Has quality control taken a hit at OCUK?

Associate
The reason I ask , I've used ocuk for parts many times over many years but this is the first build I have ever done with them, I recently spent around 5.5k on a full build with Ocuk , due to massive delays the build took around 7 weeks to get to me.

It arrives and unimpressed to say the least , items paid and invoiced are either missing or have incorrect products installed in their place , the list..

Motherboard - incorrect colour
GPU - 4090 also incorrect colour
3 120 Fans - should replace the AIO stocks
phanteks rgb lighting kit - not installed

Calling them on Monday to see what the plan is going forward but also wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Soldato
For that sort of money
I would expect an impeccable build

Was there any small print
Regarding if a specific item became unavailable
It would be replaced by an item of
Equal or greater specification
Though not necessarily the same colour?

Hopefully when you phone them
They will sort you out
I haven't bought a prebuilt pc in 30 years lol
So can't really say from personal experience

Man of Honour
Apart from the lighting kit which seems like an obvious oversight, my guess (I have no idea what their process is) would be that there's been some kind of miscommunication about what you wanted and your requirements weren't communicated to the build team?

Associate
OP
For that sort of money
I would expect an impeccable build

Was there any small print
Regarding if a specific item became unavailable
It would be replaced by an item of
Equal or greater specification
Though not necessarily the same colour?

Hopefully when you phone them
They will sort you out
I haven't bought a prebuilt pc in 30 years lol
So can't really say from personal experience
Nowt on the small print far as replacements go the only thing stock / pre order items were likely to modify is the build time according to them. However ordering the build and being informed everything is in stock to check back 2 weeks later and find some cables are now out of stock and will delay the build for many weeks was pretty irritating to learn.

There seems to be a massive ball drop with the communication somewhere along the line. The mistake on the board I could forgive somewhat , I emphasise a close to white as possible board for the build in the strix 670e-E and they installed the more expensive but black 670e-A board , but the gfx card was designated white for the 4090 on the cost/invoice and atleast 3 additional lianli fans which were discussed and meant to replace the stock for the AIO have been invoiced/paid for but not installed either. Pretty disappointed in the process thus far not going to lie

Associate
OP
Apart from the lighting kit which seems like an obvious oversight, my guess (I have no idea what their process is) would be that there's been some kind of miscommunication about what you wanted and your requirements weren't communicated to the build team?
Truth be told , their process is painfully inefficient especially on the ordering front , going back and forth via emails waiting 2-4days each time for a reply is a nuisance and painfully slow. My assumption is whoever handles the emails just relays info to the build team...though wires have definitely been crossed it would seem

Associate
I agree with you completely.

If you specified you wanted a specific motherboard and GPU (that matches the white aesthetic you wanted), they should be either giving you that selection (or if it’s out of stock, suggesting a suitable alternative, not giving you a black MoBo and GPU). That’s a massive oversight on their part.

I’ve never ordered a prebuilt from Overclockers, but would suggest you complain (my last prebuilt was bought with the exact parts I selected)

Associate
Respectfully I disagree (if say parts are out of stock) but there have been obvious communication errors on the part of Overclockers - I can imagine that OPs PC looks nothing like they expected and given that they’ve paid 5.5k, OP should have expected that from them

If I was OP, I would honestly just return the PC for a refund - it’s nothing like you were expecting (and respect your white aesthetic choice too - that’s just not on)

Soldato
Did you call OCUK on Monday, if so what did they say?

As mentioned above, if you are not happy with it and spending this much on a PC send it back as its not what you asked for\wanted\paid for.

Associate
Did you call OCUK on Monday, if so what did they say?

As mentioned above, if you are not happy with it and spending this much on a PC send it back as its not what you asked for\wanted\paid for.

Lightly got sorted out as he hasn't returned. If it was ongoing he'd back screaming, and at 5k who wouldn't be.

Soldato
The only bit I'm confused with in the OP is that they don't specifically mention a list of actual components that were specified on the build list. Just "I want a white motherboard" - which can obviously be subjective and is a very poor way of coming up with a build plan.

What I'm surprised didn't happen is you make a request for a "build", ocuk then comes back with a product list that you OK to say you're happy with the components going in. That way any deviation from the build list is then not acceptable.

Soldato
The only bit I'm confused with in the OP is that they don't specifically mention a list of actual components that were specified on the build list. Just "I want a white motherboard" - which can obviously be subjective and is a very poor way of coming up with a build plan.

What I'm surprised didn't happen is you make a request for a "build", ocuk then comes back with a product list that you OK to say you're happy with the components going in. That way any deviation from the build list is then not acceptable.
Would make sense if you left it to OCUK to decide on parts.

Once they had them all e mail over a list and make sure they are happy with it before building or opening anything.

Soldato
That's a good point but whatever way you look at it a black motherboard is very different from a white one especially for £5.5k...

Associate
I was curious as to what they would say.

Not seen online since Monday, so as you mentioned most prob sorted out and not given the forums another thought

Yeah, would be nice if a follow was made. But until then i just throw his opinion in the irrelevant reviews category. Far too easy to bandwagon and drive BS on the internet now.

Missing some fans or an AIO or something he did mention. But little to go on.

Trustpilot gives no info on a recent negative order. The first two neg reviews are similar to this, little info given and therefore seem unrealistic. So i guess this was solved.

Soldato
Just my 2p, but in reference to those who’ve mentioned the price, I personally would expect perfection for a lot less than 5k! Sadly you don’t get what you pay for these days, but I fear it has gotten far worse over the last decade.

For balance my system was built to spec and it was perfect; all the parts I requested and very cleanly put together and well packaged. Not a mark, scuff or any sign the machine didn’t come like that from factory.

The order process back and forth, checking part compatibility etc. was my only gripe. It took too long and I didn’t always feel I was being recommended a system as much as we were figuring it out as we went.

It’s still going strong 6 years later, so can’t complain there. Would I chose ocuk for my next imminent build, yeah probably.

Back
Top Bottom