• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD fixed its frame latency issues yet?

Permabanned
Post #2 does say that. Anyways, that's interesting news. Could you link a source that AMD latency is lower now so I can take the plunge with confidence!

Nope, post #2 says latency has never been a problem in certain titles, not all titles. The graphs are easy enough to find if you're really that interested.

Associate
OP
Come on. It said it was a problem in only a couple of specific titles. I've played more than two games where it was a problem. It was a problem in virtually every game I played. Either I'm the most unlucky person in the world or it was a widespread problem and not just restricted to a couple of titles.

Caporegime
It was a problem in borderlands 2 and Skyrim as far as i know which was very quickly rectified after TechReport brought the issue up.

I haven't noticed any smoothness issues in any title since i bought my 7970 apart from farcry 3 and i play all the current dx11 games on the pc. The 7970 is now just slightly behind a titan in terms of frame times and that is only because a titan is 30%+ faster in some games.

Permabanned
Come on. It said it was a problem in only a couple of specific titles. I've played more than two games where it was a problem. It was a problem in virtually every game I played. Either I'm the most unlucky person in the world or it was a widespread problem and not just restricted to a couple of titles.

To start with I don't think Matt likes being referred to as it. If it was a problem in virtually all games you played then I predict pebkac, even before the beta memory management drivers, single GPU latency for AMD wasn't bad.

Associate
OP
:D we were talking about post 2, not LtMatt. Are you in politics? :D

I think the reports did in fact report widespread latency problems for AMD, and that was my experience. If you didn't experience that, that's fine, but as per post 1 I was looking for feedback from people who did have similar experiences.

Permabanned

I think the reports did in fact report widespread latency problems for AMD, and that was my experience. If you didn't experience that, that's fine, but as per post 1 I was looking for feedback from people who did have similar experiences.

Post #2 was made by Matt so don't try to avoid it.

Associate
OP
Pff. When I'm talking about what post 2 said, it's appropriate to say 'it', since the post has no gender. When I'm talking about what LtMatt said, I should say 'he' - unless LtMatt is a she of course.

Bit off topic now.

Soldato

No, reports didn't in fact state it was widespread, your individual experience while valid does not = widespread. Some games showed no problems while others showed latency problems due to profile problems. The fix was a simple driver update or using RadeonPro to force flip queue size to 1.

The answer is simple, stay way from AMD if you think they suck. Why even take a chance with something you had a bad experience with. Stick with Nvidia if you had a better pain free experience.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Pff. When I'm talking about what post 2 said, it's appropriate to say 'it', since the post has no gender. When I'm talking about what LtMatt said, I should say 'he' - unless LtMatt is a she of course.

Bit off topic now.

Just the way you put it by saying "It said it was" instead of just saying Matt lol as most people refer to the actual poster by their name.

Associate
OP
Just as an example,

http://www.techpowerup.com/178129/amd-to-fix-gcn-latency-issues-with-driver-updates.html

AMD seem to be acknowledging a widespread lack of optimisation in their approach to latency. In other reports, they've said that they never focussed on latency issues because they assumed that the stuttering wasn't caused by their hardware - which they've now discovered is incorrect. AMD themselves present it as something that is general, and that they are still working on, not something that was highly specific and fixed with a new driver ages ago. So I don't know why people are trying to dismiss it in that way.

Soldato
Just as an example,

http://www.techpowerup.com/178129/amd-to-fix-gcn-latency-issues-with-driver-updates.html

AMD seem to be acknowledging a widespread lack of optimisation in their approach to latency. In other reports, they've said that they never focussed on latency issues because they assumed that the stuttering wasn't caused by their hardware - which they've now discovered is incorrect. AMD themselves present it as something that is general, and that they are still working on, not something that was highly specific and fixed with a new driver ages ago. So I don't know why people are trying to dismiss it in that way.

At least 5 driver revisions have been released since that article was written. Single GPU HD 79x0 has no frame latency issues since new drivers were released with update profiles for the affected games.

Here is a more recent article that shows single GPU works perfectly fine with AMD.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ils-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Tes-12

• At the end of last year there were latency problems on some (not all) games on GCN cards.
  • They were fixed with updated profiles included in the 13.2 drivers.
  • The problems could be fixed at the time using RadeonPro to set flip queue size to 1.

These were taken using AMD 12.11 drivers.
Skyrim = serious stutter with default settings

Skyrim exact same test but with flip queue set to 1 in RadeonPro

If you still think AMD has problems don't purchase one, after all you don't owe AMD a thing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for that response. I'm thinking about giving a 7850 2GB I got in a go rather than just selling it on now. Perplexed as to why an aftermarket tool can provide a fix so easily but AMD doesn't provide it themselves by default.

Associate
It is? When did they sort that out?
My GTX690 feels/looks smoother than the single 7970 i had let alone crossfired with another.
"single gpu better than nvidia." he wrote...
So, what does 690 have to do with 7970 if 690 has 2 GPUs and 7970 1 only? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that response. I'm thinking about giving a 7850 2GB I got in a go rather than just selling it on now. Perplexed as to why an aftermarket tool can provide a fix so easily but AMD doesn't provide it themselves by default.

I know, it's idiotic of AMD to not have an option to change flip queue size considering how massive an effect it can have on games. I have had similar latency issues with some games on the GTX 680 I had, but at least Nvidia include a Max Render Ahead option.

Max Render Ahead = Flip queue size.

Back
Top Bottom