• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Lightning VS. R9 290X Lightning @ 1080p

Soldato
Hierarchy not price matters :)

Only in your opinion. Thankfully pretty much every single professional review site compares price vs price.

R9 290 custom AIB cards from ~£300 - £350

R9 290X from ~£350 - £500
GTX780 from ~£340 - £480
GTX 780Ti from ~£460 - £620

So a LOT of overlap there with GTX780, R9 290X and 780T. The R9 290 is actually cheaper than all of them. The good review sites always try to compare price vs price.

If we were to follow your logic it would be 780Ti vs R9 295X.

Soldato

What, a single GPU vs dual GPU?
Don't think that was Rusty's logic somehow, more that this review is comparing a 780 vs a 290X, where it should be against either a 780ti or a 290.

Shock horror the 290X wins, everything, the card it's competing against is 1 tier lower.

Soldato
Only in your opinion. Thankfully pretty much every single professional review site compares price vs price.

R9 290 custom AIB cards from ~£300 - £350

R9 290X from ~£350 - £500
GTX780 from ~£340 - £480
GTX 780Ti from ~£460 - £620

So a LOT of overlap there with GTX780, R9 290X and 780T. The R9 290 is actually cheaper than all of them. The good review sites always try to compare price vs price.

If you're comparing pure performance then price doesn't matter. Sure it does when buying but this review isn't really along those lines.

I don't think it's particularly surprising that a 290X beats a 780 as it is one notch above it hierarchically. That was my point. Obviously factoring price into the equation changes the angle but comparing a card to a card above it doesn't really show anything all that surprising. I would have been more interested to see 780 vs 290 or 290X vs 780Ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
What, a single GPU vs dual GPU?
Don't think that was Rusty's logic somehow, more that this review is comparing a 780 vs a 290X, where it should be against either a 780ti or a 290.

Shock horror the 290X wins, everything, the card it's competing against is 1 tier lower.

I see you are also missing the point. This is not a professional review, it is two individuals who took the time to compare their own personal GPUs. It doesn't matter what tier they are from, just accept it for what it is. Two guys took the time and effort to present their work. I can appreciate it for what it is and even commented that at the top tier only a few % is the difference due to silicone lottery.

Rusty's first post in this thread was to deride the work Rtsurfer and Face2Face did because it wasn't top vs top tier. Completely missing the point they guys could only test what they had available. He simply could not get around the idea that Nvidia lost at something, even if it is trivial. His first comment is purely derisory in an effort to belittle the results.

Soldato
Rusty's first post in this thread was to deride the work Rtsurfer and Face2Face did because it wasn't top vs top tier. Completely missing the point they guys could only test what they had available. He simply could not get around the idea that Nvidia lost at something, even if it is trivial. His first comment is purely derisory in an effort to belittle the results.

lol brilliant. I couldn't give a monkeys if nVidia lost at something. Don't confuse me with Gregster :p.

I didn't deride the results either. Reading and comprehension failure? I said (implied in my tongue in cheek comment) that it wasn't a like for like comparison hierarchically so therefore isn't really a surprising result.

Wind ya neck in. :p

Soldato
lol brilliant. I couldn't give a monkeys if nVidia lost at something. Don't confuse me with Gregster :p.

I didn't deride the results either. Reading and comprehension failure? I said (implied in my tongue in cheek comment) that it wasn't a like for like comparison hierarchically so therefore isn't really a surprising result.

Wind ya neck in. :p

Your first post below.

Can we compare a 780Ti to a 290? :p

There is no reading comprehension failure here, considering it was a simple sentence it is hard to fail at comprehending the intent. You were straight in with the derisory troll post with the stick out tongue smiley at the end. Even if it is tongue in cheek you are still insulting the work these guys spent time doing.

If that isn't derisory I don't know what is.

Soldato
Words = Lost.
Let's flip this on it's head...let's say i compared my 290 against someones 780ti, there would be outcry, how dare anyone compare two cards that are not even in the same tier!! You'd ask for the comparison to be made with a 290X.

I couldn't give two hoots if this was or wasn't a professional review, the results are not surprising, the cards compared are from two different tiers, price put aside.

Soldato
There is no reading comprehension failure here, considering it was a simple sentence it is hard to fail at comprehending the intent. You were straight in with the derisory troll post with the stick out tongue smiley at the end. Even if it is tongue in cheek you are still insulting the work these guys spent time doing.

If that isn't derisory I don't know what is.

I think you're a bit angry about something. How that comment can be construed as being insulting I will never know. The comment is what it is: a simple remark to the mismatch in the hierarchical position of the cards. What you (mis)interpret it as is your issue. You say it's a simple sentence which is hard to fail at comprehending and then go and do exactly that. Amazing mate :D.

Either way I haven't got the will to argue about the intention of my post. Like it or lump it.

Interesting, a stock Ref- 290 (947/1250) is baisically as fast as a GTX Titan, considering the price of that GPU when it came out not long ago, it puts a big :D on my face.

Yeah. The only criticism (and it's an old one so I apologise in advance) is the ruddy cooler they shipped them with :p.

The charts could have looked a lot better for AMD with a better cooling solution. Obviously custom coolers have completely changed that but unfortunately doesn't change a lot of the day 1 reviews which are there when you google for a 290/X review.

Last edited:
Soldato
Words = Lost.
Let's flip this on it's head...let's say i compared my 290 against someones 780ti, there would be outcry, how dare anyone compare two cards that are not even in the same tier!! You'd ask for the comparison to be made with a 290X.

I couldn't give two hoots if this was or wasn't a professional review, the results are not surprising, the cards compared are from two different tiers, price put aside.

Again the point is lost. Two wrongs don't make a right here. Rusty came straight into the thread with a derisory post. The fact if the roles were reversed some AMD fanboy would get upset does not make it OK.

Why is this GPU forum all about tit for tat?

Back
Top Bottom