Guide for HTPC

Soldato
Right, got most of the software side setup, but struggling with the Ati HDMI audio now!

Trying to set up a HD3470 with DVI to HDMI output, although it's currently connected to VGA if that makes any difference?

I've tried various drivers, both Realtek and Ati, and my device manager shows 'Ati HDMI Audio' under Sound, video and game controllers, along with 'Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD' under system devices.

The problems start when I go into my Sounds and audio devices tab, where it simply states 'No audio device'!

MediaPortal won't play any DVD's as it crashes with an AC3 error, I assume this is down to the lack of detected sound hardware?

Any help much appreciated, preferably before I do a gravity test on it! :mad:

Soldato
eliminates tearing completely, about the only renderer that does and EVR is only done in hardware under Vista.

Thanks for the info. Back with XP for now, see how that goes, might just wait until Windows 7 if I come across any tearing issues.

PS, bump for my Ati HDMI audio woes! :(

Man of Honour
Why can't I get it to display any info or cover art. I have done the database in mediaportal config. It's straight dvd copies so vob/ifo files

Soldato
the reason a lot stuck with MP was XBMC's poor pulldown of mpeg and also it's handling of h264/avc wasn't really upto snuff - if that's fixed i'd take another look but MP is faultless for me in terms of playback right now.

handling and performance of various file types takes a massive precedence over eye candy for me personally, and MP is hardly ugly.

As far as file handling goes I haven't had any problems at all. Like I said, you don't need to install any codecs, XBMC uses the built in FFmpeg, which has played anything I've thrown at it so far (including 1080p h264 files).

I agree that MP isn't ugly, it's just XBMC is that little bit more slick and polished.

There's always a LiveCD if you want to give XBMC a go without making any changes to your current config - I can't say how good/bad this is though as I've never tried it.

:)

Soldato
Broona

Have you tried latest Realtek Drivers?

Tried everything, think I'm getting somewhere now at last though!

Uninstalled everything, reinstalled Ati Catalyst 8.2 instead of 9.1 as I read somewhere that it was the last Catalyst driver to support HDMI audio, and I can now select 'ati hd audio rear output' in my sound and audio device manager, is this as it should be? :confused:

In my device manager, I now have an Ati Function Manager for High Definition Audio, ATI A401, whereas before it was an Ati HDMI Audio Device.

Soldato
OP
Tried everything, think I'm getting somewhere now at last though!

Uninstalled everything, reinstalled Ati Catalyst 8.2 instead of 9.1 as I read somewhere that it was the last Catalyst driver to support HDMI audio, and I can now select 'ati hd audio rear output' in my sound and audio device manager, is this as it should be? :confused:

In my device manager, I now have an Ati Function Manager for High Definition Audio, ATI A401, whereas before it was an Ati HDMI Audio Device.

yes i think thats how it should be.
I've heard of people having problems getting HDMI audio out via DVI > HDMI. Im sorry i cant be much help as i have a dedicated HDMI port on my mobo so getting audio out is a little different for me.

As a pointer, im using ATI 8.2 with Realtek R2.10 with ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.13

Soldato
As far as file handling goes I haven't had any problems at all. Like I said, you don't need to install any codecs, XBMC uses the built in FFmpeg, which has played anything I've thrown at it so far (including 1080p h264 files).

I agree that MP isn't ugly, it's just XBMC is that little bit more slick and polished.

There's always a LiveCD if you want to give XBMC a go without making any changes to your current config - I can't say how good/bad this is though as I've never tried it.

:)

might give it a whirl later tonight and see how it goes, must admit some of the screenies i saw a few mths back looked very nice indeed.

sometimes we just stick with what we know :p

Soldato
had a quick play around in XBMC on my main pc just earlier and it's certainly a slick interface and a nice all round media player, definitely got the edge on MP for looks.

trouble is that it seems XBMC just isn't flexible enough - not nearly enough control for the music player for one....no equalizer, can't set bitrates for output etc ...as i use ASIO with my XonarDX into my DAC i need to output 24bit from the player so i won't even get any sound through XBMC.

it feels like the music player gets no love from the devs, it's too basic for anybody whose half serious about their music playback.

similarly it's lack of support for external video codecs/apps natively hurts it for ppl that are serious about getting the best out of their gear.

good allrounder is XBMC but i think it definitely suffers from its OS portability, it's pretty close to being an outstanding program but not quite there yet for me....shame.

Associate
Guys I need help !! Here is my situation :

I've bought a new TV : 42PX80, it did not arrive yet but I'm waiting for it eagerly :D
I don't have a HTPC per se, I'm going to use my gaming PC to hook it on my Tv and play movies etc.. But my PC will also be plugged to my LCD computer screen. Is it possible to use mediaportal with two screens?

I was planning to plug it thru the VGA cable, is there any better way or is this optimal, my mobo does not have anything else but DVI? I noticed my GFX (8800 GTS) does have an HDTV-OUT could that be better? Also concerning the sound, at the moment I have a 5.1 connected to my computer on my integrated mobo, I was wondering if I could use the SPD/IF out on my mobo to connect another sound system to act as the sound system for the TV.

I need some on which player I should use, at the moment I'm using VLC but noticed nobody uses it in this thread so I'm considering using the Media Player classic Home Cinema edition but I don't know which codec I'd need? Could anyone help me on this point please?

Also I'm planning to buy a Media Center Remote control, could you guys confirm this will work with media portal?

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys I need help !! Here is my situation :

I've bought a new TV : 42PX80, it did not arrive yet but I'm waiting for it eagerly :D
I don't have a HTPC per se, I'm going to use my gaming PC to hook it on my Tv and play movies etc.. But my PC will also be plugged to my LCD computer screen. Is it possible to use mediaportal with two screens?

yes, in the options there a button to select which screen u want it to boot from

I was planning to plug it thru the VGA cable, is there any better way or is this optimal, my mobo does not have anything else but DVI? I noticed my GFX (8800 GTS) does have an HDTV-OUT could that be better?

VGA is ok, obviously its not HDCP so blu-ray would be problematic, but can be sorted with ANYDVD HD.

Personnaly I would go DVI > HDMI lead

Also concerning the sound, at the moment I have a 5.1 connected to my computer on my integrated mobo, I was wondering if I could use the SPD/IF out on my mobo to connect another sound system to act as the sound system for the TV.

I use a SPDIF cable to my A/V reciever for DD & DTS 5.1

I need some on which player I should use, at the moment I'm using VLC but noticed nobody uses it in this thread so I'm considering using the Media Player classic Home Cinema edition but I don't know which codec I'd need? Could anyone help me on this point please?

ffdshow tryouts. see photoshops original post for a setup guide

Also I'm planning to buy a Media Center Remote control, could you guys confirm this will work with media portal?

MCE remote works perfectly.

Man of Honour
Can anyone help me. I still can't get cover art or any info to display. Doesn't matter which skin I use. It just shows folders. Any idea, I've done the database in MP setup and it's all populated and with cover art. Very confused.
31d2e58929.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone help me. I still can't get cover art or any info to display. Doesn't matter which skin I use. It just shows folders. Any idea, I've done the database in MP setup and it's all populated and with cover art. Very confused.
31d2e58929.jpg

I would use moving pictures plugins, its a lot better. If your dead set on the default plugin, I can't help as I used moving pictures from the get go.

Man of Honour
I would use moving pictures plugins, its a lot better. If your dead set on the default plugin, I can't help as I used moving pictures from the get go.

Got a link to it?
Also does it support tv series? Or do I need that tv links plugin thing?

Soldato
One more thing ;)

Does this works for all files type or do I need an alternative for H.264? (CoreAVC?)

I believe it does.

I install ffdshow tryouts, PowerDVD (HD codecs) and makovoski (spelling).

Got a link to it?
Also does it support tv series? Or do I need that tv links plugin thing?

http://code.google.com/p/moving-pictures/

No it doesnt support tv series, you will need the TV series plugin, that one is found on mediaportal site. They look similar in appearance but are seperate plugins.

Read photoshops opening posts, they explain everything really well :)

Back
Top Bottom