• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 680 SLI Owners - How does this Unigine Benchmark Score look?

4K does seem low for 4Ghz with a 920...I thought they were good for 8k at that speed?

They should be around 8k or more depending on the memory speed and timings.

OP have you got hyperthreading turned on ?

Also what memory speed and timings are you using ?

Your monitor is fine, I use a 2560 x 1600 monitor and have no problem.

Last edited:
4K does seem low for 4Ghz with a 920...I thought they were good for 8k at that speed?

They should be around 8k or more depending on the memory speed and timings.

OP have you got hyperthreading turned on ?

Also what memory speed and timings are you using ?

Your monitor is fine, I use a 2560 x 1600 monitor and have no problem.

It is a 920 at 3.6 GHz. Hyperthreading is on.

Is my final score being pulled down by the low Physics score? Does the GPU score look okay?

If you are running your cards at their stock speed the graphics score is fine.

There is something very wrong with your CPU/Mem though. This is what is causing the low physics and also combined scores.

What memory are you using and what timings ?

The link below is an old one with a GTX 690 running on a X58 system. Don't take any notice of the graphics score the card is oced. The CPU is i7 975 @4.4ghz (very similar to an i7 920). Also the memory is quite fast so it pushes the physics score up a little bit.

If you look at the physics and combined scores it will give you an idea of how your CPU is performing.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4821234

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info.

My memory is running at 1400 MHz on automatic timings (read-out in CPUZ is 8-8-8-20-59-1T, FSB:DRAM is 2:8). Brand is Corsair DDR3 6GB Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8DG.

Many thanks for the info.

My memory is running at 1400 MHz on automatic timings (read-out in CPUZ is 8-8-8-20-59-1T, FSB:DRAM is 2:8). Brand is Corsair DDR3 6GB Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8DG.

1400 Mhz is a very odd figure for memory, I have just looked up your memory its rated 8-8-8-24 @1600mhz.

You could try adjusting your bclk or FSB DRAM to get it to 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 this should increase the physics score a bit.

Memory timings and speed on X58 help, iirc running 20x200 on my old 920 left the cpu at 4.0ghz, on an asus board that i had. I used the 8x multiplier for memory, multiply the base clock speed by 8 to give 1600mhz on the ram. Uncore or uclk clock was to be kept below 8000 mts. Also switching the ram from 1T command rate to 2Tcommand helped.

That memory is way off the mark. Manualy add the correct timings and see if that helps.

As pointed out, your Physics score is very low (especially for 4Ghz). It may be down to the memory and it could possibly be an unstable overclock.

Right, ran the Basic (Free) 3DMark 11 Benchmark, and got the following scores

P10020
Graphics Score 17970
Physics Score 4334

Holy crap! That doesn't look right at all :/

Is the low Physics Score indicative of a deeper issue?

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5707871

For a comparison of the Physics score for you Random Guy..

i7 920 clocked to 4.0Ghz (191x21) on a P6T Dlx v2 Asus board, memory running at 1526Mhz at 8-8-8-24 2T, scores me 8691 points for Physics.

As Gregster suggested, I'd check your overclock and look at the ram settings also.

3dmark11score2.jpg

An old result of mine with the i7 920, iirc the cpu was at 4.2ghz, (21x200), ram at 7-7-7-24 2T command rate. Gpu at 1320/7586.

Overall, 10054
Graphics, 10716
Physics, 8888
Combined, 7943

No verification link though, as it was deleted and replaced with the score from my spec in sig.

Its safe to assume there is a problem there, using 2 x 580's on the same heaven settings i get a score of 2759 without using a overclock on the gpu.

+1

Looking at it in 3dmark11 there is a problem with CPU/Mem

The benchmark reports that there are 8 threads (ie hyperthreading on) but the physics score is more consistant with it being off.

Memory timings and speed on X58 help, iirc running 20x200 on my old 920 left the cpu at 4.0ghz, on an asus board that i had. I used the 8x multiplier for memory, multiply the base clock speed by 8 to give 1600mhz on the ram. Uncore or uclk clock was to be kept below 8000 mts. Also switching the ram from 1T command rate to 2Tcommand helped.

That memory is way off the mark. Manualy add the correct timings and see if that helps.

As pointed out, your Physics score is very low (especially for 4Ghz). It may be down to the memory and it could possibly be an unstable overclock.

+1

Looking at it in 3dmark11 there is a problem with CPU/Mem

The benchmark reports that there are 8 threads (ie hyperthreading on) but the physics score is more consistant with it being off.

@all: Thank you so much for all the helpful advice - would buy each and every one of you a pint if I could :)

I have tried every trick in the book to set my BCLK to 200 but this mobo/CPU does not want to play ball.

I will manually set the timings in the BIOS to 8-8-8-24-1T and see if that makes a difference. Possible other settings that may be messing things up are EIST and PPM, but they have never given me a problem before being Enabled.

It is possible that my system is unstable, but never been in a Scenario where it has become apparent. Back to messing about with settings for now though - see where it leads...

Setting to 8-8-8-24-1T manually made no difference whatsoever.

Downloaded and ran the AIDA Benchmark and it looks like my memory scores are quite low. Need to get some more memory benchmark programs - any suggestions?

Not sure on memory bench tests but after you added those timings, did you adjust the speed in the BIOS for the memory? I am not too hot on memory timings and had issues of my own when trying to clock mine up.

8 Pack is the man and hopefully he will see this thread and help out. If not, he has his own thread which offers help.

Sorry I can't help any more (as far as the memory issues go).

Memtest86+ is worth a look, not a benchmarker, more of a diagnostic tool. Make the boot disk and let it run. Will stress your sticks and cause errors if sticks fail. Worth doing 1 stick at a time. Have you got the correct volts for your memory ? My bios defaulted to 1.5 but the sticks needed 1.65. See www.memtest.org

Not sure on memory bench tests but after you added those timings, did you adjust the speed in the BIOS for the memory? I am not too hot on memory timings and had issues of my own when trying to clock mine up.

8 Pack is the man and hopefully he will see this thread and help out. If not, he has his own thread which offers help.

Sorry I can't help any more (as far as the memory issues go).

Nope, no changes to speeds in BIOS so still running at 1400 MHz - getting the settings right to run at 1600 MHz cost me a few hours and ended up with no successes :(

Okay, some very interesting results here. I basically took the System back to "optimised defaults", so stock clocks on the CPU, but ensuring that I used the "XMP" Profile to run the RAM at its rated speed. Here is the new benchmark:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5728954

Compare this to the older result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5707871

Taking my CPU back to stock and increasing RAM speed resulted in a final score of P12415, as opposed to my overclocked 920 at 3.6 GHz scoring P10020!!!

Amazed but a bit confused at the moment....

Back
Top Bottom