Guide to helping you choose your components

Associate
Thanks To 95thrifles - A PSU/Case Dilemma

Many thanks to 95thrifles for de-mysifying the hardware issues. :)

Although I worked as a "technician" back in the day, I was trained as a programmer rather than a hardware engineer. There's also been rapid development in hardware technologies (especially in GPUs and Cooling Systems) that I will admit, have passed me by.

Okay... I think this is the right place to post hardware questions, apologies if incorrect - I did look round the forums as best I could.

Question 1.

After looking at a few build tutorials (and 95thrifle's guide) I'm wondering if the old "emachines" tower case I've got will be able to house a 500w PSU?
(I dont know if I can post a pic of the case here? It says 130DVD Emachines on case front if that helps - Advice welcomed).

These new power supplies look huge - compared to stock ones....

Here's the specs for my new game build so far ...

1. Intel i3 (Sandybridge) processor 1155
2. Gigabyte Z68AP motherboard
3. Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (1x8GB) 1600MHz PC3-12800C10 RAM
4. Seagate Barracuda 7200 hard drive
5. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU cooler (4 pipes)
6. Any (second-hand) PCI-E 512MB graphics card

PS: The PC games I wish to play are "Alice Madness Returns" and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1. Curiously, the "Alice" Game mentions that:
"Nvidia Geforce 8400,9400, 210 are not supported" - There's so many graphics cards out there, I'm not sure what I should install... ?

Kind Regards, OldSchoolTech

Associate
Hi

I'm after some advice regarding my next purchase. I need a machine for high end gameing and rendering as lots of Autocad work will be performed. On occasions this will be done in tandem so I would need a spec that would cope with these demands.

I was reading about the I7 Devils Canyon and would like to know if this is the best processor or are there better ones? Also, should I purchase one now how future proof will it be for the next 4/5 years?

What recommendations can you make for CPU/Memory/Graphics/Board/PSU/no of graphics cards etc?

Thanks

Darth Sidius

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

I'm after some advice regarding my next purchase. I need a machine for high end gameing and rendering as lots of Autocad work will be performed. On occasions this will be done in tandem so I would need a spec that would cope with these demands.

I was reading about the I7 Devils Canyon and would like to know if this is the best processor or are there better ones? Also, should I purchase one now how future proof will it be for the next 4/5 years?

What recommendations can you make for CPU/Memory/Graphics/Board/PSU/no of graphics cards etc?

Thanks

Darth Sidius

Hi Darth,

I suggest you make a thread in this GH forum.

If you outline youre requirements (like above) and budget (and any other things you are thinking about) we can help you out much better.

It'll be better that way as more people will see it and be able to help you personally. :)

Back
Top Bottom