• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 or RTX 2070...which should I choose?

Associate
Hi All,

Been saving up for a new GPU for VR gaming and wanted to know whether I should go for a GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 as the pricing at the moment seems about the same if not the RTX 2070 a little cheaper!

Would hate to buy a GTX 1080 to find that in a month the price has dropped considerably.

Many thanks
Daz

Soldato
Wait for black Friday and see if there are any really good deals on 1080's.

Don't buy a 2070 expecting to use the titular feature (RTX) because its too weak a card here to provide anything but a rather sub par experience.

Just don't be paying £600 or more for a 2070 that's the same as some 1080ti's we're going for recently.

Edit: if you don't already have a Gysnc monitor vega64 on offer with three games isn't a bad shout as above.

Associate
Just don't be paying £600 or more for a 2070 that's the same as some 1080ti's we're going for recently.

But assuming they're both the same price... on black Friday... would it be stupid to get the 1080ti as opposed to 2070?

EDIT: Just realised the 2070 is over £100 cheaper than the 1080ti and the choice should be between 1080ti and 2080 right?

EDIT x2: Just realised OP is talking about the 1080 not the 1080ti lol

Associate
1080s won't get any cheaper, very few of the cards left. At the same price there's 0 reason to not go with the 2070 as it has a ton of features Pascal doesn't have even beside RTX, which is unclear, whether it will ever be useful for a 2070.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. One pal of mine said that there are loads of issues with the RTX cards and many are dying within a short period of time...anyone know if this is the case or just scaremongering?

It would appear from the replies above that I should be looking at a RTX 2070 then. You would have thought people would be dropping the price of the 1080's to clear them?

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £610.68 (includes shipping: £11.70)

***Plus £150ish worth of games***

or

Total: £617.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

No brainer really. You can swap out the monitor for another 1440p freesync one and the gpu monitor bundle will still be similar price to a 2070

Soldato
Hi All,

Been saving up for a new GPU for VR gaming and wanted to know whether I should go for a GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 as the pricing at the moment seems about the same if not the RTX 2070 a little cheaper!

Would hate to buy a GTX 1080 to find that in a month the price has dropped considerably.

Many thanks
Daz

Vega 64 @ £400 (+ 3 games) is no difficult choice.
Then pay a visit to the owners discussion here to see how to cut power to make it run cooler and faster. I have posted the settings there and many are happy.

Associate
Vega 64 @ £400 (+ 3 games) is no difficult choice.
Then pay a visit to the owners discussion here to see how to cut power to make it run cooler and faster. I have posted the settings there and many are happy.

Could you provide a link to those settings please. Got mine on Friday and loving it so far! But if I can improve the performance then that would be an added bonus!

Soldato
Total: £610.68 (includes shipping: £11.70)

***Plus £150ish worth of games***

or

Total: £617.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

No brainer really. You can swap out the monitor for another 1440p freesync one and the gpu monitor bundle will still be similar price to a 2070

now that is a game bundle worth influencing with unlike the AC series, makes me wish i waited to get my 570 now given the same model is on sale on here and with those games lol.

Permabanned
I'd never buy a brand new last gen card from Nvidia as performance will only be going in one direction and that's down, Over the coming year the 2070 will start improving and it's performance will start pulling away from the 1080's. We see it every generation, Nvidia do not purposely slow the older gens performance they simply focus on maximising the new gen's performance in upcoming games while not doing so for the last gen.

Associate
I'd never buy a brand new last gen card from Nvidia as performance will only be going in one direction and that's down, Over the coming year the 2070 will start improving and it's performance will start pulling away from the 1080's. We see it every generation, Nvidia do not purposely slow the older gens performance they simply focus on maximising the new gen's performance in upcoming games while not doing so for the last gen.
That's true but even the 2070 cards are failing now. I would avoid Nvidia for the time being.

Caporegime

Well the 980ti was beating the 1070 here so the last gen cards don’t suddenly become rubbish when the new gen hits...

My GTX 780 was a great card and was still holding it’s own in my nephews pc at 1080p and that’s 3 gens old

And I highly doubt my 1080ti will suddenly become slow overnight and yet it cost £599 and some 2070 are even more than this.

My advice is to miss 20 series altogether, either buy a Vega 64 or try and grab a used 1080ti or even a used 1080

Back
Top Bottom