Have been hacked - lost access to accounts etc

Man of Honour
OP

it's not clear that you've carried out this process, so am sharing it just in case.
Seems fairly straight forward to prove its you and that you have an issue? Granted, it's annoying not to be able to talk to someone, but it says they should be able to verify with you and provide steps to recover the account within 24 hours...

First thing I did last night. Had an email back saying they can't help

Man of Honour
OP
some comments about providing proof of subsiduary xbox account ownership.

Retrieving Compromised Microsoft Minecraft Accounts
Getting back your Microsoft account is hard but not impossible. Now, Minecraft accounts cannot be transferred to another Microsoft account, only through aliases, which makes it possible for you to retrieve it if you have proof of ownership.
Things to prepare:
(Must) The Original Email Access, regardless of whether the hacker changed it.
(Must) Xbox Gamertag can be found on the default Minecraft launcher.
(Maybe) Transaction ID.
(Unlikely) Gameplay/Video Proof.
After you have the listed Must prepared, you can go ahead and contact Microsoft support. Here are the links I provided (you can copy and paste it)

So if I can't get original email access, because the scammer has it - I'm stuffed?

Soldato
So if I can't get original email access, because the scammer has it - I'm stuffed?
I took those comments as information, from their own xbox products, that you can provide/volunteer to microsoft to justify ownership of the email address, and help get it back.

e: you've probably already created a new account to use for staging information and communicating with microsoft to try and regain control on the original one ?

[
The most scary thing about this is that in Windows 11 Microsoft heavily push people into using a Microsoft account to control Windows.
maybe they push it but shouldn't do it ? eg https://youtu.be/pIRNpDvGF4w
with my limited exposure to ios , you might login with an apple account but have to provide additional security code before purchases under that account are authorized
]

Last edited:
Soldato
The most scary thing about this is that in Windows 11 Microsoft heavily push people into using a Microsoft account to control Windows.
Think you can get around that by putting in admin rather than an email.

I recently checked my account security and the number of login attempts was pretty worrying. I disabled access on aliases apart from 1 I don't really use for anything. Plus 2fa, backup codes and alternative email with a different company.

You can create a new random alias and only allow logins on that if your current email has been breached or just too easy to guess. You need access to your account obviously but if you can get it back you don't necessarily have to close the account.

Commissario
I tell you, EA were brilliant. Online chat took a few minutes and the account was sorted. Microsoft are a different story
EA for all their many, many faults as a company have been dealing with this specific scenario for 25 years for paying/subscription customers and I suspect have an attitude/procedure for it that probably originated with the old Origins/UO account teams who were dealing with stolen/hacked accounts back in the mid 90's.

Associate
I don’t think so, I don’t log in with password, only through the authentication app.

A few years ago I used to get daily login attempt at my Steam account too.
That makes sense.

I've noticed MS has started enabling sign in requests via outlook on mobile as default. This has been rolling out gradually since January.

Rolled out for me this morning. I've turned them off within the Outlook for Android App, and removed it as an option within the MS Account section.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone had any success using the Microsoft account recovery? What an absolute joke of a system.
Nope. Mine was taken years ago and they were just as useless then. Luckily this was before the days of internet banking etc so all they got was emails notifications from FB and a few forums.

Seems there been a spate of pishing/hacking attempts, as I too have had people try to get into my microsoft account and twitter. I had my Netflix hacked over the weekend as well. Luckily I never log out of it, so was able to see the email address they used and took it right back from them. Must've hacked my email as I seen the email saying netflix email and password changed then the email just disappeared...

Associate
Nope. Mine was taken years ago and they were just as useless then. Luckily this was before the days of internet banking etc so all they got was emails notifications from FB and a few forums.

Seems there been a spate of pishing/hacking attempts, as I too have had people try to get into my microsoft account and twitter. I had my Netflix hacked over the weekend as well. Luckily I never log out of it, so was able to see the email address they used and took it right back from them. Must've hacked my email as I seen the email saying netflix email and password changed then the email just disappeared...
Assuming no strong unique password and 2fa on the email?

Back
Top Bottom