Half Life 3?

Associate
Valve have likely had many concept versions of HL3 over the past couple of decades that have been scrapped due to not being up to standard, or due to new adoptions such as VR and raytracing, forcing them to go back to the drawing board.

Gabe Newell may also have adopted some Cave Johnson style megalomania or perfectionist characteristics and be demanding it's perfect before release. The 20 year anniversary does hold a lot weight. Both Half Life Alyx and Portal RT are likely taken from HL3 development and basically extended tech demos.

If HL3 releases I think it will brilliantly meld HL, Portal and Left 4 Dead, like the Orange Box but all as part of the same game, possibly with some open world aspects, with coop options likely.

Still have faith they have some great plans for it, but they could just as easy not make it and count their billions from their cut of software sales instead.

Associate
I'd love to see Gordon's story come to a conclusion but I can't see a way that Valve could create a HL3 with the weight of expectations the game would have after all this time.

Valve infamously has a flat development hierarchy meaning that the devs are largely free to pursue whatever they want to work on and projects kinda 'coalesce' based on internal interest and momentum - if the devs aren't confident they can deliver on the expectations of HL3, they're unlikely ever to seriously attempt it beyond some internal demos.

Even HL:Alyx seemed to struggle getting to the finish line if you listen to the dev commentary (and necessarily adopted a hierarchy in order to actually get the game finished).

I still live in hope though!

Caporegime
Why wouldn't they make a Half Life 3. It makes so much financial sense.

Also what every happened to Half Life 2 episode 3?

They started making DLC for Half Life 2 and released episode 1 and 2 but 3 is still MIA.
Because they literally have more money than they know what to do with, and spend their time doing whatever experimental stuff they feel like, that week.

And last time I checked, they have a really weird organisational structure, where nobody tells anyone else what to do. Projects "coalesce" and fall apart, like leaves in a storm...

e: meh, beaten. Glad I'm not remembering wrong, tho :p

Last edited:
Associate
Because they literally have more money than they know what to do with, and spend their time doing whatever experimental stuff they feel like, that week.

And last time I checked, they have a really weird organisational structure, where nobody tells anyone else what to do. Projects "coalesce" and fall apart, like leaves in a storm...

e: meh, beaten. Glad I'm not remembering wrong, tho :p
They do what they want and make buckets of cash, but it can only work out this way because they're still privately owned. I wouldn't wish for another game from them as long as they stay that way.

Caporegime
They do what they want and make buckets of cash, but it can only work out this way because they're still privately owned. I wouldn't wish for another game from them as long as they stay that way.
They don't owe us anything. The flip side of that coin is that I lost interest in Valve games a long time ago. I don't even think about any of their games, and haven't for a long, long time.

Steam is great, but I also use Epic, Gog, and others.

I'll probably be eaten alive, but Half Life was just a good game. It wasn't a life-changing experience, or anything. If we don't get HL3 I can't say it bothers me. It's become a meme, like Duke Nukem. And they'll defo want to avoid the fate of DNF.

Associate
They don't owe us anything. The flip side of that coin is that I lost interest in Valve games a long time ago. I don't even think about any of their games, and haven't for a long, long time.

Steam is great, but I also use Epic, Gog, and others.

I'll probably be eaten alive, but Half Life was just a good game. It wasn't a life-changing experience, or anything. If we don't get HL3 I can't say it bothers me. It's become a meme, like Duke Nukem. And they'll defo want to avoid the fate of DNF.
I agree to an extent. Half life was decent, but not the best game ever. It was one of the first proper 3d shooters I played on PC though and even had buckets of fun in death match on ps2, so it has a special place for me.

I don't expect or worry if hl3 is ever made. That time has been and gone. If it happens, then great, I still have every confidence it will be good and definitely nothing like Duke Nukem.

I also use epic for a couple of titles, but launch everything through steam for input and streaming. Plus I have a steam deck so it all fits together nicely between the desktop and that. Epic doesn't have a native Linux client or provide any Linux native builds for games that provide them on steam! Absolute rubbish and just another feather in Valve's cap.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think HL3 if it ever came out would be a game I'd just buy without question. HL2 was the first proper game I bought and the most enjoyable game (aside from UT2004), I remember I bought it in Scarborough GAME on my holiday at Blue Dolphin Haven, I had a Radeon 9600 (Non Pro) and it ran fantastic! The graphics are still quite nice to this day! In fact, that purchase of HL2, the installation of it, was the birth of my STEAM account.

Last edited:
Reactions: VTR
Soldato
They don't owe us anything.
The only thing I would say there is, they owe everyone a statement that a sequel to Episode 2 isn't being made. They said it was coming out, and despite abandoning it about 15 years ago, they never announced this decision. Even when asked directly about it they would deflect the question, which has lead to this constant speculation.

Caporegime
I think HL3 if it ever came out would be a game I'd just buy without question. HL2 was the first proper game I bought and the most enjoyable game (aside from UT2004), I remember I bought it in Scarborough GAME on my holiday at Blue Dolphin Haven, I had a Radeon 9600 (Non Pro) and it ran fantastic! The graphics are still quite nice to this day! In fact, that purchase of HL2, the installation of it, was the birth of my STEAM account.
Heh. Also had a 9600 (XT) and iirc HL2 came with it. It was probably the first game in many new Steam accounts :)

Soldato
Jinkies, We've been hoodwinked! HL3 is a lie.
no no the cake is a lie :p

they always said they would do things on their time table rather than other peoples.
Like Zefan said its a big problem if they mess it up with possible knock on effects their platform and customers (publishers and developers using the platform)

The only thing I would say there is, they owe everyone a statement that a sequel to Episode 2 isn't being made. They said it was coming out, and despite abandoning it about 15 years ago, they never announced this decision. Even when asked directly about it they would deflect the question, which has lead to this constant speculation.
they really DONT ow us anything, and their argument may well be the technology isnt thee yet for what they want to achieve blah blah blah.

Plenty of film and video game franchiese destroyed or badly damaged with 1 poor release or poor desission (star wars / Marvel are good recent examples of film frnchies /Supreme Commander 2)
personaly i see it as a great advantage they have not released HL3 gives people freedom to make there own content up if they so choose.

@FoxEye pretty much said it spot on

Last edited:
Soldato
they really DONT ow us anything, and their argument may well be the technology isnt thee yet for what they want to achieve blah blah blah.
They owe us a statement, which is what I said, not necessarily a game. If you say you're going to do something, you either do it, or say you're no longer going to do it.

If Valve's argument is 'the technology isn't there', then that's fine, say it and move on, but when they just dodge the question, it only leads people on.

There was more to the story to be told, they said it was going to be released, gave release dates and then just ghosted everyone after that. One single statement by them could have resolved this.

Last edited:
Associate
They owe us a statement, which is what I said, not necessarily a game. If you say you're going to do something, you either do it, or say you're no longer going to do it.

If Valve's argument is 'the technology isn't there', then that's fine, say it and move on, but when they just dodge the question, it only leads people on.

There was more to the story to be told, they said it was going to be released, gave release dates and then just ghosted everyone after that. One single statement by them could have resolved this.
They don't have to say anything. What does it matter anyway? It either gets made or it doesn't and life goes on either way. No big deal.

Soldato
They don't have to say anything.
If person Y tells a bunch of people they are going to do X, then realises they aren't going to be able to do it, I would expect person Y to inform people of this, especially when people keep asking about it. It's called common curtsey.

What does it matter anyway? It either gets made or it doesn't and life goes on either way. No big deal.
You could say that about almost everything. Why even play HL? Life goes on either way. No big deal.

Associate
If person Y tells a bunch of people they are going to do X, then realises they aren't going to be able to do it, I would expect person Y to inform people of this, especially when people keep asking about it. It's called common curtsey.

You could say that about almost everything. Why even play HL? Life goes on either way. No big deal.

Well yeah.. is it a big deal? There are an endless number of things to do and not enough time for them all.
Don't take it so personally. Focus on other things and maybe one day we'll all be pleasantly surprised. :)

Caporegime
Hard to believe we're almost 20 years since Half Life 2. Half Life 3 would be huge, but it just seems like Valve are making too much money to care about finishing the story.

The way they keep basically ignoring the question about if the game is going to be made or is in development is also annoying. Just seems like they simply cannot be bothered as they're printing money with steam. They couldn't even manage to do the 3 promised addons to HL2 to continue the story, at one point they claimed that these 3 follow-ups\expansions would basically BE HL3, but somewhere along the line they just seemed to not care and stopped after the second leaving a ton of story unexplored and a lot of questions unanswered.

The last actual taste we got of Half Life was in 2007 with episode 2, (yeah we got the Alyx game but that required a headset so doesn't really count in terms of the main story). I just wish they'd make it and stop ******* around.

The ending of Alyx basically hints at more to come (hopefully without a headset), but as usual with Valve they say nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom