Having Christmas without presents.

Associate
I absolutely despise seeing the stocking filler aisles of absolute garbage in supermarkets that people will use for all of 30 seconds!

Nobody needs a phone powered fan or a mini pancake making set.

They're bought purely by people who have no imagination and most of this tatt will end up in the landfill within a year.

Associate
Think social media is making some saddos feel the need to do - the family matching PJs, the Christmas Eve box, Christmas cushions, Christmas bedding. There's a bedding/curtain/home decor shop in the shopping area of my work that sells the latter two. I don't change my cushions and bedding.
And whats with the christmas eve gift box? i just dont get it!

Soldato
Think social media is making some saddos feel the need to do - the family matching PJs, the Christmas Eve box, Christmas cushions, Christmas bedding. There's a bedding/curtain/home decor shop in the shopping area of my work that sells the latter two. I don't change my cushions and bedding.
Why does it matter to you want other people do? How can anyone be this ******* miserable all the time‽

Christmas bedding. There's a bedding/curtain/home decor shop in the shopping area of my work that sells the latter two. I don't change my cushions and bedding
This stuff is fine tbh.

How often do you change your bedding? It should be weekly, so you're going to change it any way, might as well make it an Xmas one.

I change mine for Xmas as it's also a thicker one which keeps me warmer, and I change to a light summer one too. Spring and autumn is my "normal" bedding.

Decorating something, especially for a month or so, really is fine as it has more than just 1 quick use

Soldato
OP
I absolutely despise seeing the stocking filler aisles of absolute garbage in supermarkets that people will use for all of 30 seconds!

Nobody needs a phone powered fan or a mini pancake making set.

They're bought purely by people who have no imagination and most of this tatt will end up in the landfill within a year.
You see some unopened tat in charity shops

Soldato
OP
This stuff is fine tbh.

How often do you change your bedding? It should be weekly, so you're going to change it any way, might as well make it an Xmas one.

I change mine for Xmas as it's also a thicker one which keeps me warmer, and I change to a light summer one too. Spring and autumn is my "normal" bedding.

Decorating something, especially for a month or so, really is fine as it has more than just 1 quick use
I change bedding every week. Change the duvet fortnightly as have duvets with two different sides.

Soldato
OP
And whats with the christmas eve gift box? i just dont get it!
Card Factory and B&M have empty boxes for people to fill stuff in. From what I understand it’s has Xmas PJs, snacks for a Xmas film, hot chocolate sachet, a plate (which is usually personalised), Santa’s food and drink plus a copy of the letter you sent Santa.

Before streaming, the box contained a DVD of a film

Just another bs social media thing. They never happened before social media

Last edited:
Associate
We're very much social people, so our Christmas gift tends to be an invite to ours for food/alcohol over the festive period (stay over always an option). Given the quality of what we serve, this isn't cheap!

Caporegime
Ah decent food!
No Christmas dinner should grace anything from Aunt Bessie’s!
I get the yorkshires and glazed parnsips.
most aunt bessies is kinda meh imo, the frozen dumplings literally have no flavour and the texture of a sponge....

Why does it matter to you want other people do? How can anyone be this ******* miserable all the time‽
IT sounds like the kinda rubbish pushed by vlogging influencer families, probably sponsored to doubt...

weak feeble minds will give in

Last edited:
Caporegime

Just LOL if you don't post a family photo on Facebook on Christmas Eve in matching pyjamas (even for your dog), sitting on your crushed velvet corner sofa with a mountain of presents in the background.

Noob.

Soldato
My parents and family don't do Christmas presents. We buy gifts for birthdays which are more personal.

For Christmas, I buy the food and some of the drinks - thanks to the discount I get at my work. My parents contribute with the rest of the drinks and cooking what needs cooking.

I get mixed comments from people - most say its a great idea as that way, the food and drinks are used. Others say Christmas is about giving.

There's no need to buy presents for everyone as some get put in a cupboard and forgotten about. Some get listed on eBay almost straight away - 40k+ results for "unwanted Christmas present" on eBay last BD and similar to unwanted Xmas gift too. Then some presents, such as the tubs of the inferior chocolate, toiletries gift sets etc scream to me 'Not thought much'.

I remember a lady who bought about 40 tubs of these inferior chocolates (the same one) and said to my colleague "That's all my Christmas presents shopping done in one shop". I despaired her friends and family - as for example - a family of four related to her would got 4 of these.

There's no point getting skint over buying presents for those who won't use them.

Anyone else like me who don't do Christmas presents?

My family was the precise opposite. They went out of their way for Christmas but almost ignored birthdays.

Associate
I'm not big on presents either. As cliche as it is, Christmas is and should always be about taking time away from work and seeing relatives IMO. Presents are an aside

Back
Top Bottom