** GUIDE TO VR: WHAT SPECIFICATION OF PC/VGA DO I NEED? **

Soldato
Cheapest 2070 Super on OCUK is £435 with a lot others under £500 when you put it like that the difference is not great for what basically is a 2080 stock level of performance.
5700xt v 2070 is about same, 5700xt v 2070 Super latter has over 10% performance increase (@1440p) or thereabouts.

Soldato
The "go to" cards at the minute seem to be 5700XT or a 2070 super. However, the price difference between the units are huge (£350 vs £500). Is the 2070 Super worth the extra when it comes to VR?

As Varkanoid pointed out the price difference is less than a £100 at the moment. The 5700XT and 2070 Super give roughly the same level of VR performance, the 2070 Super might be slightly faster but you won't notice it in VR. The one advantage that the 2070Super has is the newly released VRSS (Variable Rate Super Sampling) It increases performance in VR games that support it. And it works too. At the moment there are only 24 games but more will be added. Boneworks and Lone Echo are two of the supported games.

To sum up the 2070 Super and 5700XT give the same experience in VR except in games that support VRSS where the 2070 Super is faster.

Soldato
Cheapest 2070 Super on OCUK is £435 with a lot others under £500.
I've historically always used MSI as they've had a good reputation. However, the last time I bought a GPU was 2012... is there still a big difference in build quality or are there other brands I should be looking at too at the lower end of the price point? E.g. KFA2

Soldato
Vey much a noob / penny pincher question...

I've just bought the Quest 2 kit & would like to dip my toe in PCVR gaming, currently my ageing rig is a i5-3570@ 4Ghz, 16Gb ram & AMD R9 200 series GFX card.

What is my cheapest option to get a taster ???

I'm not bothered about full detail/resolution etc as 99% of the time the PC is used for photoshop anyway :D

Caporegime

I've just bought the Quest 2 kit & would like to dip my toe in PCVR gaming, currently my ageing rig is a i5-3570@ 4Ghz, 16Gb ram & AMD R9 200 series GFX card.

I'm not bothered about full detail/resolution etc as 99% of the time the PC is used for photoshop anyway :D
Realistically a whole new PC. The Quest 2 is quite demanding in its specifications. There are games and other things that run exclusively within the Quest as well though, no PC required.

Soldato

Your cheapest option to get a taster would be to buy a Quest 2 version of a PC game. I don't know what games you like but maybe something like Space Pirate Trainer or Eleven Table Tennis.

With your PC specs you would need a complete upgrade to play VR.

Soldato
Your cheapest option to get a taster would be to buy a Quest 2 version of a PC game. I don't know what games you like but maybe something like Space Pirate Trainer or Eleven Table Tennis.

With your PC specs you would need a complete upgrade to play VR.

Realistically a whole new PC. The Quest 2 is quite demanding in its specifications. There are games and other things that run exclusively within the Quest as well though, no PC required.

Looks like the PC will be staying as it is then :D

Associate
Which CPU/GPU combo do i need to play sim racing games like asseto corsa and iracing on high settings? Currently have an i7-4790 and a RX5700 non xt and have to play pretty much with everything on low at the moment. I have a rift s but also considering upgrading to the G2

Soldato
Which CPU/GPU combo do i need to play sim racing games like asseto corsa and iracing on high settings? Currently have an i7-4790 and a RX5700 non xt and have to play pretty much with everything on low at the moment. I have a rift s but also considering upgrading to the G2

Are you sure you can't run the game better on the setup you have? If it's the Steam version of the game, check the steam supersampling settings. It sometimes sets these at crazy high values that really slows down your PC.

Have you any budget in mind before I scare you with the requirements to get the most out of the G2 if you intend to go down that route.

Associate
Are you sure you can't run the game better on the setup you have? If it's the Steam version of the game, check the steam supersampling settings. It sometimes sets these at crazy high values that really slows down your PC.

Have you any budget in mind before I scare you with the requirements to get the most out of the G2 if you intend to go down that route.

A couple of months ago i did spend a few day's tweaking all the settings trying to get the most out it with my current set up, the biggest problem is playing multiplayer, i can get it all looking pretty if i race on my own but when is start adding a few car's fps drops and that asw thing kicks in. Also my favorite track nordschleife just so happens to be one of the more demanding tracks and i even have asw kick in at parts with everything on low.

Budget wise, i'm not really sure, i don't really have a limit tbh, i would just be interested to hear what a good value system to get the best out of a G2 is likley to cost right now. If its a system that is not going to need to be up upgraded for a long time the more I'm willing to spend. Its about time i actually went all in and just built my dream pc and i know it won't be cheap.

Soldato
A couple of months ago i did spend a few day's tweaking all the settings trying to get the most out it with my current set up, the biggest problem is playing multiplayer, i can get it all looking pretty if i race on my own but when is start adding a few car's fps drops and that asw thing kicks in. Also my favorite track nordschleife just so happens to be one of the more demanding tracks and i even have asw kick in at parts with everything on low.

Budget wise, i'm not really sure, i don't really have a limit tbh, i would just be interested to hear what a good value system to get the best out of a G2 is likley to cost right now. If its a system that is not going to need to be up upgraded for a long time the more I'm willing to spend. Its about time i actually went all in and just built my dream pc and i know it won't be cheap.

Your CPU is probably holding you back in situations where are the more cars on the track. The 5700 isn't bad, it's definitely not worth keeping long term though. In the current climate, there is no real good value systems to get the most out of the G2. I think you will be waiting until February before there is any significant stock available of anything. So, I wouldn't buy now if I could possibly hold off a couple of months. Waiting as another advantage, the 3080Ti will be out by then and it will be another option to consider.

however, you might not want to wait. If so, join some of the discords that are keeping an eye on stock levels and you might get lucky. My recommendations are as follows

CPU: AMD 5800x.
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080.

If you get a 5600X and an RTX 3070, you will still have a great experience on the G2. But, if you aren't likely to upgrade for a few years, I would get the best I could within my budget.

You will need to upgrade your motherboard, ram, psu etc. Suggest you get a minimum of 32GB of Ram.

And, yeah, you are right, it ain't going to be cheap!! No matter which option you go for it's still going to be above £1500. If you can get one of the Nvidia Founder edition cards, that will save you a bit of money.

Associate
Your CPU is probably holding you back in situations where are the more cars on the track. The 5700 isn't bad, it's definitely not worth keeping long term though. In the current climate, there is no real good value systems to get the most out of the G2. I think you will be waiting until February before there is any significant stock available of anything. So, I wouldn't buy now if I could possibly hold off a couple of months. Waiting as another advantage, the 3080Ti will be out by then and it will be another option to consider.

however, you might not want to wait. If so, join some of the discords that are keeping an eye on stock levels and you might get lucky. My recommendations are as follows

CPU: AMD 5800x.
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080.

If you get a 5600X and an RTX 3070, you will still have a great experience on the G2. But, if you aren't likely to upgrade for a few years, I would get the best I could within my budget.

You will need to upgrade your motherboard, ram, psu etc. Suggest you get a minimum of 32GB of Ram.

And, yeah, you are right, it ain't going to be cheap!! No matter which option you go for it's still going to be above £1500. If you can get one of the Nvidia Founder edition cards, that will save you a bit of money.

I can definitely hold off for a couple of months, I think i will upgrade the GPU last just to see how much of a difference my current CPU is holding me back. I think i just want to go all in this time and not upgrade again for a few years, I would definitely go for the 3080 over the 3070 right now after googling and comparing the two, its a big difference in performance, i however am really intrigued to see how much better the 3080ti is and how much that will cost, ( i wasn't even aware that was coming out until you mentioned it) The only thing i would consider upgrading at some point would be the GPU, I don't want to have to touch anything else for at least 2-3 years.

Associate
Hi, I know nothing about VR and am looking for two bits of advice - Is my spec below OK and what VR device should I be going for?

1 x 24GB ASUS NVIDIA GeForce Ampere RTX 3090 (1 x HDMI | 3 x DP) - RTX Enabled!
1 x ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING DDR4 ATX MOTHERBOARD - AURA SYNC RGB READY! [WiFi Included]
1 x 1000W - ASUS ROG Strix Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU
1 x AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU with Wraith Prism RGB Cooler [GPU Required]
1 x GameMax Iceberg RGB Watercooler - 240mm
1 x Corsair Black iCue 4000X RGB Mid Tower Windowed PC Case
1 x 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz - Black
1 x RGB Kit (3x12cm Fans + LED Strip)
1 x Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive 6GB/s
1 x 512GB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive [Up to 3500MB/s Read | Up to 2300MB/s Write]
1 x Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating System
1 x ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2167Mbps 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom