Hamilton hatred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm forever coming across more and more people that seem to have intense hatred towards Lewis Hamilton. Not just online, but in real life. I found a facebook page dedicated towards hating the man. I get articles popping up on my social media feeds often with a click bait article about Hamilton, and the comments.... astounding the level of hatred towards this man.

This seems to have increased tenfold lately as a result of his views on the Black Lives Matters stuff. Many people claiming he is a hypocrite being sponsored by Mercedes and Hugo Boss which have (tedious, dated) ties with racism of the past. Another major criticism seems to be him living in a tax free Monaco (as many of the drivers do), his look/style and his major success in formula one deemed to have "ruined" formula one forever.

I can understand hatred towards someone like say Michael Schumacher (who I totally respect by the way) just because of his past where he had a very arrogant attitude and went to levels to do anything to win, including very obvious cheating. His major success with Ferrari obviously became boring, and people wanted to see someone else win. The same thing happened with Seb Vettel to some extent, mainly because of his behaviour in the past, combined with dominance for a period in the Red Bull. All drivers have to be arrogant to an extent to survive and perform at the top in F1.

But with Hamilton, I don't see a bad person there. He has had his share of controversies as much as anyone that has been in the F1 circus for that long at the top, but I see a good guy underneath. In terms of his ability, I don't think anyone could realistically argue it has even been in doubt.

What are your thoughts on this?

Soldato
Have to agree, no matter what he does many people have nothing good to say about him in any respect.

It does make you wonder if race is the issue here it has to be said.

I personally think he is an incredible young(ish) man both morally and professionally.

Soldato
Many of these celebrities who bang on about how the rest of us should live our lives aren't 'bad people'. The problem is, they're hypocrites.

Hamilton loves to jump on these bandwagons. Before BLM it was the environment and carbon. The guy's personal carbon footprint is hundreds, if not thousands of times of most people. How dare he lecture me on how I should change.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Many of these celebrities who bang on about how the rest of us should live our lives aren't 'bad people'. The problem is, they're hypocrites.

Hamilton loves to jump on these bandwagons. Before BLM it was the environment and carbon. The guy's personal carbon footprint is hundreds, if not thousands of times of most people. How dare he lecture me on how I should change.
He's not jumping on bandwagons. He has experienced racism and inequality first-hand. He also sold his private jet to try and make a difference in his carbon emissions.
He is honestly trying to make a difference and is frustrated by the lack of empathy and unity among the drivers.

It does make you wonder if race is the issue here it has to be said.
Of course it is. That is the precise point of the BLM movement.

Soldato
He's not jumping on bandwagons. He has experienced racism and inequality first-hand. He also sold his private jet to try and make a difference in his carbon emissions.
Not jumping on bandwagons? What did he do last year to help black people then?

And as far as experiencing inequality - I'm sorry but he's one of the most privileged people in this country. His parents would have sacrificed a lot to give him that chance in life - but privilege is a lot more than the colour of your skin.

He also sold his private jet to try and make a difference in his carbon emissions.
Seriously? Why did he buy a private jet then? You know, before he got on the carbon bandwagon?

I love Hamilton as a driver. But he's a complete hypocrite off of the track.

Soldato

F1 is his life, it's his career, just like it is for everyone else on the grid, and in other forms of motorsport a thousand times over.

Are you saying he should quit F1 to be more carbon neutral?

Soldato
Before BLM it was the environment and carbon. The guy's personal carbon footprint is hundreds.........

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you have your own private jet, then you are definitely doing your bit for the planet

:p

....and I can't really stand the bloke now. I can't stand F1 now too, but he just seems to be so whingy and whiney now. And as stated above, quite the hypocrite.

Soldato
He's quite an odd person, but I don't believe he is a bad one.

I'm not sure why he gets so much hate, especially when compared to say Marcus Rashford who is a black, english, sportsman. Maybe it's the sport and its supporters? I've heard F1 is supposed to be the most racist sport going.

Then again, maybe it's just because he comes across a bit werid.

Soldato
Not jumping on bandwagons? What did he do last year to help black people then?

What did anyone do to help black people? Nothing.

He's always been outspoken on inequality.

And as far as experiencing inequality - I'm sorry but he's one of the most privileged people in this country. His parents would have sacrificed a lot to give him that chance in life - but privilege is a lot more than the colour of your skin.
He's only privelaged because of his families sacrifice and from that what he has achieved, no?[/QUOTE]

Soldato
He's quite an odd person, but I don't believe he is a bad one.

I'm not sure why he gets so much hate, especially when compared to say Marcus Rashford who is a black, english, sportsman. Maybe it's the sport and its supporters? I've heard F1 is supposed to be the most racist sport going.

Then again, maybe it's just because he comes across a bit werid.
If you look at the various comments on motorsport websites about him, it's clearly not because he's a bit odd, they absolutely hate him.

Soldato
I'm not particularly bothered by him.

Excellent driver, I don't pay any attention to him beyond that.

I do know a couple of people who feel he's ruined F1 in some way, that there's no real competition anymore and they feel the sport has become boring. Bit of an odd take in my mind as I can't really remember a time where a handful of specific teams and drivers didn't dominate the sport.

Soldato
Everyone is a hypocrite so I'm not sure you can go after him too much for that.

Indeed, you only have to look at how some people laude Schumacher as the greatest driver yet slam Hamilton as only winning because he has the best car.

I do think some people see the ‘ease’ in which Hamilton entered F1 and has won WDC’s as a reason to dislike him. There’s no doubt the cars make a massive difference but it isn’t a coincidence that the best drivers end up in the best teams.

Outside of F1 though, I can see why he personally gets a marmite opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom