Guild Wars 2

Associate
Am I the only one that doesn't really mind long grinds for the most prestigious gear? I'm not sure I even have the time myself to do 50 runs of an instance for some good looking gear... but I'm glad a game keeps that 'epic' feeling. Keep the best gear for the minority, then it actually keeps its effect. It sucks in other MMO's when everyone has the best gear within 6 weeks of it being put in the game. The gear itself loses any special value.

Associate
Am I the only one that doesn't really mind long grinds for the most prestigious gear? I'm not sure I even have the time myself to do 50 runs of an instance for some good looking gear... but I'm glad a game keeps that 'epic' feeling. Keep the best gear for the minority, then it actually keeps its effect. It sucks in other MMO's when everyone has the best gear within 6 weeks of it being put in the game. The gear itself loses any special value.

I prefer this option. I liked that in WoW Vanilla it was pretty damn hard to get certain items. Star wars galaxies you had to find the people to craft and also the materials. Where as Swtor had everyone running around in the same armour after a month.

Associate
Yep, I stopped playing WoW after vanilla/TBC because of this very reason. So I'd prefer it if GW2 kept rare armour... well, rare. It's nice for everyone to feel empowered and awesome like they have the best character and like they are the best player in the world, but not-so-nice when everyone has the best gear. The game loses it's massive feel. It's nice to have an elite in a game - even if you're not a part of it. It's reassuring to even know that the game caters to that audience. It makes in-game achievements really seem like achievements. It's pretty hollow when everyone is running around in the best gear.

Soldato
Yep, I stopped playing WoW after vanilla/TBC because of this very reason. So I'd prefer it if GW2 kept rare armour... well, rare. It's nice for everyone to feel empowered and awesome like they have the best character and like they are the best player in the world, but not-so-nice when everyone has the best gear. The game loses it's massive feel. It's nice to have an elite in a game - even if you're not a part of it. It's reassuring to even know that the game caters to that audience. It makes in-game achievements really seem like achievements. It's pretty hollow when everyone is running around in the best gear.

Myeh, in terms of a game where these items can give you a benefit, no.
Luckily, in gw2 competitive play is equal, so there's no point me arguing about it :D

I think anything that forced repetition for gain is a problem, but others have mentioned it should be purely cosmetic, then I don't care. I guess if someone want's to spend 3 days straight of gameplay to get 1 item then let them. But that's borderline insanity.

I grew up in MMOs over the past decade plus, where you could get rare items, randomly with no effort, just luck, items where you had to camp 18 hour respawns or beat people to logging in when server crashed/restart after patch but played a class which couldn't deal enough damage in short spaces so others would always win it over me purely because of class (I did however get all the rares at some point). I actually had characters which were pretty unfair to play against people.

Today, I hate these systems because not everyone puts equal amount of effort in to it, although having to do x amount of dungeon crawls means everyone has to do the same. But I believe somewhere down the line games turned from being pick up and play for everyone to the opposite, where those who can devote time prosper and they believe those who can't shouldn't as much.

However in this game I don't think we have to worry at all :)

Then we could get into the debate of "It's not how you play but with whome you play", aka, most of us have been there? decent guild? hard content? those people who get carried? Yep.
Some of us work for it, others almost get it handed to them. Not always, not every instance, not every game mind you, but it happens.

Last edited:
Associate

I like that. If you work harder, you get rarer gear. There's no point making it rare then giving it to everyone.

The problem comes when people who play more get *better* gear. Then it becomes unfair. Want to PvP competitively? Good player? Can only play 2 days a week. Unlucky, the people who are worse than you can get better gear because they play all the time. That's not fair.

GW has a better system where the same person might not look as cool but their gear will have the same stats and that's all that matters to play competitively.

Associate
Yeah I've played a few MMO's where everyone is in the same gear end-game. Too easy to obtain and not really unique enough to be happy with earning. Just makes end-game get real boring real quick because there's not a lot more to aim for.

Associate
With GW2's great artists, the amount of different armours that I've seen so far, and transmutation stones, I don't think we'll ever see too many people wearing the same armour, whether cosmetic rewards become easier to earn or not.

Associate
It makes little to no sense to invest so much development into a dungeon to use it only once.

True, but 145 runs of the same dungeon is absolutely nuts as well.

This isn't story mode either, its explorable, its tuned to be much harder than normal mode. This also means there are 3 paths to complete the dungeon, so whilst some repetition wouldn't be bad - what is in place at the moment is hilarious.

Gating PVE rewards behind challenging content and ridiculous grinds are two different things.

Permabanned
Every dynamic event has a full chain of NPC scripts and you can follow the NPCs around and see them interacting with each other and asking players for help with multiple quest arcs along the full chain. They even act out every small detail, like when the girl says she chipped an axe or something, she actually was swinging an axe around inside the building and damaging it or the thing she hit prior to going up to her father and telling him.

I think that is a correct summary of what the video is showing.

Wheras in every other MMO I've played, NPCs just stand in one spot permanently.

It kind of reminds me of Bethesdas 'radiant AI', but done correctly and fully scripted.

Last edited:
Associate
I know who it is :D

borat.jpg

Associate
Really looking forward to this. Didn't get a chance to get very far with the beta event last weekend but from what I saw it looks like it could be a great game.

Still trying to get a refund from CJS. I (stupidly) used moneybookers to pay for it and they seem to be dragging their heels over refunding me. I got an email saying they'd send a refund (including all the guff about suing Anet for defamation, etc); still no refund is incoming, so I updated my ticket asking whether they've processed the refund or not, got a blank reply to that. Still waiting on a proper response.

There's an old saying along the lines of 'you buy cheap, you buy twice'. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom