• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx 1080 at 4k 60 / 1440p 144hz; stick or twist?

Soldato
Is Samsung ok for scaling?
They're OK, but I'd avoid Samsung for other reasons (TV as a PC monitor) - namely, they don't do sRGB properly on the QLEDs and have some issue with chroma. So you're going to have some clownish colours on occasion if we're talking regular non-HDR content. Their PWM flicker is also quite sickly and gimped in PC mode, so that's another negative. [What I mean]

Soldato
They're OK, but I'd avoid Samsung for other reasons (TV as a PC monitor) - namely, they don't do sRGB properly on the QLEDs and have some issue with chroma. So you're going to have some clownish colours on occasion if we're talking regular non-HDR content. Their PWM flicker is also quite sickly and gimped in PC mode, so that's another negative. [What I mean]

Is that why I can't seem to be 444 Full range or 10bit RGB full?

Soldato
Why? Panasonic's TVs have lower input lag than Sony's.

They're poorer with PC usage. For HDR the tone mapping of current ones is subpar so you don't get as good of a HDR presentation for high brightness situations (like AC Odyssey), what I mean here at 7:59 (https://youtu.be/4QhvvyckAvA?t=479). There's also issues with motion & artifacting. They're not bad, but they're much better (if not the best) as just TVs. For mixed usage, no one can beat Sony right now - even more so if usage is more PC than TV.

So it's not possible with any cable/adaptor?

Nope. Only possible with HDMI 2.1, i.e a new TV & GPU/other hardware (which aren't even out yet).

Soldato
They're poorer with PC usage. For HDR the tone mapping of current ones is subpar so you don't get as good of a HDR presentation for high brightness situations (like AC Odyssey), what I mean here at 7:59 (https://youtu.be/4QhvvyckAvA?t=479).
You're talking about Sony being the best, yet you link a comparison to the LG C8 using its dynamic tone mapping feature for game mode, which does boost brightness in HDR games, but comes with its own issues and has nothing to do with Sony. As for "subpar" tone mapping, that's just nonsense. There's no set standard for tone mapping, with each manufacturer choosing between either preserving ABL or preserving highlight detail, since no consumer OLED can come close to the brightness levels needed to display the content "as intended" (especially with games that are often mastered to 4000 or even 10000 nits). It's interesting that you're cheering on Sony over Panasonic in respect of brightness, because Panasonic offer a brighter HDR presentation than Sony. Panasonic's 2018 OLEDs match LGs in terms of peak brightness and the relaxed nature of their ABL, whereas Sony's is much more aggressive. You're objectively going to get a dimmer HDR presentation using a Sony OLED over a Panasonic one. LCDs are another matter, since Panasonic have basically given up on them at the high end, but Sony aren't the best in that market either. Samsung are utterly dominant in the high end LCD space, with their newer QLEDs winning by every metric over Sony's efforts, from peak brightness to black levels to input lag.

There's also issues with motion & artifacting. They're not bad, but they're much better (if not the best) as just TVs. For mixed usage, no one can beat Sony right now - even more so if usage is more PC than TV.
Simply inaccurate. There are zero issues with motion if we're talking gaming, where you're not going to be using frame interpolation. Sony have the best solution for that on the market, but it's of no use for gaming because it sends input lag through the roof. Panasonic had a minor issue with occasional stutter in 50Hz content with their 2017 models, but this has no relevance to gaming as games don't run at 50Hz (unless you're planning to hook up a PS1 to it). There are no issues with artifacting outside of frame interpolation (and all manufacturers' solutions introduce it), which again has no relevance to gaming. And if we ARE talking about things which are relevant to gaming, Sony's TVs have markedly higher input lag than pretty much anything else on the market. The new X1 Ultimate chipset improved things a bit, but they're still a way off Panasonic, LG and especially Samsung.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but your claims make no sense. There's absolutely nothing about Sony TVs which makes them more suitable for gaming than Panasonic's. The advantages that they do have over other brands are relevant to TV and movie content only. LG and Samsung could both be said to have advantages for just gaming over both Panasonic and Sony, but fall notably behind in other areas.

Soldato
You're talking about Sony being the best, yet you link a comparison to the LG C8 using its dynamic tone mapping feature for game mode, which does boost brightness in HDR games, but comes with its own issues and has nothing to do with Sony. As for "subpar" tone mapping, that's just nonsense. There's no set standard for tone mapping, with each manufacturer choosing between either preserving ABL or preserving highlight detail, since no consumer OLED can come close to the brightness levels needed to display the content "as intended" (especially with games that are often mastered to 4000 or even 10000 nits). It's interesting that you're cheering on Sony over Panasonic in respect of brightness, because Panasonic offer a brighter HDR presentation than Sony. Panasonic's 2018 OLEDs match LGs in terms of peak brightness and the relaxed nature of their ABL, whereas Sony's is much more aggressive. You're objectively going to get a dimmer HDR presentation using a Sony OLED over a Panasonic one. LCDs are another matter, since Panasonic have basically given up on them at the high end, but Sony aren't the best in that market either. Samsung are utterly dominant in the high end LCD space, with their newer QLEDs winning by every metric over Sony's efforts, from peak brightness to black levels to input lag.

Should've been clearer. When I said Sony, I was talking about their LCDs as compared to the OLEDs (because Panasonic only releases OLEDs for their high-end), not their Sony OLEDs. The link with the C8 was more for the showcase of the Panasonic's tone mapping, not for a comparison to the C8. As for Samsung being "utterly dominant" in the LCD space. I've already explained the issues with them (for PC usage) and why they're actually subpar in the previous posts; I will only add another comment, the black levels thing is a joke, because for those "better" black levels you have massive black crush - great, I can do that on Sony too if I want to, but I care about details. If you consider that a premium TV, go for it. The brightness is entirely why I wouldn't consider/recommend an OLED for HDR gaming, because outside of very dark scenes it falls very short and looks sickly almost (https://youtu.be/a-uL2hXA0Ww).

Simply inaccurate. There are zero issues with motion if we're talking gaming, where you're not going to be using frame interpolation. Sony have the best solution for that on the market, but it's of no use for gaming because it sends input lag through the roof. Panasonic had a minor issue with occasional stutter in 50Hz content with their 2017 models, but this has no relevance to gaming as games don't run at 50Hz (unless you're planning to hook up a PS1 to it). There are no issues with artifacting outside of frame interpolation (and all manufacturers' solutions introduce it), which again has no relevance to gaming. And if we ARE talking about things which are relevant to gaming, Sony's TVs have markedly higher input lag than pretty much anything else on the market. The new X1 Ultimate chipset improved things a bit, but they're still a way off Panasonic, LG and especially Samsung.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but your claims make no sense. There's absolutely nothing about Sony TVs which makes them more suitable for gaming than Panasonic's. The advantages that they do have over other brands are relevant to TV and movie content only. LG and Samsung could both be said to have advantages for just gaming over both Panasonic and Sony, but fall notably behind in other areas.

The artifacting is obvious in the german link I've posted above (from 9:07), if you want to hand-wave that away, again - fine. I'm not here to sell anyone on a TV, just offer guidance. The point about input lag, absolutely nonsensical though, there's a 3ms difference between e.g. a FZ900 & a XF90 while the latter can always use Sony's better motion interpolation which adds no input lag and dims much less than the BFI on the Panasonic, which you'll want to enable unless you like horrible motion blurring for your image. I'm not gonna debate this point because it will be up the individual to judge the 2 TVs side by side and make up their mind. For me, the motion on Sony's recent LCDs is unquestionably better than any others' on the market, either LCD or OLED.

Back
Top Bottom