Guardians of the Galaxy

Soldato
Finally gone and seen this after putting it off for a month.

I'll be honest, after all the hype I'm kind of disappointed - nowhere near as good as I expected it to be.

Thor 2 was better than this.
It's hard to put into words but it didn't move me - I did laugh at some things but at the end just felt kind of flat.

In a nutshell - too much cliche comic book, not enough sci-fi. But I suppose that is to be expected - it's still a decent film and I laughed at some things.

I loved the bounty hunting run around near the beginning before they got captured and taken to prison - makes me think of the Mobi-glas concept that will be in Star Citizen.

Positives:
- Great characters - Drax and Groot stand out as the best with Rocket a close third if it wasn't for his one-dimensional character (I will concede that at the end I liked him a lot more)
- some great dialogue/one liners - I thought Vin Diesel did a fantastic job voicing Groot
- good set pieces and nice visuals and effects - colourful and full of action as to be expected from a comic book science fantasy.
- love the old pop songs

Negatives:
- Mindless shallow story
- Some dialogue was just non stop shouting in each others faces, no change of tone - grew quite tiresome
- other than the pop songs most of the soundtrack was not memorable or fitting IMO

Overall - I'd rate GotG 7/10. Solid entertainment, nothing spectacular.

Edit:
I went to see this the other week and felt strangely unmoved by it. I enjoyed the humour and locations etc but just felt meh. Maybe it was the mood I was in. I think the last Marvel film I saw before this was the last Thor and I enjoyed that a lot more. *Shrugs* :).
I agree completely with this sentiment.

Last edited:
Associate
In all honesty I preferred the avengers, the trailers for this made it out to be some hand picked criminals being picked as a last resort to save the universe which was misleading as they kinda just chose to work together. I didn't see how they could all be friends there was no bonding between them.

Associate
I thought this was highly overrated and Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper should have swapped roles.

I couldn't buy Chris as some kind of intergalactic womanizer. I didn't like how his helmet somehow protected his whole body in space, but they didn't show any kind of forcefield coming out of it, and when he was exposed to space he would have been completely messed up. And why didn't the collect all the Groot twigs at the end and grow an army of Groots? I also found it weird that the whole universe speaks English, and humans are somehow on other planets, but that's comics for you.

Soldato
I thought this was highly overrated and Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper should have swapped roles.

I couldn't buy Chris as some kind of intergalactic womanizer. I didn't like how his helmet somehow protected his whole body in space, but they didn't show any kind of forcefield coming out of it, and when he was exposed to space he would have been completely messed up. And why didn't the collect all the Groot twigs at the end and grow an army of Groots? I also found it weird that the whole universe speaks English, and humans are somehow on other planets, but that's comics for you.

Goes to see scifi movie, complains some of it isn't realistic

Associate
Looking forward to watching this again with all the family on Saturday. I have resisted sticking the bluray in since it arrived on Monday. Feels like ages ago I saw it at the cinema with my daughter.

Man of Honour

When they've been caught and it's running through who they are and so on, it says that Quill has an translator implant in his neck. Solves one of the issues. ;)

Soldato
love most marvel films, watching this last night and hated it. Too many characters / locations introduced rapidly and I just ended up a bit ....meh

Visually stunning though

Back
Top Bottom