Hard drive broke?

Associate
Well i think its packed up. Only bought it a week ago. Starting making a clciking noise about 2 days ago and now unless i unplugg it the computer will not boot as it is a secondary drive. It is a dia max 10. Any ideas as i know i can take it back but it has some naughty stuff on it.

OH When left in windows trying to boot it says bad segments checking and they all fail and then the computer freezes.

Soldato
Run Maxtor's diagnostic tool on it. If it is indeed borked it will give you a diagnostic code. Go to Maxtor's website and look for RMA service. Go through all the steps blah blah enter the diagnostic code and sendeth away.

However! If you only got it a week ago, you can take it back to the shop you got it and say "OI! NOOO!" and either get a replacement or refund.

Don't worry about your pr0n... everybody has some :p

SiriusB

Permabanned
I've just had an old hard drive (Fujitsu) go down.
Normally I can bung them on another rig and recover the data, but this one was a bit flakey.

It seemed to have a problem spinning up (you can normally feel it twist in your hand if the rig is too loud to tell).
Retrying the boot eventually got it up, but it powered down after a minute.

I noticed one of the chips getting warm, so I rigged up a freezer bag full of ice and laid it on the drives PCA.
This kept the drive spinning long enough for me to recover all the data. :)

I've had similar success by prodding about with a spare finger - this probably bodges the odd dry joint.

I reckon the drive failed because someone fitted it in the same rack as the floppy, leaving no airflow over the bottom of the drive.

Back
Top Bottom