Guide to helping you choose your components

Permabanned
OP
Thanks again guys, I am aware of that and will look at a greater level of formatting as I go along, to be honest its still a bit in first draft format, I intended to write it and re-read it and work on it in word before posting but I couldnt resist sticking the first version in a thread, lol. I expect for first few weeks I'll be adding bits and pieces as I realise I've missed them off and once I'm somewhere near happy with content then as you suggest I'll look into the final preferred format so it looks nice too. I'm still open to any suggestions on improvements though, in case theres anything Ive missed and dont spot myself
Appreciate the support from you all

Soldato
Thanks again guys, I am aware of that and will look at a greater level of formatting as I go along, to be honest its still a bit in first draft format, I intended to write it and re-read it and work on it in word before posting but I couldnt resist sticking the first version in a thread, lol. I expect for first few weeks I'll be adding bits and pieces as I realise I've missed them off and once I'm somewhere near happy with content then as you suggest I'll look into the final preferred format so it looks nice too. I'm still open to any suggestions on improvements though, in case theres anything Ive missed and dont spot myself
Appreciate the support from you all

Sounds excellent mate =) Look forward to seeing it get updated etc. Always interesting to read these things even if you aren't looking for new parts etc =)

Soldato
Yes, it's a bump but it's a worthy one!

Quite a few sticky requests and a healthy star rating...

Plus, i get the opportunity to rib Thriffles about his new sig as his new compulsion for component facts is till marring his usual ‘artistic’ attention to detail with regard to surplus flesh! ;)

Permabanned
OP
Cheers Plec, thought it'd be a bit cheeky to bump my own thread, shame the updates dont do it though :rolleyes:

Im still getting together some more material and I'll update the builds next week I reckon

Changed sig back for you, last one had a mistake anyway (small e at end of TRUe) ;)

Soldato
Some minor input to disguise a bump...

Have you considered reversing the content of your posts?

What I mean is; placing the build examples at the top of the thread and the comprehensive guide at post # 3?

Personally, I like the info at the top as it makes sense giving details of the products and then leading into the example builds. Unfortunately, the reality may be that most of the members will just want access to the build guides at first and may not notice them due to the text.

Basically, give them the eye candy first and then feed them the nutritional stuff after to help make their choices more informed.

Talking of eye candy – your sig is looking suitably supple :).

Permabanned
OP
Cheers again Plec, good suggestion, most, especially those revisiting the page would probably prefer the builds first so Ive ammended that now, and updated the builds too. Got some more (refined) material for the guide which I'll update later this week (shift work)

Associate
Yeah! great thread I was looking for this kind of advice myself. I wish I spotted it before posting my thread concerning upgrading on a budget from amd xp cpu. All these dual, tri and quad cpu's with mobos relative to ddr2 and ddr3 were putting me off of thinking about upgrading tbh.

I think I'll finalize my decision over the weekend for a ~£250 build.

You only have an amd option for the £400 build for the reasons you suggest concerning the shortfalls of basing a new build around the Pentium 775 system and since I'll only need a gfx, mobo, ram and cpu combination then your spec falls nicely within my ~£250 limit. :cool:

Damn!... It looks like your thread was so successful that most of the components are now 'out of stock'. Hope they get more stuff in for the week end or maybe you'll need to update your post. ;)

Soldato
Cheers again Plec, good suggestion, most, especially those revisiting the page would probably prefer the builds first so Ive ammended that now, and updated the builds too. Got some more (refined) material for the guide which I'll update later this week (shift work)

Np - it may be that the mods need to witness the thread being kept upto date regularly before they'll commit it to a sticky?..

Permabanned
OP
No probs, obv be good if they did but if not I (and anyone else who feels it appropriate) can just direct new posters to the thread via link, least its all written in one place to save repitition.
I did realise doing first update to builds that maybe every fortnight would be better than once a month so Ill try and keep to that as best I can, when works not interfering (just got in now, time for bed me thinks :o )

jbs

jbs

Associate
I am due for a new system but have to hold out for another while due to finances. This thread however is excellent and I keep coming back reading up preparing for my first full build. Can't wait till I can get my hands dirty!

If you keep updating it like you have since starting I'm sure it will be considered for a sticky.

Permabanned
OP
Ive ammended that now, I think at the time it was one of the few in stock, still not many, but I dont like to include things not in stock (barring the gfx cards I know, but I think theres regular stock of these coming in)
I am going to update the HTPC stuff shortly as well as continual small changes to the general advice section

Associate
Thank you 95thrifles for this thread. + 1 to make this a sticky...
I can't find this thread when I want to refer back to it. I only find it when others link to it in different threads.

Back
Top Bottom