Halo (TV Series)

Soldato
First episode was OK. Not the best, but definitely not the worst of the recent sci-fi shows. Have to say though, I'm glad to see they kept the gore and didn't sanitise it in order to cater to US children. Some shoddy CGI moments though.
Agree. I know sod all about Hallo and Master Chef but it was ok viewing. Didn’t expect the gore I must admit!

I did notice a game and a certain tv show reference which was a nice surprise.

Soldato
Honestly, while I'm not a die hard Halo fan I do know a bit of it and this just felt so generic. You could literally call it anything you like if you remove the halo branding and change the key names of characters/enemies, hell you could call it a remake of space above and beyond...

Didn't help that I kept thinking of the Mandalorian every time Master Chief spoke too.

Canon might as well not exist in the tv series either....

Caporegime
Honestly, while I'm not a die hard Halo fan I do know a bit of it and this just felt so generic. You could literally call it anything you like if you remove the halo branding and change the key names of characters/enemies, hell you could call it a remake of space above and beyond...

Didn't help that I kept thinking of the Mandalorian every time Master Chief spoke too.

Canon might as well not exist in the tv series either....
To be honest Halo started as a pretty generic corridor shooter as that’s about all the original Xbox could cope with, although it does have its moments. I wouldn’t say any of the games, although I think the last one I played was maybe 3, was particularly ground breaking, but then neither was CoD or many other FPS games.

Caporegime
To be honest Halo started as a pretty generic corridor shooter as that’s about all the original Xbox could cope with, although it does have its moments. I wouldn’t say any of the games, although I think the last one I played was maybe 3, was particularly ground breaking, but then neither was CoD or many other FPS games.

Did it :confused:

Halo 1 is most famous for levels like Halo and The Silent Cartographer which are emphatically not generic corridor shooter, that is one of the reason it was so heralded.

Caporegime
Did it :confused:

Halo 1 is most famous for levels like Halo and The Silent Cartographer which are emphatically not generic corridor shooter, that is one of the reason it was so heralded.

Later in the game with the flood its basically generic corridors with larger rooms attached that people got lost in all the time

Caporegime
Ok seen the first episode, some thoughts:

Madrigal was great, fighting was more brutal than I expected especially the first kids just being blown apart by plasma fire. The little FPS cuts and shots of shield charging etc fit well.

Elites look a little derpy but the prophet looked fine a few scenes later.

Halsey is a little young but I think the actress is playing her well, liked that they're getting the power struggles within the UNSC and the politics within humanity.

All the vehicles and equipment from the game look great. Especially the Condor and Warthogs.

Obviously biggest question at moment is the human with the covenant as that is the biggest departure from the original story. Will be interesting to see where that goes.

Early days but it was an encouraging first episode imo, could still go both ways.

Caporegime
Ok seen the first episode, some thoughts:

Madrigal was great, fighting was more brutal than I expected especially the first kids just being blown apart by plasma fire. The little FPS cuts and shots of shield charging etc fit well.

Elites look a little derpy but the prophet looked fine a few scenes later.

Halsey is a little young but I think the actress is playing her well, liked that they're getting the power struggles within the UNSC and the politics within humanity.

All the vehicles and equipment from the game look great. Especially the Condor and Warthogs.

Obviously biggest question at moment is the human with the covenant as that is the biggest departure from the original story. Will be interesting to see where that goes.

Early days but it was an encouraging first episode imo, could still go both ways.
They just couldn't resist making him 'more human' with a crisis of confidence and have him remove his helmet. A great start to the Episode and then a gradual decline for me. I'll still watch, I'm playing through Halo 1 on the MCC hence my good knowledge of endless corridors leading to more areas with corridors. The outdoor sections are good though it's true.

Soldato
Did anyone else notice the shockingly bad CGI when

he chucked the MA5 assault rifle onto the floor. Was there really any need to make the rifle CGI?

bi7TWYH.jpg

Was nearly as bad as when Rick spotted bambi in TWD.

Caporegime
MC has never been a mindless killing machine, I'm pretty sure the game/book MC wouldn't have just executed an unarmed human. He disobeys direct orders multiple times in the existing canon too when it conflicts with his morality. I'm fine with him taking his helmet off as long as it on most of the time. There is no logical reason why it has to be on all the time and I always thought it was dumb in the games when they show multiple other Spartans removing them all the time but John doesn't.

And yeah that bit of CGI was definitely bad

Soldato
How is the handguns from the Spartans work on the aliens but not the bigger machine guns from the insurgents?

Depends on the rounds.

Must be the same as the minuguns, the insurgents were using them on the elites and nothing, master chief gets one and proceeds to mow them down. :confused:

You need to concentrate fire to take their shields down though.

Anyone know if the story is gonna be completely different to the canon in the games or does this simply pre-date Halo Reach?

edit:

To answer my own question, a different timeline.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/25/why-is-the-halo-tv-series-set-in-the-silver-timeline/

Back
Top Bottom