Poll: Hand-me-downs

Do you often wear hand-me-down clothes?

• Total voters
Even my sisters leggings wouldn't fit me as she's too slim.
But would her (unused) tights go around your face for a job at the local bank?

In reply to the actual poll, about the closest was probably a couple of pairs of new shoes one of my uncles gave me when he retired (I was about 17 at the time). He'd worked for RM and apparently they issued shoes on a regular basis to posties as they were workwear and he'd left with a load of spare pairs as he'd been in the office for years. For about 10 years I wore them and their successors almost all the time, as once I found out who actually made them I was able to get the same styles repeatedly for about 10-12 years with ease (IIRC they were specific Clarks styles, and I'm guessing RM's contract required size 12's and 13's to always be available*, so that trickled down to the retail version which just had one tag changed).

*Unlike many styles where it seems they top out at 11.

Last edited:
Even my sisters leggings wouldn't fit me as she's too slim.

They fit me thou

Joking aside, no… from whom would I get hand me downs from as an adult? They would tell me to **** off and buy my own Gucci belt.

I have no issues buying and wearing second hand clothes… and I do often gift clothes to my older brothers but that’s because they have no style and I’m a clothes *****, but they are often new or hardly worn.

Not really as a kid, although I was pretty much the oldest anyway. I had a couple of older half-siblings, but by the time I was big enough for their old stuff the fashions had changed dramatically.
I got given a lot of re-issued kit in the Army and I since bought a fair bit of surplus kit, but that's the closest I've gotten.

On a different angle, I once knew a woman whose wardrobe mostly comprised things her son handed off... He was a pro level skateboarder and got given a metric ****-ton of gear from sponsors, which he wore for as long as his contract required, then gave it all to his mum. She was the coolest, trendiest granny on the streets of Harrow!!

I am the eldest of two so it would have been my brother who got hand-me-downs if my parents did that kind of thing. Suppose with baby clothes it makes sense but as you grow up and have different interests, the hand-me-downs might not suit the younger sibling.

Often? No, but I do have an ellesse jumper given to me by my mother because she bought it for my brother, but he never wore it. That gets worn every winter and it's going 20+ years and seems to be made of a heavy duty cotton that will not fray after multiple washes

Last edited:
Generally no, but I do have a leather jacket that used to be my dad's, and he has a few nice old suits that I would absolutely have taken off him if I wasn't too fat for them.

Clothes, absolutely not as an adult. It doesn't really make sense anyway, like it does between kids/siblings when growing up.

Stuff, yes lots. E.g I have a load of tools; imperial vernier calipers etc, that were originally my great grandfather's.

My ex runs a shop that takes in designer gear and resells it.

It's astounding how many people get rid of stuff that is nearly new, sometimes even still tagged.

Last week I picked up a still tagged Nike tracksuit top for the gym, a nearly new Lyle and Scott retro tracksuit top for wearing out football hooligan style to watch the Euros, a nearly new Aquascutum polo shirt for work and a brand new Reiss short sleeved shirt, all for £70.

It saves resources for the green movement, but more importantly saved me a load of money.

i think the question should be do you wear hand me downs?
i don't think anyone often wears hand me downs as an adult.
i have and have no problem with it but clothes obviously need to fit and be in good nick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom