Have I been scammed? What can I do?

Man of Honour
This kind of scam has been going round for as long as Gumtree has been around.

From now on there should be a thread stickied at the top of every section of the forum pointing to this thread.

If in doubt, post on OcUK first. Collectively we've pretty much seen it all.

Soldato
Contact Paypal and you have a small chance of getting refunded.
There is a line that deals with this, state your case and you have a chance as I said.

I was very guillible seeling Steam items accepting Paypal and one of the guys who charged me back failed after I stated my case.
Any evidence you have they will ask for so that text log is good. You will be given a direct link to send it to connected with the person reviewing the case.

You have nothing to lose at this point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
195 for a used xbox?

The xbox one S has been selling brand new with fifa 17 for £199 in the past few days from major retailers ....:confused:

Associate
I believe you can get a crime reference number by simply reporting it on the Action Fraud website. It's unlikely anyone in the Police will look at, let alone read it, but it will show PayPal you're serious.

You could also point out no sane person would sell an iPhone 6S for £170, though PayPal are not known for their logical reasoning.

I would also see about getting the Xbox banned from Live services if at all possible. It will make it worthless to them and anyone they potentially flog it on to.

Caporegime
First paragraph = scam. I honestly don't know how people fall for this in 2016. The millisecond the word "someone else" comes in to play, it's a scam. Whether it be aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, brother, sister, whatever. It's a scam.

Soldato
Whilst going through with the transaction in this way was pretty stupid I am interested to see how PayPal will react to the claim. You have evidence of a sale occurring and the buyer has dreamt up a fictitious transaction with presumably no evidence.

Permabanned
It's a shame these consoles didn't follow suite of apple GPS tagging. An online account where devices can be blocked. Apple do it fantastically.

In this case not a lot you can do except get the device blocked and £25 more than others have got.

I seriously think there should be more advertisement in this sort of scam as already mentioned.

PS.... fancy meeting me in a car park? I'll pay you the funds via PayPal and £25 when we meet.

Cheers! lol

Soldato
Unlucky OP - expensive lesson but I guess could have been worse (you weren't mugged and got £25..!) :(

This, you sold an XBOX for £25, get over it and move on.

The alarm bells may not have rung earlier, but they sure as hell should have rung when you met the buyers 'son' outside a supermarket with £25 having been paid from his 'sisters' paypal account.

Technically I suppose the buyer could just claim you never showed up and claim his imaginary £170 back. For all paypal know you just gave it to a random kid on the street for £25.

Soldato
If you do a trade of goods by meeting up, cash only unless they've already bank transfered it to you. I can't believe people still fall for this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So naive on my part, I was thinking that Paypal was having me covered more than any other form of payment.

Paypal protects the buyer, not the seller.

195 for a used xbox?

The xbox one S has been selling brand new with fifa 17 for £199 in the past few days from major retailers ....:confused:

He didn't sell it for £195 though - he sold it for £25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Underboss
My dad did a cash in hand via Gumtree sale for a Macbook, young chap turned up with the required amount and handed it over.

My dad went to the bank to pay it in and was told it was funny money - he reported it to the Police and they got the CCTV from outside the Sainsburys etc but it the end he had to chalk it up to an expensive lesson.

I think his pride was hurt more than his wallet.

Back
Top Bottom