• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***GTX 780 Ti Owners Thread***

Soldato
I've just added ALXAndy to my ignore list, so I won't be referencing him further.

Have you checked out this thread if you're not adverse to flashing your BIOS there is a SkyN3t one for the EVGA 780Ti SC which may allow you to overclock a bit more using your current cooler. I've just been through the process myself and am monitoring that thread so if you needed any help post there and I'll be notified.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit harsh ?

As a 780Ti SLI owner, I think they are brilliant cards. I would consider getting an AIO if I just had/ used one, as you should be able to use it on your next card purchase too. I'll be looking at these Kraken and AIO jobbies when I do a new system build in a few months

Associate
Have you checked out this thread if you're not adverse to flashing your BIOS there is a SkyN3t one for the EVGA 780Ti SC which may allow you to overclock a bit more using your current cooler. I've just been through the process myself and am monitoring that thread so if you needed any help post there and I'll be notified.

Thanks for the link ill give it a read. However for me i would not attempt to overvolt my card unless i've got an AIO on it as when I did attempt this in the past the ACX fans start to sound like jets.
My current overclock is on stock volts and is stable and quiet. This is why I haven't pushed it any further as I feel the sound and heat output (with the ACX cooler) are far too high to justify the extra fps.

I do miss the DirectCUII cooler on my previous card that was quiet! ACX...never again. However I've read the new ACX 2.0 is quieter.

Soldato
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/03/17/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/4

Go through the benchmarks. The 980 is not an upgrade, it's barely any faster than the 780ti.

What I don't get about those benchmarks is that at 4k ultra the 3GB 780ti doesn't seem to do significantly worse than the 6GB Titan, so what happened to all this crying about VRAM needed for 4k?

I'm kinda wishing I picked a couple up when they were £250 or whatever it was the other week.

Soldato
What I don't get about those benchmarks is that at 4k ultra the 3GB 780ti doesn't seem to do significantly worse than the 6GB Titan, so what happened to all this crying about VRAM needed for 4k?

I'm kinda wishing I picked a couple up when they were £250 or whatever it was the other week.

It's only really a couple of games that can do that and only with extreme settings.

Reviewers tend to get rather excited when a new Geforce GPU launches so the 980 was made to look a lot better than it was. But any way, as you can see there's nothing really in it so 'upgrading' to a 980 would net you hardly anything apart from less power consumption.

As a Titan Black owner I'm in the same boat. The Titan X has a stupid price so there's nothing worth upgrading to until the next gen of cards come out.

Caporegime
980 was essentially a 1 gig ram upgrade with lower power consumption. Amazes me the hype it had behind it, even making 780ti owners sidegrade to it. I think people were more wowed by having something new and shiny that sucked up less power than actually looking at the numbers it produced in games.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to upgrade from my gtx 570 to a 970 or 980, then read and watched a lot of reviews, and found that the evga 780ti sc i was thinking of getting, beat the 970 easily and even pipped the 980 to the post, so bought the 780ti ;), just finished reading all 969 posts, only took 2 days ;)

Caporegime
980 was essentially a 1 gig ram upgrade with lower power consumption. Amazes me the hype it had behind it, even making 780ti owners sidegrade to it. I think people were more wowed by having something new and shiny that sucked up less power than actually looking at the numbers it produced in games.

That's rubbish, Maxwell is a far better architecture than Kepler, 980 has something like a 40% higher pixel fill-rate and matches 780Ti with a significantly smaller memory bus. Nvidia aren't deliberately gimping Kepler in newer games, it's just nowhere near as good as 980.

Last edited:
Soldato
Old tech now, but just bought a pre-built watercooled PC with three of the 780Ti Kingpins

image1%203.jpg

IMG-20150902-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20150902-WA0013.jpg

Soldato
Guys any ideal why i cant enable the KBOOST option in EVGA Precision on my evga 780ti oc ? and when i enable any of the voltage options i also dont see the voltage go up in EVGA Precision either, cheers

Soldato
That's rubbish, Maxwell is a far better architecture than Kepler, 980 has something like a 40% higher pixel fill-rate and matches 780Ti with a significantly smaller memory bus. Nvidia aren't deliberately gimping Kepler in newer games, it's just nowhere near as good as 980.

That's rubbish. Back at ya :)

780ti and 980 was a gnats knacker of difference when the 980 launched. There's a bit more of a tip to the 980 now, but not enough to get excited about. The 780Ti was/ is a stonking card. 980Ti is obviously a completely different story.

Caporegime
Late to the party (very!)but I replaced my SLI GTX580's today with a 780ti which I run @ 5760x1080 and the improvement is terrific!

BF4 now running great with everything on ultra (no AA) smooth as silk, very happy with it, looking out for a second now to SLI again.

Terrific card, especially at what it cost me second hand. :)

Back
Top Bottom