Have been hacked - lost access to accounts etc

Man of Honour
Hey, hope somebody can shine some light on this little problem for me. Not even sure this is the right place for this, so feel free to move.

My son received an email yesterday from Microsoft which asked him to change a password. Yes I know, he is 13, and made a stupid mistake :( So tonight we started to have money taken out of the accounts etc etc. I’ve frozen the cards and notified the bank. No problem there and I’ve done everything I can. But the scammers have stolen my Microsoft/hotmail account which is proving more problematic and have apparently locked me out of it. I’ve filled out the recovery form so is it just a waiting game? The IP addresses point to the far east just out of interest

Man of Honour
OP
It’s actually worse than I thought. It turns out my Steam account is also linked. So if I request a password change the scammer will get that too. I really don’t know how to proceed. It’s super stressful.

Edit: I was fortunate to have already enabled steam guard with this one linked to my phone, so I’ve changed my email and should be ok

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So to update, I’ve managed to protect Steam and I spoke with EA and they were great! So that’s sorted. But MS. What a nightmare. How can you speak to someone? I can’t fill out an account recovery form for 24 hours, but even after doing so it says they haven’t enough info to help.

Man of Honour
OP
So I finally managed to speak to someone, who tried their best to help. I think the problem is the account is still active - and Microsoft can't seem to understand that fact. It has been taken over! I don't know how to rectify that really. I'm concerned my son will lose his games and stuff on his xbox, as his account is linked to this one. Because we can't login we can't change anything. I'm hoping because his games are stored locally he should be able to use them with a new login? :(

Man of Honour
OP
It does.

What I can't understand is how/why his son had access to his emails?
It’s really complicated. Years ago I created my Hotmail account. My sons Xbox account was linked to my Hotmail account. It was setup for parental support etc. in retrospect I should have created a separate account for him but I didn’t. So over the years he has been using my account as his. I’ve tried to separate the two without success so I’ve just given up and he uses it mostly now for Xbox stuff. The problem is I also had everything pointing towards it, and I didn’t overly think about that. So it’s like a job share.

Back
Top Bottom