Guide to helping you choose your components

Associate
I'm not sure whether this thread would be valid enough to warrant it. But I am just thinking (dangerous stuff I know!!) seeing as there is a rise in popularity in people building Home Servers, would this thread be warrant enough to have a spec to use as a home server?

Soldato
I'm not sure whether this thread would be valid enough to warrant it. But I am just thinking (dangerous stuff I know!!) seeing as there is a rise in popularity in people building Home Servers, would this thread be warrant enough to have a spec to use as a home server?

Would be a good idea actually. I would love to build a home server, but I wouldn't know where to start with components and what kind of power I would need for it.

Would certainly be interesting.

Permabanned
OP

I've thought about it (and looked into it since you suggested), but I think you could end up writing a whole new thread on the subject, theres so many different types/uses of server/nas, I think its probably best to leave that area to the dedicated sub forum for it. Thanks for suggestion though

Associate
I understand that servers can be by their nature different for everyone, but perhaps have a thread in the server sub forum with decent starting point. It's just that I have noticed a lot of 'spec me a home server' type threads appearing in that sub forum, and seeing the link in your sig to the system components thread I thought that you would probably be the best person for the job.

I know that the storage options would be different for most people, so you could just suggest the best hard disks for the job. A list of cases suitable for such a pc. Recommended bang for buck motherboard with enough sata connections for hard disks etc.

A basic server spec could be a dual core, with 2gb and 2tb of storage, with a seperate hard disk for the OS.

A more advanced server for a do it all sort of job could be a quad core (for encoding and streaming tv stuff.) 4gb ram.

It would just be helpful to have a basic list of reliable components for set price points similar to that of the desktops. Storage can be increased over time as the needs rise.

Thanks.

Soldato
It would be great if someone-in-the-know could give some guidance to Thriffles as to what needs to be done/maintained/guaranteed for this thread to gain a pin.

I realise these type of threads need to be regularly updated for them to keep their relevance but Thriffles seems to be committed/loopy enough (take your pick ;)) to ensure this. And there is no denying the usefulness of this type of thread for the uninitiated, curious, casual upgrader or even the seasoned tech-head who just wants a ball-park figure for his next build. (It's been a successful tried and tested thread in the past - and when Jokester(?) still had the time to maintain his efforts it was always a popular/useful reference for members while it existed.)

The threads continued popularity coupled with its carefully crafted and, thus far, updated content would appear to tick all the boxes for a sticky(?).

I can lend you some thermal adhesive…

Associate
Great guide.
I have been going around in circles for the last few months trying to make my mind up which of the zillion components to pick.
Still haven't decided but had some food for thought.
Thanks.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah I know, lol, thought about it but seen as how theres been no mod input (even after your last post suggestion) I didnt want to push it in case thread gets locked :eek:

Soldato
Nice one Thundycat - 95thrifles will appreciate it as will members that require the info.

The only downside for Thrifles is that he now has to keep the content updated from now until the end of his days... ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you Mr 95Thrifles for sharing all your knowledge - wish I'd found this thread a couple of months ago - I hope to get my order in next week for a complete new system and will undoubtedly base it on one of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Soldato
If you wanted a mATX gaming build you could swap the case in this build for something like an Antec mini P180 and have a nice quiet poweful mATX gaming tower

gamingHTPC.png

95thrifles the corsair H50 will not fit into the Antec fusion due to size restraints. The Scythe Mini Ninja is the preffered heatsink of choice in that particular case, it's as if it was made for it. Unfortunately the Scythe does not yet come with the 1156 brackets as far as I'm aware. Might be better off just suggesting the retail cpu?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thansk for that coupe, I assumed with the fusion taking 120mm fans it did (didnt realise the rad would catch on the mobo), have checked it out and ammended the build with stipulation (found a few examples of it being mounted externally)
Note to self to thorughly check these things first next time, cheers

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The £1500 Intel build needs a 750W PSU for that GPU!!

taken from AMD/ATI's website

ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 System Requirements
PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

Associate
Wondering if anyone could recommend......

Hi there I need help with a good recommendation for a new mid-level gaming set up.
The over-clocked bundles are nice but I need a Mobo with onboard graphics and none of them have.
Please read below.
the bold parts are the main info, the bits in brackets are little sidenotes

I have exactly £250 to spend from birthday money, I need a new Mobo RAM and Processor
(mobo broke and cause Ram and processor were outdated replacing all 3 at same time)
(the £250 is including P+P and VAT)

so would like a good mobo ,with onboard graphics
(I will disable and replace onboard graphics with a Nvidia GTX 275 or 285 at Christmas depending on how much money I get from EMA bonus and Christmas letters).

A Processor with at least 2 cores and at least 2.6 ghz speed

A pair of RAM higher than 2gb.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Your basket
Product Name Qty Price Line Total
AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 Black Edition 2.80GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail £97.99
(£85.21)
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel (OCZ3P13334GK) £70.99 (£61.73)
Asus M4A785TD-M Evo AMD 785G (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard £67.99 (£59.12)
Sub Total : £206.06
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
DPD Next Day Parcel
(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £9.00
VAT is being charged at 15% VAT : £32.26
Total : £247.32

Back
Top Bottom