• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 or RTX 2070...which should I choose?

Permabanned
Well the 980ti was beating the 1070 here so the last gen cards don’t suddenly become rubbish when the new gen hits...

My GTX 780 was a great card and was still holding it’s own in my nephews pc at 1080p and that’s 3 gens old

It doesn't happen overnight and it doesn't suddenly become a slower card, Nothing happens to how older cards perform in older games. I think the problem's due to Nvidia not making as big an effort on driver optimisations for older generation cards as they do for whatever the current gen is, because of that we often see older Nvidia cards perform poorly in new games where driver optimisations are needed for what ever reason, As a worst case example take a look at the Forza Horizon 4 results, the 980ti isn't where it should be in the charts and it's a repeat of the same problem we've seen with Kepler cards.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1716-forza-horizon-4-gpu-benchmarks/

Soldato
Buy the 2070. Good deal faster than the 1080 or the Vega 64.

It's also much quieter, cooler, and less power hungry than the Vega.

These forums are full of Nvidia haters so be very careful with the advice. I suggest you check reviews thoroughly. This is a good start: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-gaming-z-review,1.html

Good deal faster than the 1080 or the Vega 64.....and a good deal more expensive. You can buy a 32" 1440p freesync monitor AND a graphics card, for the same price as a 2070! Plus you get £150 worth of AAA titles free. Even a hardened nvidia fan would admit that's a pretty compelling reason to go AMD for a GPU upgrade.

2070 just isn't worth the money it is being sold for. The link you supplied was a review for the Gaming Z which is over £600

Caporegime
Good deal faster than the 1080 or the Vega 64.....and a good deal more expensive. You can buy a 32" 1440p freesync monitor AND a graphics card, for the same price as a 2070! Plus you get £150 worth of AAA titles free. Even a hardened nvidia fan would admit that's a pretty compelling reason to go AMD for a GPU upgrade.

2070 just isn't worth the money it is being sold for. The link you supplied was a review for the Gaming Z which is over £600

Anantech bench suggest the 2070 is not a good deal faster...they trade blows depending on games.

You’re right , in the here and now Vega makes sense for the price.

Associate
If the OP wants to spend the money he has saved on the best GPU he can buy, the 2070 is objectively the best card. Quickest, coolest, quietest, and uses the least power.

If wants to spend less, or values other peripherals / games, then yes, he can settle for a lesser graphics card.

Associate
OP
I should probably add that I play Eve Online and Elite Dangerous. The only reason for changing GPUs is I want to get an Oculus Rift for Elite Dangerous. I can't see me playing any games that would really tax some of the modern GPUs but don't want to sell myself short. My current GTX 770 has served me so well for years running 3 x 24" monitors with the games. The onus is getting a GPU for VR that'll see us through the developments over the next few years.

Caporegime
and it becomes a 1080? If that's the case why doesn't everyone do that? Are there any drawbacks?

Cause you can clock a 1080 too...

Loads of youtube videos. 1070 ti clocked up beats the 1080 at stock in most cases...

No drawbacks...slide your power limit up in after burner and clock it on the core and memory...loads of guides and videos out.

I was going to do this and get a 1070ti but got a 1080 ti at a great price.

Soldato

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_armor_8g_review,36.html

How about this one then which is cheaper than the 1080 and out performs it. Buy the way do you guys expect new cards to be cheaper than cards 2yrs old and be better. If you want Amd cards then fine they are great deals right now. Its not so long ago those same cards were £500 plus, so if you want Nvidia, for whatever reason, then the 2070 performs very well right now with current games(check the many reviews, incl. the one above, I have) without RT or DLSS or whatever it is. Some of the 2070 are silly money, there are others that are not. Thats why I bought one and with MY money!

1080Ti= £629.99
1080= £518.99
1070TI= £379.99
1070= £449.99
2070= £479.99
Work it out for yourselves guys, only one of the above cards out performs the 2070 and look how much more it costs and they will all be EOL shortly. No brainer for me and thats not allowing for the new tech or better drivers as the 2070 matures. ;):D

Last edited:
Soldato
@subbytna you can't get a 1440p FS&V64 for the £459 it costs for a 2070.

Pascal can't do DX 12/Vulcan remotely as good as Turing, so when Pascal stocks run dry, as @nashathedog stated, you get working Pascal profiles Vs fine tuned Turing profiles.

1070 v 980ti@launch was neck and neck, now 1070 is way out in front-so as what's always the case with NV it's bye bye gimped Pascal soon and 2070 will stretch it's legs.

In a year's time possible worst case scenario a £180 cheaper 2070 will be a bit slower/=1080ti but smash it's back doors in on DX12/Vulcan/DLSS.

Oh and by that time a few DLSS&RT titles should be out.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom