Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
Even after the first few times, I still jumped when a headcrab leaped at me and panicked as I emptied a clip at it to make sure it didn't go again. Breathless and brilliant.

I still panic when reloading when under attack. Under pressure it's easy to fumble the reload, either forgetting to release the clip, dropping the new one or forgetting to prime the gun. So much more intense than reloading in pancake games.

Soldato
haha yeah the key is definitely to not rush and panic the reload... it's easy enough to dodge the headcrabs because they telegraph their jump very well and as long as you don't let yourself get backed into a corner the headcrab zombies are too slow to be any real threat.

Especially important to take your time with those armoured crabs. Be slow and deliberate, wait for them to rear up before their jump and then carefully shoot them in the heart.

I'm still not very far through (about 3hrs... ironic that I'm not working at the moment but having a 2yr old and a wife stuck at home results in less free time) and have only started dealing with the combine relatively recently. On normal mode they seem to be pretty forgiving in their reaction times.

Soldato
I still panic when reloading when under attack. Under pressure it's easy to fumble the reload, either forgetting to release the clip, dropping the new one or forgetting to prime the gun. So much more intense than reloading in pancake games.
Yes it is, it's exciting. Can't wait to go back later. Loving the references to previous HL games too, it is also very well written.

Soldato
It doesn't help that the button to eject the mag and close the slide isn't consistent on all guns, so you end up ejecting mags after reloading, then fumbling around trying to pick it up or load a new one :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just gave this a quick try on the Quest using the latest Beta of Virtual desktop, and it's very good. I'm getting some performance issues - movement isn't smooth (possibly the motion smoothing issue I spotted on my Index), and some frame drops, but the image quality is great, though a little soft, and the controller tracking is almost flawless. The jitteryness and visual artefacts of the previous versions have gone. I am very impressed! No doubt with a bit of tweaking It would be very playable, and best of all... wireless!

Soldato
I have played Boneworks and Thrill of the Fight and lots of other games, but this is the first game that I find myself constantly moving outside the guardian boundary.

Soldato
I have played Boneworks and Thrill of the Fight and lots of other games, but this is the first game that I find myself constantly moving outside the guardian boundary.

I banged one of my Index controllesr slightly on the sloping ceiling of my attic room where I have my setup. Luckily it escaped with a couple of very small scratches. No where near as battle scarred yet as my CV1 touch controllers yet. (But then CV1 touch controllers are made out of a combo of Adamantium and the plastic they make Nokias out of - Index controllers are more fragile.)

Associate
Just gave my Mrs a go it, papped herself and handed it back after two minutes :)

I just wish my pc was in another room for this as I'd love to play it with a big open space.

Associate
haha yeah the key is definitely to not rush and panic the reload... .

Not that I often remember to do so under pressure, but if you can remember to reload when the pistol has 1 round left, that means you can slot a new mag in and then continue firing without having to pull back on the slide.

On unrelated note, smooth turning has apparently been fixed. Looking forward to another session tonight.

Soldato
Not that I often remember to do so under pressure, but if you can remember to reload when the pistol has 1 round left, that means you can slot a new mag in and then continue firing without having to pull back on the slide.

On unrelated note, smooth turning has apparently been fixed. Looking forward to another session tonight.

That's a very good tip.

Smooth turning works fine, except that teleport is on the same stick and I keep triggering it. I'll have to see if I can move teleport to a different button. I think the A button on the left controller (X on Oclulus Touch) could be free. I'm reluctant to use the stick click on the Index due to the horror stories of it causing stick drift, otherwise that'd be ideal.

Man of Honour
If anyone is playing this on rift/quest I definitely recommend some AMVR or mamut style grips to give you the index like ability to open your hand - makes throwing and using the gravity gloves significantly better imo.

I took your advice and the AMVR grips have just arrived. While I haven't played yet I have set them up and they work a treat. I know things like opening doors will feel much better. Thanks for the tip

Soldato
I took your advice and the AMVR grips have just arrived. While I haven't played yet I have set them up and they work a treat. I know things like opening doors will feel much better. Thanks for the tip

I've got those for my Quest and they're great. I don't use them too much because they won't fit in my official carry case, but when I play Alyx wirelessly I'll use them.

Soldato

I would recommend to get used to using the button to release the slide, it's like what you would do on a real pistol (just slide down the slide catch with your thumb) and is much quicker than trying to rack the slide again. Mag release button while reaching over your shoulder with the other hand to grab the new magazine, insert new mag and just tap the slide release button (B on quest/rift)… job done quick as a flash!

It would be nice if they had a shooting range, and I would very much like to be able to detach the gun from my hand.... I don't like that it's permanently glued there. Would be useful to be able to switch hands on the fly, dual wield, throw your gun at a zombie in blind panic etc. Absolutely loving the game but there are a few design decisions like that, no melee, no jump option etc which I disagree with.

Soldato

There are quite a few choices around now but I do like my AMVR grips. I have fairly large hands so they nicely increase the size of the grips too... hope you enjoy them!

Soldato
Talk about the faff with reloading and then forgetting to drop the clip and entering and exiting the menu as I mash every button on the Vive wands just trying to remember what button does what on which wand while just wanting to get the hell away after picking up the damn torch! It's brilliant :)

I've actually knocked the setting to medium and I'm stunned how well it plays on my setup; although I'm sure the performance would not be acceptable for others.

Game is utterly amazing and I'm purposely doing just an hourly play a day to elongate the experience through these trying times!

Back
Top Bottom