Gym Rats Festive and New Years Meet - 12th January 2013

Man of Honour
OP
Plan for the day

Parking

I'm not going to recommend one single parking place this year as everyone will be coming in from different directions, but if you see here:

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/near/temple-gym/

Any of those will do, EXCEPT the parking marked 1, as that is closed, as we found out the hard way last year. But all of them provide post codes for you to use with sat navs

So park anywhere you can really, Wills found a good one last year in terms of prices so if he can let me know which one it is, I'll update the post. Some can be very expensive so double check the prices on that site before you turn up

Arriving

We are meeting at the gym at 11:30, I say 11:30 because I know people will arrive late, so meet at the gym at 11:30 to aim for a 12 start. Serious brahs, last year was a bit of a joke in terms of waiting on some people, so this year, if you're not here for 12, we'll start without you, and if that means you miss some of the team games starting, well tough I'm afraid :(

The Plan in Temple
On arriving, we'll all get changed into the most anabolic outfits we have, showing all those striations and our amazing vascularity. Then it's time to hit the gym. It's £5 for a single session, so please remember this. Anyone turns up and herp derps it and says they thought it was free, you'll be asked to wait outside so people don't think we're associated with you.

We'll then draw teams, I'm still debating the best system to deal with this, but teams will be drawn in a fair way. But teams are final. We will not mess them around, so no bitching :p

12pm - 2013kg Challenge
1pm - Chin 'til you Win!
1:30pm - Dip Challenge!
2pm - Team Totals - The Grand Finale

Obviously those times may well go out the window on the day, but if possible I'd like to try and stick as close as possible to them. As obviously we've got a lot to get through :) I've ditched the power lifting comp as I just think it's a bit pointless, people will be far too tired from the challenges to put the lifts in. And it will just be too long a day otherwise

After have finished with this, it's time to present the trophies for the winners, and for the losers to feel utterly ashamed. We'll have a bro down, and I'm bringing my camera for a few decent photos. I'll be taking photos throughout the day as well, all of which will go on here :)

Post Workout Feast

At approx 3:30pm we will hit Nandos at the Paradise Forum. Last year we went to The Mailbox, but this one is a bit closer and looks to be a little bigger which will be better for us as it's a bigger group than last year.

And from here we will feast and discuss the days events, discuss everything gym related and generally have some awesome banter.

I'll also present the trophies too the winners of the Gym Rat Awards that are present at the event

After that you can all bugger off home :D

Man of Honour
OP
Any more drop outs?

I need to know asap, as if you just don't turn up, it ruins the whole day. As I need to know incase I need to come up with a back up plan if we don't have the numbers for the original team games

Man of Honour
OP
Morba is on the list but I doubt he's coming, so the list is:

Steedie
MoNkeE
Fluttershy
LiE
Syla5
Delvis
icecold
Ultra_Extreme
DevilsAdvocate
MBennett
Gamefreak501

But I'm not sure on MBennet? so could be 10

Man of Honour
OP
Ok so we're down to 10. Will have to replan this now as we no longer have 4 teams. What I may do is rather than the grand finale, replace it with the powerlifting tourney

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
So the big day arrived,

And the 11:30am arrive time for everyone didn't happen! As expected :D But everyone was eventually there ready to be greeted by the infamous changing rooms of Temple Gym (fitted with a new massage table...as opposed to the blood covered one last year)

First up was the 2013kg Challenge, we arranged teams...eventually, after turning the affair into a matter even Albert Einstein wouldn't make sense of, but then that phaggot didn't even lift so who cares.

7sVY4.jpg

Aaron clearly struggling with this monumental task
TBAGx.jpg

Finally the teams were sorted, and everyone eventually agreed on lifts and weights they'd be attempting

The teams were:

Team 1:
Captain LiE (Matt) - Bench 120kg
Steedie (Toby) - Squat 120kg
MoNkeE (Wills) - Deads 120kg
Total - 2880kg

Team 2:
Captain Ultra_Extreme (Aaron) - Squat 160kg
Delvis (Craig) - Deads 125kg
Syla5 (Dave) - Bench 80kg
Total - 2920kg

Team 3:
Captain icecold (Scott) - Bench 120kg
Gamefreak01 (David) - Deadlifts 100kg
MBennet (Mike) - Squats 80kg
Skillmister (Chris) - Bench 80kg
Total - 3040kg

As you can see, if everyone managed their sets, icecolds team was on course for a clear victory. But did anyone gamble too high with their weight? We shall see later

Squats were a pretty uneventful affair, with everyone managing to complete their sets. Aaron making 160kg like it was nothing, myself getting through 120kg despite some last minute worries and Mike, having never done squats before with freeweights, blasting through 80kg with ease.

Next up were deads, and during the warmup sets for deads, a new form of deadlifting was discovered for the first time. Double underhand deadlifts, which I like to call, Deadcurls. Gamefreak was happy to be corrected though and later on in his working set blasted through 100kg, all the while checking into snap city. Next up was Delvis, who clearly had a secret tactic of blowing everyones ear drums out to ruin their balance for later lifts

OSepV.jpg

Gamefreak clearly not going to be giving Delvis his best regards after this set, and MoNkeE giving his best "da*** is this?!" face. But that said, Delvis did his 125kg with ease, showing just how much progress he's made this last year to blast through what was probably a PB a few months ago.
MoNkeE probably my favourite set (for audible reasons), making 120kg look like it was 12kg, having the energy to showboat into a 9th rep.

So after 2 lifts, all 3 teams were on course to meet their original totals, which meant Team 1 was due to finish in last, with the four man team led by icecold cruising for a comfortable win.

To break things up a bit we went for some chins, a simple show of endurance and strength. With the most reps in 60 seconds or to failure.

Wills showing us how it's done with a comfortable 10 reps.
2Flfx.jpg
cV7yC.jpg

Delvis setting a nice round 10 also
jiIWx.jpg

MBennet flew into the lead with a massive 19, which surely looked like a win
PyURW.jpg

Before LiE turned up, with those goddamn arms of his...motherofgod.jpg
ALRmi.jpg

Setting a benchmark of 23, could that be beaten? Find out in part 2

Man of Honour
OP
Turn of the Best Contributor of 2012, icecold...

PP7e3.jpg

Who also rocked out 23 reps...

EqgN8.jpg
LiE and MBennet looking on in frustration and awe as the 23 benchmark is reached again...

Finally the turn of Syla5 (no pics mate :(), who wow'd us all with another 23! And so, so close to getting that last rep to take the glory, but it just wasn't to be!

The final tally looked like this

LLP2d.png

Last event of the totals challenge was bench, but not before icecold decided to do some exhibition deadlifting for the crowd. With LiE also belting up for some pain...

06Est.jpg

icecold eventually went on to do 210kg for paused reps, which was quite frankly sickening. But he did expose his secret for us all, snorting a line of coke before each rep, sorry my friend, but I got proof...

vn8xC.jpg

But it resulted in this so, who cares? ;)

BdPj3.jpg

LiE and Syla5 also blasting out some reps

RjADH.jpg
So explosive the camera couldn't cope

Q0bzN.jpg

So it was to be Bench that decided the outcome of the totals challenge, missing a rep here would cost a place, it was that close, but would everyone ease to their targets like everyone else before them, or would someone crumble under the pressure?

Everyone made sure they made the most of their one warm up sets, with some people jumping in just for the love of the iron

D6Whs.jpg

t2VdV.jpg
MmdlX.jpg

bTt49.jpg
Skillmister setting a new PB of 100kg, I'm surprised this is as sharp as it seeing how fast it came up

A21D4.jpg

First serious set was LiE, aiming for 120kg, he had to get it right, or Team 1 had no chance of getting off Third, but as easily as he did his warm up, 120kg was done. And Team 1 met its 2880kg target. Next was Syla5, who had to now complete his whole set, or they'd be demoted to last, the first 5 went up super fast, 6 was a struggle, and 7 came off his chest, up, up.....up, but he ran out of steam, having to use the spotter to complete the set. Shock all round as this meant Team 1 were now up to second and Team 3 were sat in rock bottom third.

Now the pressure was all on icecold. For his team to finish 1st, he had to manage 7 of his 8 reps. 6 wouldn't be enough, 7 would just take the top spot.

He unracks the bar...
oUB02.jpg

Find out in part 3 if he managed it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
icecold would surely not fail, you'd have bet your house on him doing this.

The first 5, like Syla5s went up with ease and speed, this was surely a winning set. But hold on, 6 was a slight pause, signs of a struggle are showing.

The seventh and final rep......

You could hear a pin drop...

But the spotter takes it, it's a failed rep, which means 240kg comes off the total. That puts icecolds team down into third!!

What a turn around, teams switching places left right and centre, a truly nail biting finish

Which left the final totals looking as follows:

wanio.png

icecold had revenge in his eyes as we moved on to the dips challenge

And with no dipstation, it was a case of improvising. And what better way to improvise than to spit in the face of cardio and use two treadmills.

ZrKYO.jpg
Delvis showing us how it's done with 16 reps.

MBennet set another huge benchmark with 30 reps, so LiE clearly had a big number in his mind when he went up...

zmTKe.jpg
Smashing home 38 reps, a massive number, which even with icecold up next surely wouldn't be beaten.

But sure enough, with the failed set still hurting in his mind, ice put that aside and repped out a massive 40! I would have got pics but it was like a blur, the speed in which they came out

Syla5 was up next, and surely he couldn't match the chins challenge and pull out a last gasp shock

27 reps in...
4WuZq.jpg
And despite the huge triceps, he was done, and icecold took the glory!

3UFfw.png

And that was it, all that was left was for the gym rats to discuss the feats they witnessed this fine day

vpDlK.jpg

4No3b.jpg

uYf16.jpg

What's ice looking so happy about??!
nx1VJ.jpg

O LAWD!!
Z8zsV.jpg

And some more rape for LiE this time

7lqdO.jpg

And that was it for Temple, then it was on to Nandos where everyone was too hungry for photos

It was a fantastic meet guys, thank you all for coming and I can't wait to organise the next

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom