GUIDE: Adblocker for IE8 (from adblock plus) (list updated regularly)

Now RTM version of IE 9 has been released! How to make this work with that?

I have added all the available TPL but still I am unable to block ads on Gmail, Facebook, Google Search etc. Please help!

I would like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to SiriusB for saving me from having to copy 10000+ entries each time I updated the filter :)

This filter has been tested and is fully compatible with IE9 beta

Please remember to delete the old filter before importing the new one

Latest filter - updated 2011-01-09: http://cid-83edeb637d37824c.office....Adblock filters for IE8/filter 2011-01-09.zip

To enable inprivate filtering by default in IE9, please extract and run this: http://cid-83edeb637d37824c.office....for IE8/InPrivate Filtering Always on IE9.zip

Man. Don't overdo the TPLs. They can work against you in the long-run, speed-wise and by blocking too much/"false matches"... and you shouldn't be using the old InPrivate Filters because.. well.. how about you just go back a few posts and read. It's pretty much been explained several times.

MakeFilters v1.2 for IE8

Done! :D

This is for anyone stuck on Windows XP/IE8 or just hasn't upgraded to IE9.

It downloads the Fanboy Adblock TPL for IE9 and converts it into an IE8 InPrivate Filtering List, ready-to-be-imported in a .reg file.

I've also added the ability to enter your own blocks and allows in 2 .ini files (user-blocks.ini, user-allows.ini).

Should work perfectly fine - not much changed except for parsing the new input file - only issue I've noticed is that Fanboy's servers are sometimes flakey/overloaded so the script downloading the TPL might timeout occasionally. This new version has a more robust file downloader (with progress indicator), and will automatically time out and retry every 120 seconds if the file download doesn't complete within that time. I've also updated the automation instructions in there for those wanting to do autoupdates once a week. :)

This should be it for updates. The offer still stands if there's anyone particularly savvy with PowerShell out there who wants to fix my code/do a better job, please feel free; it works great but may not be the most elegant all the time.

Note: Looks like I spoke too soon! New version out.
Follow the download link below to the post.

Download MakeFilters

Cheers!

Last edited:
Another solution for hiding elements in IE9 is to use fanboy's opera css. I found it to be the fastest hiding solution so far. I modified it slightly to remove some extra items, namely things at cnet and softpedia, since I frequent those sites. Here is a link to my version, although all credit belongs to fanboy.

http://cid-0d21e50b424e7db3.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/fanboy-IE9-Mod.css

To use it, save it to your computer somewhere, and when you open IE9, go to tools, internet options, and click on the accessability push button on the bottom right of the general tab, check the box for "format documents using my style sheet", and browse to the css file. Restart IE, and you're done!

Cheers!

thanks, works great

Another solution for hiding elements in IE9 is to use fanboy's opera css. I found it to be the fastest hiding solution so far. I modified it slightly to remove some extra items, namely things at cnet and softpedia, since I frequent those sites. Here is a link to my version, although all credit belongs to fanboy.

http://cid-0d21e50b424e7db3.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/fanboy-IE9-Mod.css

To use it, save it to your computer somewhere, and when you open IE9, go to tools, internet options, and click on the accessability push button on the bottom right of the general tab, check the box for "format documents using my style sheet", and browse to the css file. Restart IE, and you're done!

Cheers!

It works great.. I am loving IE 9 now.. thx a ton!

New css

All credit still belongs to fanboy. This new one had to be modified as well..... IE will not read more than 4095 entries. It took me forever to figure out what was breaking it!!!! Hahaha! For the time I spent troubleshooting it, I should have invested a few bucks into AdMuncher!! LOL! I've added some youtube annoyances as well to this latest one.

https://cid-0d21e50b424e7db3.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/ie1.css

Last edited:
MakeFilters 1.2.1

Fanboy added a checksum to his TPL files so I've updated MakeFilters accordingly to parse it out. In other good news, seems like Fanboy updated his servers, I'm not seeing any timeouts anymore.

Blurb:
MakeFilters Powershell script automatically downloads the latest Fanboy Adblock List (without element hiding) TPL for IE9, converts it into hexadecimal IE8 InPrivate Filter registry entry format, then writes it as a .reg file to easily import the new filters. Instructions to create an autoupdate task are also included.

Download MakeFilters v1.2.1

Fanboy works great in IE9, but I am on XP and IE8. I tried quero xml and it works, but unfortunately does have a few issues with ebay etc.

Anyway tried the Make Filters and it downloaded the 18/11 Fanboy recreated the reg file, I made sure there was nothing in the IE8 and uploaded it into registery and it works, but i presume there is an issue as there is none ads button missing.

Anyway went into the IE8 Control Panel, and it automatically exits, when trying to look at InPrivate list. So i used regedit to get rid of WebFilters, and back to normal.

Is anyone else having this issue with Make Filters and Fanboy??

Is Temi_D no longer updating the ones he use to make on SkyDrive?

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what the issue is... Possibly something else that needs to be parsed out, but as I don't have an XP machine/IE8 anymore there's no way for me to test the finished product to make sure it works so not much point in me trying. Feel free to tinker with it though! As I always said, I consider it more of a proof of concept and hoped someone would do a better job eventually. Good luck!

Not sure what the issue is... Possibly something else that needs to be parsed out, but as I don't have an XP machine/IE8 anymore there's no way for me to test the finished product to make sure it works so not much point in me trying. Feel free to tinker with it though! As I always said, I consider it more of a proof of concept and hoped someone would do a better job eventually. Good luck!

Okay thanks, i think i will stick to quero xlm http://www.quero.at/adblock_ie_xml.php, it works 99% of the time. and just has a few issue with ebay.

I wish Microsoft had released IE9 for XP too, but hey i will probably jump to Windows 8 when that comes out.

Thanks for you help.

IE will only read the first 4095 lines, so my filter simply has some non-english site specific filters removed (I am in US). Also , I have added some extra items for sites that I visit often. Some YouTube annoyances and softpedia ads, etc. My list stays at approx. 4095 lines.... give or take a few. You can compare my list with Fanboy's list using a program like WinMerge. I use that program to choose items I want to add or remove from my list. As fanboy removes old filters, so will I. I wish I could just use his list, but it is way over 4095 lines. Chrome and Opera can use a large list no problem, just not IE. WinMerge comes in portable edition also at portableapps.com. I also corrected a couple of spelling errors from fanboy's list. Hope this helps.

osm0sis,I desire to try the tool you provide for us.
Thouth I just know how to install and uninstall a software in windows,I like the new things.

However I'm blocked by some government organization to download it.MediaFire.Com isn't been able to browse in China(mainland) because of the GreatWall in internet.
Could you provide me a SkyDrive link for MakeFilter's latest version?
And my Email is [email protected]

Fanboy'list hasn't included Chinese ads since last year,so I turn to the Easylist.Might you create a program can make the Easylist working with IE8?

Thank you very much and best wishes!!

Back
Top Bottom