Half Life 3?

I played Alyx with the noVR mod, not buying VR just for one game LOL!
I had a blast with my son's VR kit that he got for Xmas recently, and umm, bought my own set shortly after.

Bought Alyx in the Summer sale which I have had a look at, but not had a chance to play properly yet (literally the first game I bought). I intend to this weekend after getting back from holiday ;)

Re 3...

I think it will be a VR game, IF and when(!) it does come out.

I remember reading a Gabe interview who basically said that it's been built up so much that it's never going to match people's expectations.

However, it would literally print money so, you never know right.

I believe the main writer left Valve many moons ago...

a quick Google

For those of you worried that the Half Life writers are "gone"...​

Rest assured. For starters, half life never had a single writer. The game was written by multiple people, and as has been stated, the narrative followed the gameplay not the other way around. Yes, Marc Laidlaw was the "head" writer who wrote the overall story (who the combine are, the general story for half life 1 and 2) but he didn't write everything, all of the dialogue, all of the set pieces. Secondly, the story he was writing was never secret. He was training other writers back as far as 2007 because he had always planned on retiring. Others in valve likely knew his outline and ideas. He posted his entire outline online anyway.
Thirdly, valves writing quality was always more about dialogue, humor, scripting, less about the general story. The general story was pretty vague. I'm definitely curious who the Gman is, the nature of the combine, how it fits into the ending of half life 2, but I always had the feeling that the writers didn't know that yet. I always more was wowed by the actually writing in the game from scene to scene, less of the general "lore"
And 4th and most importantly, they rewrote half life alyx with eric wolpaw and others who returned to work on this project. They replaced the new writer valve hired because playtesters didn't really like the story. Play testers say the story now is excellent. We also shouldn't be worried that the rewrite only occurred at the beginning of this year because like marc laidlaw said, writing story doesn't have an integral component fo the development of the game creation. Its not like most games where writing happens first. Set pieces were probably tweaked, shifted around in order, some art assets manipulated, voice lines rerecorded, but its unlikely it changed the core gameplay. Its also being reported that valve has been working with laidlaw for this project. Not as a rehired employee like they did with others, but as a consultant.

So who knows...

Re pre-ordering. Never pre-ordered a game in my life, and don't intend to.

HL3 however? Shut up and take my money!

Random video that popped in my head when typing this

Last edited:
As we're back on it, be careful what you wish for.

I'm one of the few that first played HL2 for the first time 15yrs later after release. It was a great thing to do.

Anyone who claims HL2 is the best game ever would never enjoy a HL3, but everyone else i think would.

It absolutely doesn't matter how long the gap between games is, if it turns out to be great. I actually always found HL2 to have a weak story. It has a great setting, and awesome backstory, but the narrative of the game was lacking. What even was the story? Get across the city, don't get killed, drive a hoverboat, don't get killed, crowbar and gravity gun your way through some other perilous locations, and so on.

I don't think it will be diffilcult to write a better story - they just need to knock it out the park with the world, set pieces and next level presentation.

Last edited:
Guys you can't keep bumping this thread, I have heart palpitations every time I see a new post in it...

Like a few have said, i'm no longer the gaming mad teenager I was when HL2 was released, i'm now miserable and getting older, and my expectations for games are so low that I just can't get fully hyped for HL3 anymore.

Add onto that how Valve have handled CS2, I doubt I'd pre-order it. Plus, it's not like Valve need the money from a pre-order :cry:

Guys you can't keep bumping this thread, I have heart palpitations every time I see a new post in it...

Like a few have said, i'm no longer the gaming mad teenager I was when HL2 was released, i'm now miserable and getting older, and my expectations for games are so low that I just can't get fully hyped for HL3 anymore.

Add onto that how Valve have handled CS2, I doubt I'd pre-order it. Plus, it's not like Valve need the money from a pre-order :cry:
heh yeh I kinda get that

I don't suspect EA will need pre-orders for FC/FIFA 34237846378 either, but yeh, it will happen in spades...

Too far gone at this point I feel, don't get me wrong if they ever did announce it then the hype will be crazy, but I don't see it living up to expectations. I personally didn't rate the story side of HL2, gameplay wise yeah it was amazing, but I found the plot to be pretty weak and confusing. They'd not only have to nail the gameplay but the story pay off would have to be pretty big as well, which I think is an issue because I don't think they knew where they were going with it even back then.

Too far gone at this point I feel, don't get me wrong if they ever did announce it then the hype will be crazy, but I don't see it living up to expectations. I personally didn't rate the story side of HL2, gameplay wise yeah it was amazing, but I found the plot to be pretty weak and confusing. They'd not only have to nail the gameplay but the story pay off would have to be pretty big as well, which I think is an issue because I don't think they knew where they were going with it even back then.
Yeh I guess, for a lot of people that will be the case.

I will always love to see 3 if it happens though.

For me, my interest has been sparked with just recently getting a VR headset and Alyx.

Further to @Parky's point.

I do think (again if it does happen) it will be a VR title, as in I don't see how the benchmark can be raised so much with a flat panel experience (HL2 and the episodes of being a benchmark title/s is now a long time ago in any case etc).

Alyx, depsite it's age is still considered by many to be the benchmark in VR, so it makes sense that that particular benchmark can be raised by Valve.

Anyways, here's hoping!

The weight of expectation and hype after years of Valve can't count to 3 memes, could this ever live up to it?

Would hate for this to turn into a Duke Nukem Forever situation :D

First time I played HL2 was last year, with the VR mod.

Played Alyx, and all of the 3rd party HL2 extensions. All excellent.

So I don't have the whole baggage of having played HL2 20 years ago. It may be as has been suggested, that VR is the way to go, except of course that you are decimating the potential customerbase if you go solely that direction, which means the amount of resources that can be put into the game is correspondingly lower.

Maybe they'll thow a curve and do it on unreal which will bring it to VR too.

The weight of expectation and hype after years of Valve can't count to 3 memes, could this ever live up to it?

Would hate for this to turn into a Duke Nukem Forever situation :D
I don't think gamers these days have any expectation for it as its been too long those who played it back in the day are in care homes these days. Ok thats a joke but it definitely something that belongs to a previous generation.

Saw the news and heart skipped. I do think that if it's real it will have to have a specific or new 'quirk' or revolutionary pushing feature.

Back
Top Bottom