Halo Infinite

Soldato
Using a mouse is dirty on BTB, they really need to add a controller only option to that mode as that is putting off more players than the apparant cheating. The aim assist stops working for pad users at mid range and even horrendous mouse users wreck decent pad players at BTB's typically long range fights.

I can't really tell when someone out beams me, whether they're just better, got lucky or if it's a mouse, but I'll take your word for it. Either way, I don't play BTB all that much and when I do, it's mostly just mucking around / making a bee line for the shock rifle / power weapons anyways.

Ignoring some dodgy hit registration, server desync issues and the lack of a server browser for now, I'm a pretty "forgiving"gamer and don't rage at too much, but I'm experiencing some really bizarre point allocation in ranked at the moment - not sure if you've experienced all these.

Back to our previous discussion on how ranking works, I must say that I've had some insanely frustrating experiences.

I get the general gist that your rank gain or loss is related to how "well" you do in a match, weighted by your rank and how strong your team is collectively, against the collective strength of the other team (Onyx player in the same team or opposing team seems to throw the balance in a direction even moreso than any high diamond). How well you do, seems to have little to do with the objective, and much more to do with KD/A and damage done.

Some examples where my understanding falls apart though;

3v4 starts

This should simply never happen and I get it a fair bit. It may happen that a player DC's or quits before you can even see that they officially joined, but when this happens, then the losing team (highly likely to be the team with 3 players) should simply not lose anything.

* I have won a strongholds match on streets where we were 3 and they were a full team. Me, and Onyx player I was on Discord with and a random. We played our little hearts out, wont all our 1v1's and often 1v2 (or at least did a lot of damage to the second for the cleanup). The other team all were about the same rank as me at the time. I got almost no rank gain whatsoever, with lots of occupation time, more than double me deaths and a lot of damage

* I have won a game of TDM, where we were 4 and the other team were 3. I gained loads after completely smashing the other team. This wasn't fair - they were all lower rank as me as well.

"Random" points gain / loss

* I went 31:13 on Behemoth CTF, did the most damage out of both teams by more than 1000 damage, couple of flag pulls and a return, won the game and got next to nothing. I was the highest ranked player in my team, but the opposing team were all the same rank as me, bar one (D5 at the time, so therefore their collective strength was higher and the rest of my team was punching up). The only lower ranked player in the other team was D1 or D2, I can't quite recall).

* I've gone and "punched down" against lower ranked players, did pretty average, and gained a healthy chunk.

* Oddball - high Diamond teams, held onto the thing for 3 minutes, 12ish kills with 7 deaths - very balanced teams, gained a hair's breadth.

* Had a night where I teamed up with 3 other Onyx players and came up against full stack Onyx opposing teams. I lost nearly half my D5 rank from our losses (granted, at times I went negative, but that happened very rarely), and when we won, on a fair few occasions I'd be up there on the leaderboard / damage done, and I'd gain so very little that it made no sense for me to continue.

To be clear, when I get good chunks for no apparent reason, happens much less than the other way around :D

I know all this sounds like a right moan, but point allocation seems downright broken at times. No one but me cares about my rank (D6 now), but I really would like to get to Onyx now that I've seen I can hold my own on Onyx only matches.

ps: It's happening more often now, but I run into opposing teams of Onyx or high Diamond, coupled with very low level players (like Bronze!), yet, the low level player is holding their own and doing a load of OBJ play, while the Onyx is slaying out. I'm assuming they're boosting (i.e: lose little from losses but gain a lot from wins?)?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It’s always been the win/loss that gives you a positive/negative rank movement and your KDA that affects how far in each direction you go. The rank just has not always been shown visibly in older Halo games.

It’s a bit more complicated than that but that’s the general gist. It actually matters who killed you/you killed and your difference in ranks for each interaction.

It makes sense because you win or lose as a team, and you capturing 3 flags doesn’t mean that you contributed more than the players who got the pulls, controlled the power ups, or cleared the route for you.

Individual 1 on 1 results is the only clear way to determine if you’re generally better than your opponents so that is the only clear way to determine how much to shift your MMR.

It’s not an easy problem for the developers to solve, but they have chosen the only fair way.

Don’t forget that your rank change is also delayed/a weighted average to an extent (your previous games factor into the change) to stop people determining their exact MMR before Onyx. You can’t just naively look at a single game in isolation and assume that the ranking is broken because you did well but only went up a little.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again, I know no one cares, but I'm so happy about this.
Having missed out on all the Halo MP when it was at its peak and knowing it's the kind of fps that suits me, I found it very hard to do well in Halo after the matter (MCC MP on a terrible ping), having played COD for so long , I had so many "bad habits" I needed to work out

CsGl72n.jpg.png

Time to play a few social matches again, maybe some BTB next week when they fix it :D

Man of Honour
Interesting read and quite illuminating. TLDR; Social games including BOT matches, factor into MMR. https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/sjcg8u/its_official_matchmaking_is_broken_social_games/

Your ranked MMR has been impacted by unranked (which also has an MMR but is not shown) in Halo for quite a few iterations of the game now. What this Reddit post shows is common knowledge amongst those interested in MMR, i.e. effectively you have a game-wide MMR and have done for many years.

The only new (and possibly a little weird) thing is that bot matches affect your MMR, but if the bots are given an accurate MMR according to their difficulty level then even this is fine.

Microsoft don't try to hide any of this, although I concede that they don't openly try to explain it. Here's Microsoft's publication on the new version they have used for ~5 years for Halo and GoW: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...kill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/

This global MMR only applies when the game doesn't have enough information on your specific playlist, and stops being a thing for older accounts so the moron testing it on a new accounts was always going to get this result.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really enjoyed the single player campaign, definitely worth going through. A little bit stale early on but it soon picks up when you get into it.

Soldato
1 new map for season 2 arena, no balance changes for some of the poorest weapons, no net code fix, no option to disable playing with mouse users, no coop for many more months, many months to add basic game modes…

343 are useless, and the game deserves to die off with the lack of support.

Well of course it does. It’s modern gaming 101.

Why spend money implementing what your player base want/need for no return?

Make notes and ensure you implement the changes for Halo Infinite 2.

That will be £59.99 please, or sign up to our monthly subscription service………

Or at best it’s a year one season pass update for £29.99.

Soldato
Honestly the only shooter for online play I stick with its apex legends now. That's cause it gets new content or modes on a regular basis.

I have had allot of fun with halo infinite but it really needs content as in modes or maps not just random cat ears

Back
Top Bottom