered by a 2.4-liter H-4 engine that makes 228 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 184 lb-ft of torque at 3,700 rpm—gains of 23 horses and 28 lb-ft of twist, respectively.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/news/2022-toyota-gr-86-engine-specs-revealed/amp/

Edit: eurgh, "twist"

Caporegime
Head Impact Criteria (HIC) has to have a lower than 1000 for the average plot across the impact area with some areas allowing a score up to 1800, as you observed this might be around the strut brace.

Shock as regulations to preserve human life are actually a lot clearer than a wide boy on the internet tries to passively dismiss.

What are the numbers based upon? Is it a force measurement or scoring of some sort?

Soldato
Not GT86 specific, but has anyone seen the new servicing offer from Toyota? Toyota 5 Club is over (giving 20% off service and MOT for Toyota over 5 years old) and is now replaced with free 1 year extended warranty as long as your car is under 10 years old. Now I know its worth circa £240 but I'd still rather have the discount I think.

I found out when booking my next service. I told them it was a shame about losing the 20% discount so they offered 10%. Next year my GT86 will be 10 years old so will probably go to an indy for servicing.

Soldato
The warranty is better I think. But the 20% discount also worked for cars of any age over 5 :/

I actually get a better deal with the Lotus garage I use for the Elise. Free MOT with a service, free labour on MOT repairs and a 10% discount on the service if it's done over the winter months.

Soldato
I've not been able to take advantage of the 5+ discount because they kept messing up the warranty work and offering free servicing as an apology. My next service is also free and then the car will be over 10 years old so there's no benefit to a dealer service for me after that. With the 5+ I would have continued.

Soldato
Service and MOT went fine on 70K - tyres are wearing unevenly (2.5-4mm left average) and tracking of front tyres is out. My current tyres are 2 years old and covered 18k miles, so will change them in a couple of months; will keep an eye on tyre offers.

I've been having stiff gear changes for a few months, especially reverse 1st and 2nd and I asked them to test drive it to see if they thought the same. They said yes, and said could be gear linkages. They quoted 2h minimum just to diagnose. Is that right? Anything I can try myself and at the risk of suggesting something stupid...just applying some wd40 at the base of the gearstick if I can get the gaiter off? Or would I be wasting my time?

Associate
FWIW, I still think the GT86 is SUCH a good-looking car! And - not having driven one - I suspect the power is enough for the road. Of course, moar would be better :D It's still on my real-world wishlist...

Soldato
I've been having stiff gear changes for a few months, especially reverse 1st and 2nd and I asked them to test drive it to see if they thought the same. They said yes, and said could be gear linkages. They quoted 2h minimum just to diagnose. Is that right? Anything I can try myself and at the risk of suggesting something stupid...just applying some wd40 at the base of the gearstick if I can get the gaiter off? Or would I be wasting my time?

Have you ever had the gearbox oil changed? That would be my first port of call. I switched to Millers gearbox oil and it improved the feel of the gearbox noticeably and all but got rid of the crunchy 2nd gear when cold. If you are able to jack the car up, it's relatively easy to do yourself.

You could also try adjusting the clutch pedal slightly; sometimes notchy gear changes could be caused by the clutch not disengaging fully, and adjusting the rod which connects the pedal to the master cylinder can give you a little more throw, which can help. But it's a bit more involved and should be done carefully, as it can also affect your bite point. But if you've only started to experience issues recently, I'd try a change to a good quality gearbox oil first.

Soldato
Have you ever had the gearbox oil changed? That would be my first port of call. I switched to Millers gearbox oil and it improved the feel of the gearbox noticeably and all but got rid of the crunchy 2nd gear when cold. If you are able to jack the car up, it's relatively easy to do yourself.

You could also try adjusting the clutch pedal slightly; sometimes notchy gear changes could be caused by the clutch not disengaging fully, and adjusting the rod which connects the pedal to the master cylinder can give you a little more throw, which can help. But it's a bit more involved and should be done carefully, as it can also affect your bite point. But if you've only started to experience issues recently, I'd try a change to a good quality gearbox oil first.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the paperwork for when they replaced my clutch when they did the recall work two years ago.

Soldato
Thanks Toyota. Aircon has gone pop, needs a new condenser. Can't be proven if it was a failure from assembling the car from the recall or something more recent but I've had to have some oil leaks patched post recall which has made a lovely mess on the exhaust. Went in for a regas and was shocked to be handed a quote for £844.

If the service had been just 3 weeks later it would have been covered under this new Toyota warranty that replaced the 5+ club but stupidly I was trying to keep the service closer to the schedule and not waiting post lockdown to get it done, discount wouldn't have mattered as it was on a service plan from a previous warranty fluffup.

Dealer recognises they need to handle this better unusually and is trying to work on goodwill, but still waiting for Toyota to respond for parts. Annoyingly I'd got some upgrades which requires another rad going in next to the condenser and I can't install that until the AC is fixed now.

Soldato
Thanks Toyota. Aircon has gone pop, needs a new condenser. Can't be proven if it was a failure from assembling the car from the recall or something more recent but I've had to have some oil leaks patched post recall which has made a lovely mess on the exhaust. Went in for a regas and was shocked to be handed a quote for £844.

If the service had been just 3 weeks later it would have been covered under this new Toyota warranty that replaced the 5+ club but stupidly I was trying to keep the service closer to the schedule and not waiting post lockdown to get it done, discount wouldn't have mattered as it was on a service plan from a previous warranty fluffup.

Dealer recognises they need to handle this better unusually and is trying to work on goodwill, but still waiting for Toyota to respond for parts. Annoyingly I'd got some upgrades which requires another rad going in next to the condenser and I can't install that until the AC is fixed now.

That sucks. If I recall, you've been pretty plagued with poor warranty service, haven't you?
Is it the same dealer? Perhaps you can use their poor history to kick up a bit more of a fuss to get them to sort it for you.

Soldato
Have to do the rounds, this dealer network regularly rotates staff so you can have an issue with one manager one year and it's a completely different team the next. After the last set of issues and the service plan they offered I thought it was only fair to see if they'd changed teams and they had so I booked the service with them. As soon as I got the quote I had to go out and speak to Toyota like I usually do but once I'd gone back inside they'd already started the ball on their end to see if there was a way of heavily discounting it if Toyota wouldn't cooperate. I have gone soft though, they've put some work in and these things do happen. If the cost comes down to the price it would be to have a 1234yf regas and the unit at cost price I'd probably pay it just to get it done, but the current bill is nearly more than I've paid in 8 years of servicing! If they'd have offered no concession or just sent me on my way I'd be fighting this a lot harder.

Soldato
The "new" AC gas is crazy expensive vs the old one. If you have an older car some of them are still using the old one as they switched back for a while.

Soldato
The "new" AC gas is crazy expensive vs the old one. If you have an older car some of them are still using the old one as they switched back for a while.

I stand to be corrected, but I have a feeling this isn't true anymore. R1234yf is becoming more common, so whilst it's still currently more expensive than R134a, it's not horrendously so. Sure I saw a few owners who got their system regassed and said the cost was much lower than anticipated.
My car is 7.5-8 years old now, has R1234yf AC, but I never turn it off and it's still blowing ice cold, so hopefully not something I have to deal with for a while.

Soldato
Seems the embargo is up today, so starting to see a few initial reviews surfacing of the new GR86. I've watched a few so far, perhaps the best one for actually showing how it drives is by TheTopher.

I have to say, I'm really starting to warm to the idea of one of these. Seems the overall impression is that it's an evolution, and that the new engine is much more usable - the torque dip is gone and now peaks at 3700RPM. One gripe is that it doesn't sound brilliant, and has a sound synthesiser. Hopefully that'll be just a matter of pulling a fuse, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of exhaust options on the aftermarket.

I'm still not sold on the looks. Don't think it looks bad, but I think the current generation looks better. Also, there seems to be only two wheel choices....17" diamond cut or 18" black :/

That said, it certainly looks like that torque bump has made it more enjoyable to drive, so I think I could probably get over the looks, especially as the interior is improved (not hard I know) with some refinements....better infotainment, materials, etc. Certainly going to be watching this with interest, I believe currently due to the UK later this year/early next year. Of course, the big question will be price. I hear rumours of £28K.

Soldato
I'm still not sold on the looks. Don't think it looks bad, but I think the current generation looks better.

It feels like they massacred by boy in the looks dept.

I'm not sure I can look past that. I was hoping I'd get more used to it, but the new look just feels off and it's not grown on me at all :(

Soldato
It feels like they massacred by boy in the looks dept.

I'm not sure I can look past that. I was hoping I'd get more used to it, but the new look just feels off and it's not grown on me at all :(

Yes, it's a shame. It feels like they've improved on everything...except the looks. I'm going to hold on and wait until I see it in the flesh before I judge too harshly though.

I also have a feeling it will be very colour sensitive. So far I've only seen videos of it in white and red; but the photos I've seen of it it dark grey and "neptune blue" make it look much better.

Back
Top Bottom