• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 680 Sli for 120hz Monitor

Associate
OP
Whats your max/load temperatures like with the windforce and ref combo?

The GPU usage in sli was mentioned before, I cant remember the answer now hmmm I'll have a look

I will check on the temps when I next play mate and post back.

edit: about 10 mins of skyrim:
Untitled_zps15bb5578.jpg

I set power management mode in nv cp to maximum performance, but made no difference really.

Yeah man, when I had my Phantom 410 the K2 looked MASSIVE. Heres my rig in the Phantom 630 and it looks much tidier:
20130404152205.jpg

Don't worry about the usage on those games, they're not demanding at all and I get the same usage. BF3 it sits between 40-50% usage on both cards completely maxed out. :)

Sometimes I think how much smaller it would be if I WC the CPU, but that is for another time, im happy with what I have for a long time:p

I am getting massive stutter in skyrim though, perhaps that game best used with just one card? or altering settings in NV control panel?

Last edited:
Associate
Wow under 50c for both cards? Do you have a side fan blowing on them? I was expecting something between 60-70c :O

Soldato
Wow under 50c for both cards? Do you have a side fan blowing on them? I was expecting something between 60-70c :O

Skyrim isn't really a demanding game, not for 2x670s anyway. Fire up crysis and it'll crank temps up a little but not by far. I don't see over 65'c on my top windforce 670, bottom doesn't go over 60. But I have good spacing between the cards and plenty of fans - 2x200mm top exhaust, 200mm side exhaust, 120mm back exhaust, 2x140mm front intake, 140mm blowing directly onto the cards. :D

Sometimes I think how much smaller it would be if I WC the CPU, but that is for another time, im happy with what I have for a long time:p

I've started saving to WC my CPU, comes to about £280 (check spec thread in wc'ing section). I hit 60 tops in general use, so I hope to drop that way way down with the EK delidded Ivy Bridge mounting system.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just gone SLI 680s on my BenQ XL2420T....i am dissappointed somewhat so far because it's strange performance like BF3 is 70-90fps most of the time on Ultra with 4xMSAA on 64 players open maps and Witcher 2 seemed to be about 80-100fps most of the time which both games do not seem much fps difference from single card.I am very sure my cpu is bottlenecking me, reckon a 4770k will help a lot? planning to upgrade to Haswell soon so.

Also Borderlands 2 fps was no different to single card same with Skyrim.

I have my SLI bridge connected to the leftside of the card but guess it wouldn't change anything connecting to the right?

Any other sli 680s users here for BF3 or this monitor? if so what's your performance like for certain games? thanks.

Associate
I've just gone SLI 680s on my BenQ XL2420T....i am dissappointed somewhat so far because it's strange performance like BF3 is 70-90fps most of the time on Ultra with 4xMSAA on 64 players open maps and Witcher 2 seemed to be about 80-100fps most of the time which both games do not seem much fps difference from single card.I am very sure my cpu is bottlenecking me, reckon a 4770k will help a lot? planning to upgrade to Haswell soon so.

Also Borderlands 2 fps was no different to single card same with Skyrim.

I have my SLI bridge connected to the leftside of the card but guess it wouldn't change anything connecting to the right?

Any other sli 680s users here for BF3 or this monitor? if so what's your performance like for certain games? thanks.

I run 670 SLI OC'd which is pretty much 680 stock performance if not better, which is for 120Hz gameplay. Adding a second card gave me nearly double the performance in BF3 and 95% of other games too.

SLI bridge position doesn't make a difference, you can connect 2 bridges too for looks but it's the same thing. I would lean towards your CPU, a Haswell chip would be a huge step :)

Associate
Youll see a big bottleneck with your cpu because i have same CPU and 7970 xfire and my frames are the same as a single card, i get just 50% usage on both cards

Soldato
er, not unless he was running without any video cards and using integrated graphics :D

a 2500k @4.5 is plenty for gaming, he just needs to go SLI for smooth 3d performance

I am on i7 920 at 4ghz :p but yeah the cards go 50-70% useage in BF3 :( however did more testing with Witcher 2 got 100-120fps often at some points maxed without ubersampling however they are certainly bottlenecked.

I get 4570 Heaven 3.0 score at 1920x1080, high,16xaf, normal tessellation, no aa so it is strange in some games that they do not fully use.(i've tried 320.18s and 314.22s for BF3 was no difference really.)

Seems like 4770k/MSI GD65/Corsair Vengeace 1600mhz 16gb ram/Corsair H80i/Samsung 840 500gb SSD would be a big upgrade?:p

Last edited:
Soldato
er, not unless he was running without any video cards and using integrated graphics :D

a 2500k @4.5 is plenty for gaming, he just needs to go SLI for smooth 3d performance

i5 can bottleneck two powerful cards in some games. Not a lot but quite a fair whack on GPU usage. Mainly resolved by an i7. Of course game has to support multi-threading...

Associate
I am on i7 920 at 4ghz :p but yeah the cards go 50-70% useage in BF3 :( however did more testing with Witcher 2 got 100-120fps often at some points maxed without ubersampling however they are certainly bottlenecked.

I get 4570 Heaven 3.0 score at 1920x1080, high,16xaf, normal tessellation, no aa so it is strange in some games that they do not fully use.(i've tried 320.18s and 314.22s for BF3 was no difference really.)

Seems like 4770k/MSI GD65/Corsair Vengeace 1600mhz 16gb ram/Corsair H80i/Samsung 840 500gb SSD would be a big upgrade?:p

That would be a great system to replace your current rig. I would opt for the H100i over the H80i given the Haswells can get pretty hot and it'll give you a little more headroom with overclocks.

Back
Top Bottom