• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Capodecina
Permabanned
Really suprised at this, I thought people were talking about the 580GTX arriving next year? Everything I read seemed to point to that and all the fuss was about the new ATI cards.

Looking at the figures, the new 6970 and 6990 should be set to outperform this?

Associate
Funny how they all seem to want to defend the 580GTX right now - even though it burnt MORE power than a 480GTX; would cost you around £200 more than a 480GTX (SLI); and you would likely only get 7fps more than 480GTX SLI at Crysis!

hmm crysis who plays that anymore, look at the battlefield bad company 2 benchies at guru 3d, they are nearly double that of a 480 sli setup at 2560 x 1600, now thats impresive if they are acurate.

Associate
hmm crysis who plays that anymore, look at the battlefield bad company 2 benchies at guru 3d, they are nearly double that of a 480 sli setup at 2560 x 1600, now thats impresive if they are acurate.

Im not seeing that; they've only compared the 580 against the 580 sli at that resolution. The 480 sli v 580 sli in battlefield bad company 2 is only a 10 fps difference- again not worth the extra ~ £200 for the sli setup

580 is a good card but I feel that these reviews are trying to sell it a bit too much.

Associate
Noob question, I have 2 x GTX 260 SSC's in SLI and I use Nvidia 3d vision, is the GTX 580 worth the upgrade?

I held off from the 480 as I knew they did not get it right. (deactivated cores, heat and power issues)

Many thanks

Val

Associate

not sure if your referring to this chart:

as this is SLI 580 Versus single 580:)

EDIT Didn;t see The mamals' post so this is correct.

Last edited:
Associate
I have decided to retire my 8800GTX with a GTX 580 due to it being a bit long in the tooth to display even at 1680x1050 smoothly the graphical bangs and whistle in todays games. At the time I paid about the same price for my 8800GTX which has served me well untill now and in my own opinion it's worth paying for single GPU premium cards which will give quite a few years of service before even having to consider going SLI. Just need to wait for the full cover water blocks to come out now.

Associate
Sorry I know this hasn't been mentioned for a while, but I really can't see the logic in the argument that a 5970 kicks everything's ass. I mean, there are major issues getting 2 to work properly with crossfire. And either way you look at it, 4 480's or 580's will always perform better than two dual gpu cards with a lower spec per gpu. I can understand for a single gpu setup, obviously it's gonna be better, but hardly anyone who puts up this argument has just one gpu. Plus the 5000 series keeled over at the thought of tessellation. I think AMD are shooting themselves in the foot not releasing info about their 6900 series. As for the whole wait for the 6970 argument, Nvidia and AMD are good for different things, for example, though AMD works with 3D, it's notoriously hard to get working, has hardly any support for games or hardware, and needs 3rd party drivers that are buggy and cost extra to work, NVIDIA is fairly simple to get up an running and has much better support. AMD has eyefinity which is really cool for single card users but pointless feature if your gonna run crossfire, NVIDIA NEEDS two cards to run 3 monitors. I will hopefully be buying into both as I plan to build an I7 980x/990x / gtx 580 comp, and a phenom II 1090T with AMD's best offerings.
Personally, I think you should weigh out the features before which card performs 5% better, they are always gonna try one up each other.

I can't wait to see if AMD will wear the mockery crown this time round for heat/power usage, would amuse me.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't wait, I'm using a 1.8ghz amd seperon at the moment, in an HP Imedia machine from the 90s. It has DDR1 for Gods sake. Also building a budget with phenom II 965 to do coursework and shiz on.

On a more serious note, 580 throttling, am I right in thinking that it only throttles back as the result of benchmarking programs trying to push it past tdp? Like it has a list of programs which it will throttle back for, which is updated via drivers? Meaning if power goes past TDP during gaming or anything other than benchmarks you still get all the 580 overclockable goodness??? Cos if it throttles for everything, I'm seriously considering 480 sli with a monster water cooling setup

Back
Top Bottom