• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gtx 680 sli gpu usage % issue

You can't use 3DM11 to base your argument on lol.

An i5 2500K does bottleneck two high end cards in BF3 and other games. Multiple people have reported it on these forums alone. It's not a massive bottleneck but it's definitely there.

@ gbgt2, 3DMark11 is not a good test for CPU Bottleneck in games.

A 3570K will bottleneck SLI GTX 680's easily in BF3, as Tonester linked in his post DG's 3770K can bottleneck an overclocked 7970 if its not clocked up properly.

You will get more from those GPU's if you clock the CPU up :)

With my 3930K clocked at 4.625Ghz, My GPU usage was around 80-85% in BF3 and with it at 5Ghz, my GPU usage was around 80-85%. I am not sure what it is (maybe something wrong my end) but I do know in all the other games I have tested, it is 99% for both GPU's.

I didn't say it was a problem and I doubt even 200fps would cause it to be maxed GIVEN THAT THE GAME WAS DESIGNED ON CONSOLES AND IS THEREFORE CPU LIMITED

Thanks for your input

Designed on consoles? :confused:

Oh lemme guess, you don't quite get what console port means do you?

*groan*

With my 3930K clocked at 4.625Ghz, My GPU usage was around 80-85% in BF3 and with it at 5Ghz, my GPU usage was around 80-85%. I am not sure what it is (maybe something wrong my end) but I do know in all the other games I have tested, it is 99% for both GPU's.

You're not at the frame limit by any chance? :p
I know on some maps when i have CF enabled i'm at a near constant 200fps.

An i5 2500K does bottleneck two high end cards in BF3 and other games. Multiple people have reported it on these forums alone. It's not a massive bottleneck but it's definitely there.

+1

Its more to do with lack of cores/threads compared to an i7 as I said earlier if I run this game I only have to have my hex core @4ghz.

If someone wants to use 3dmark11 to base their arguement on, its not the graphics score they should be looking at. Its the physics score thats important, this shows how much extra work the cores/threads on an i7 can do compared to an i5 2500k.

BF3 loves extra cores/threads.

Why not? You are talking about a particular game (BF3) being bottlenecked by the CPU, not the GPU's being bottlenecked. 3DMark 11 shows the GPU's will run at full whack with a 3570K. I've posted evidence, I haven't seen anything to disprove it other than hearsay .. :rolleyes:

Why not? You are talking about a particular game (BF3) being bottlenecked by the CPU, not the GPU's being bottlenecked. 3DMark 11 shows the GPU's will run at full whack with a 3570K. I've posted evidence, I haven't seen anything to disprove it other than hearsay .. :rolleyes:

Because the graphics score hardly uses the CPU

For a comparison to a game like BF3 which really uses the cores/threads on a CPU you need to compare the Physics or combined scores which also uses the the cores/threads on a CPU.

Heres one I did earlier, if you look at the scores for physics and combined there is no way a 2500k or 3570k will get close.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5005320

I understand a CPU bottleneck as being when the CPU cannot feed the GPU enough information to keep the GPU fully utilized. This is what I am disagreeing with. If you are saying games that rely heavily on the CPU could have a CPU bottleneck before the GPU is fully utilized, I completely agree.

Because you just can't. The graphics tests are not CPU intensive for a start. So you say you've posted evidence but you haven't really posted anything.

Using BF3 as an example: i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz; SLI 680 overclocked - GPU usage no higher than 85%.

Nothing changed other than the CPU to an i7 3770K at 4.6 GHz. GPU usage = 99%. That was my own experience others have seen the same.

BF3 is a bit borked on 6 series SLI at the moment so it's now difficult to replicate but loads of people on these forums moved from i5 to i7 of different sorts and experienced the same. BF3 likes the extra threads of i7 Ivy/Sandy and the extra cores/threads of the 3930K and above.

BF3 64MP is actually fairly CPU intensive.

Last edited:
Bump for a similar issue.

While it is all well and good to be CPU-bound, I simply disagree that the SLI usage per GPU should drop from 99% on a single card, to 40-50% when you add the second 680. This is my Scenario at the moment, and it makes absolutely no sense.

CPU at 3.6 GHz, i7 920 D0. The Power and Percentage graphs are flopping about 40-55% on MSI Afterburner after the upgrade, and I am running 2560x1440, Ultra settings with FXAA and SSAO.

My first instinct is to wheel out the case and ensure the SLI bridge is seated properly. My second is to download a bunch of Benchmark Tools and find out just wtf is going on.

Bump for a similar issue.

While it is all well and good to be CPU-bound, I simply disagree that the SLI usage per GPU should drop from 99% on a single card, to 40-50% when you add the second 680. This is my Scenario at the moment, and it makes absolutely no sense.

CPU at 3.6 GHz, i7 920 D0. The Power and Percentage graphs are flopping about 40-55% on MSI Afterburner after the upgrade, and I am running 2560x1440, Ultra settings with FXAA and SSAO.

My first instinct is to wheel out the case and ensure the SLI bridge is seated properly. My second is to download a bunch of Benchmark Tools and find out just wtf is going on.

I will save you the trouble and say my 3930K at stock will have my gpu's running at around 75% and when I clock to 4.6Ghz, the GPU usage goes to around 85% (5760*1080).

Is your I7 920 @ stock showing its age? Run Task manager whilst in game to see what your CPU cores are getting to. If they are ~80%, then you will be bottlenecking, if they are lower, something else is amiss.

I did the same tests at 5760*1080 on hitman absolution and got the same results.

I will save you the trouble and say my 3930K at stock will have my gpu's running at around 75% and when I clock to 4.6Ghz, the GPU usage goes to around 85% (5760*1080).

Is your I7 920 @ stock showing its age? Run Task manager whilst in game to see what your CPU cores are getting to. If they are ~80%, then you will be bottlenecking, if they are lower, something else is amiss.

I did the same tests at 5760*1080 on hitman absolution and got the same results.

Cheers for the reply - I will check the CPU usage tonight. Never had any issues with the 920 showing its age, its just that the difference in GPU usage is ridiculous tbh for having gone from single to dual GPU (but its all part of the fun with this hobby I guess :))

@Random Guy, It also depends on the game, is it bf3 by any chance?

I found a 3570k clocked to 4.5Ghz could not push my 480 sli enough, after upgrading to 3770k at 4.5Ghz it can now utilize the sli 480's.

hyperst, yes it is BF3, but the Crysis GPU Benchmark is also showing a similar usage profile. I don't expect the 920 to max out the GPUs but I don't expect a CPU bottleneck of 80-90% either, especially at 3.6 GHz!

Back
Top Bottom