• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Pre-Orders

Associate
Probably 20% but won't know for sure until reviews come out.

If you can, return your 980Ti immediately. You will be able to get a 1080 with that money, or pocket the change and go for a 1070 which will likely perform same or close to an 980Ti, but will have 2gb extra vram, run cooler and quieter using less electricity and get better support via drivers going forward.

A no brainier if you able to return it.

Won't be able to do that I think. I have had it for about 2 months now. :)
Bought it as part of a completely new system here from OCUK

Caporegime
Well nobody knows yet, Polaris is compatible with HBM2 but yes it will most likely be Vega.

I highly doubt Polaris has an HBM(2) memory controller, would be a waste of transistors and a much more complex design. You can't just swap the memory between the 2, they have very different performance characteristics and the architecture of the card needs designing around the specifics of bandwidth, latency, timings etc.

Soldato
For similar reasons that Skylake features DDR3+4 IMC. Not saying it's likely, but it's obviously possible.

actually, it supports DDR3L and DDR4 - the DDR3L spec was brought out specifically to be compatible with skylake's DDR4 IMC
HBM is so totally different from GDDR, it would need a completely separate IMC for it

Last edited:
Soldato
You never know when an engineer is dumbing something down too much.

Maybe Raja just meant "we could put an HBM controller on it", because technically you can.

Anyway it's obvious he was dodging the question.

Soldato
Are there any official benchmarks out for the 1070 and 1080 yet or is it all just speculation that "it will be 20% faster than a 980Ti"? - ignore this, I have just found the reviews and shows its not

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, I should've screenshotted it earlier, but Arstechnica's GTX 1080 review did say that pre-orders start this Friday at one point =/

Whether that got changed because it was innacurate or because it wasn't meant to be public I dunno.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I should've screenshotted it earlier, but Arstechnica's GTX 1080 review did say that pre-orders start this Friday at one point =/

Whether that got changed because it was innacurate or because it wasn't meant to be public I dunno.

Yeh I saw that too, heres hoping. I guess realistcly it must be soon if the release is the 27th.

Back
Top Bottom