• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Soldato
Overclock of 8% is fugly.:rolleyes:

Still slower than 5970...uses the same ammount of power.

Its nice and quiet though!

So basically,it's in the same league as a 5970, but the 5970 is a bit better and cheaper. 5970 also has more memory. The only thing you gain is the 3D

Soldato
Really? I would have thought that the fan would be on 100% if the card has hit max temperature and is thermal throttling?

And what about that 300w max limit on the draw? As you increase the volts and overclock that is seriously going to kick in.

It will have a very crappy fan profile that kicks in when the cards already way too hot.

Don't use furmark, power consumption is way down in gaming.

5970 also has more memory. The only thing you gain is the 3D

5970 2GB has less memory to the tune of 500MB.;)

You don't have potentially dodgy xfire/SLI to that come with dual cards to deal with either.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Maybe we should all just sell our PC's and buy consoles and big tellys, our lives would be so much easier and stress free...........

....can believe I thought that, never mind typing it!

....I'll get my jacket!

Caporegime
One other thing. How much of the gtx580 performance has come from the new drivers? I noticed the gtx 480 is running on 258.96 vs 262.99 on the gtx580.

That might eat away more of the the difference between them

Associate
Looks interesting. Very strong showing from nVidia, they've obviously been doing their homework, especially in the case of the cooling solution. I'm wondering if the voltage ramping to keep power draw from peaking over 300W will have a significantly negative impact on PSU longevity.

Greebo said:
One other thing. How much of the gtx580 performance has come from the new drivers? I noticed the gtx 480 is running on 258.96 vs 262.99 on the gtx580.

That might eat away more of the the difference between them

ooh, nice catch :D

Caporegime
To be fair though, pretty lazy review, he used far too much crap that has little relevance and most of it are canned benchmarks.

3d mark 03, 05 and 06? really? And wtf is the point of benching at 1024x768? What is this 1998?

Soldato
Such a BS review, even if I could forgive the reviewer for failing to run Dirt 2 in DX11 and testing in stupidly low resolutions,

there's no excuse for some of the farcical game choices mixed in with the likes of 3d mark 03!! seriously wtf?

Wake me up when there's something better to look at *yawn* :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
580gtx is 33% quicker than 5870 in 1900x1200.....

I dont think 6970 can catch that.

There's no reason at all why the 6970 can't gain 30% over the 5870, the extra memory alone will account for some of that, that's without taking into account the new architecture.

I think it's more likely that Nvidia is going to be pretty screwed until 28nm since they really can't do much else, where's AMD will have their dual GPU card too.

Soldato
lol 580 gets a good review now enter the haters, the guy has all the top demanding games benched, AvP, BC2, metro2033, SCS and farcry 2.

# Substantial performance improvement over GTX 480
# Large reduction in power consumption vs. GTX 480
# Quieter than other cards in this performance class

Music to my ears.^

Back
Top Bottom