• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 960 Upgrade

Associate
Hi, I am looking to upgrade this card to something newer. This card is great at 1080 but i'd like to run Cities Skylines at 4K on my 27" monitor. Budget is not huge but for the right card may stretch. Any ideas ?

Soldato
when you say 4k, do you mean 4k @ max resolutions no compromise everything on or do you mean you can compromise.

Because right now, nothing out there can do 4k with all the eye candy and expect 120fps. In that situation 1080ti or Titanxp.
1080 will do 4k with compromise, ie lowering some settings to get higher fps, but it can do it quite well.

1070ti if you overclock the hell out of it can do 4k with compromise on certain settings, ie turning some setting to minimum from high.

1070 and your are going into just barely be able to do 4k at acceptable frame rates. 1070 is mroe a 1140p card.

maybe wait a few months if you can for the 1170 or 1180 and give you a chance to save more, those cards should theoretically be better able to deal with 4k. If you are serious about your 4k gaming i would say wait and save up more, 4k on "budget is not huge" just not possible unless you somehow manage to get a great deal from somewhere.

Soldato
Do keep in mind that Cities Skylines is a draw call heavy game with lot of objects to render.

The game seem to be primarily only use mainly just one CPU core, so frame rate wise you would always get better framerate if you have a faster CPU.

Not saying you wouldn't need better graphic card for 4K, but you should definitely look your current system set-up as well to avoid (or at least attempt to minimise) the CPU bottleneck.

It's worthy keeping in mind that graphic card is more about having the graphic grunt for turning up the visual bells and whistles; whereas CPU grunt is more important for rendering huge number of objectives quickly.

Back
Top Bottom