Hand made Infill plane (woodwork)

With the plane nearly done I was eager to take a shaving.

I was pleased to see it make a cut but the mouth needed some refinement, I used a barrette file to ease it slightly.

a7MNGWy.jpg

With that done I could move onto the box.

I mitred some piece of oak and used masking tape to pull it all together to check the joins.

Q5Y4HOm.jpg

Once I was happy I then mitred the top and bot of the box

ZXOEcmI.jpg

Again using masking tape to pull it all together while the glue dried.

Wn6SRPs.jpg

I made the padauk liner in a similar fashion but no need for the top and bottom on this one. Once the glue had dried I polished the seen area leaving a part unfished to be glued to the inside of the oak box.

3I4OJOZ.jpg

With the oak box glued together I could cut it in half at the desired angle and begin to polish it.

YDBZq5f.jpg

Next I started to make the retainer for the plane, I removed most of the waste with a forstner bit

3BNxY5u.jpg

Then removed the rest on the band saw before cleaning up with hand files and adding a rebate around the outside.

nbBQQaY.jpg

I could then assemble the box and fully French polish it.

kBJJAYq.jpg

I finished the retainer in black paint and added black card to the top and bottom of the box to finish it,

Copdxqg.jpg

and finally the plane and box were complete.

nNPlD19.jpg

I really enjoyed making this one, the curved shape and small size threw up quite a lot of challenges but it was very satisfying thinking of ways to overcome them and to see the plane progress how I had envisioned it.

I couldn't get any video of making the plane but I've done a short clip of it in use if you're interested to see.

Cheers, Dan.

Last edited:
With the plane nearly done I was eager to take a shaving.

I was pleased to see it make a cut but the mouth needed some refinement, I used a barrette file to ease it slightly.

a7MNGWy.jpg

With that done I could move onto the box.

I mitred some piece of oak and used masking tape to pull it all together to check the joins.

Q5Y4HOm.jpg

Once I was happy I then mitred the top and bot of the box

ZXOEcmI.jpg

Again using masking tape to pull it all together while the glue dried.

Wn6SRPs.jpg

I made the padauk liner in a similar fashion but no need for the top and bottom on this one. Once the glue had dried I polished the seen area leaving a part unfished to be glued to the inside of the oak box.

3I4OJOZ.jpg

With the oak box glued together I could cut it in half at the desired angle and begin to polish it.

YDBZq5f.jpg

Next I started to make the retainer for the plane, I removed most of the waste with a forstner bit

3BNxY5u.jpg

Then removed the rest on the band saw before cleaning up with hand files and adding a rebate around the outside.

nbBQQaY.jpg

I could then assemble the box and fully French polish it.

kBJJAYq.jpg

I finished the retainer in black paint and added black card to the top and bottom of the box to finish it,

Copdxqg.jpg

and finally the plane and box were complete.

nNPlD19.jpg

I really enjoyed making this one, the curved shape and small size threw up quite a lot of challenges but it was very satisfying thinking of ways to overcome them and to see the plane progress how I had envisioned it.

I couldn't get any video of making the plane but I've done a short clip of it in use if you're interested to see.

Cheers, Dan.

Don't know how I missed this, I love the thread when you were making the infill plane and I have to say this is incredible craftmanship, love it!

Holy thread revival :)

Thanks so much for the comment Valve, and for the bump @LuckyBenski

I'm still tinkering away, though I've slowed down even more recently. I still have lots of things I want to make, but time is an ever pressing issue.

Here are a few pics of past recent projects.

Retirement plane

e3UOYP4.jpeg

61Ayp2d.jpeg

BbpHGvq.jpeg

YKiVPF7.jpeg

RQFnRPO.jpeg

DXcCgR0.jpeg

G7YouTN.jpeg

y9hO0uE.jpeg

ePvZNVb.mp4

PHANTOM hand plane

hATf57p.jpeg

eIAz53G.jpeg

9YzgFNy.jpeg

a7Dpkym.jpeg

6AHzB6D.jpeg

OGaAOc1.jpeg

g8OWkqk.jpeg

MfL58EQ.jpeg

s2xAaSx.jpeg

bc90xD8.jpeg

yrBJRhW.jpeg

BYFu1Rc.jpeg

PBC6Q9u.jpeg

OOwrm4g.jpeg

KXClsI4.jpeg

ug9Sz0G.jpeg

ox8EiGI.jpeg

BRes7lZ.jpeg

unVuCMb.jpeg

Last edited:
You could flatten the mild steel sole once it's complete by sticking a sheet of abrasive down on a flat surface. (Best to flatten when it's complete with the iron installed because the pressures of the mounting hardware can warp the sole a bit)

I don't think any plane I've received was both flat and square. I have a Record No7, plus various others. Took 4 hours to get the B&Q number 4 flat and square. Apart from the vintage No7, I had to spend another 2-4 hours rebuilding the blade iron edges to be square and hold a sharp edge.

Oh @famas you don't happen to know where I could get longer cap iron screws from do you? I got some new plane irons from Axminster, which are thicker than the normal plane irons and the screws are a tad short now. The only place I can find that sells them is wood workers workshop, but they're out of stock and they have them on back order from their supplier. If not I might just re-tap the holes in metric and use a metric thumb screw.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314951318162 - Link to the plane iron if anyone is interested. It seems a good price for a 3mm thick o1 blade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the messages guys, really appreciate it :)

@Mark A most of the cap iron screws will be a standard length, if you can work out the thread and pitch (could be either 1/4"or 5/16") Mcmaster may have something suitable LINK

or if you go down the re-threading route then have a search for "cheese head screws" on e-bay, you just need to make sure the head diameter is large enough.

E-bay link

Workshop heaven list a long Clifton screw

as do Thomas flinn

Hopefully these will be long enough.

Back
Top Bottom