Hawaii

Man of Honour
Jammy git. After driving virtually around O'ahu in Test Drive Unlimited 2, I have a burning desire to visit now. :p

Shame you need a US military ID to drive Kolekole pass in reality :( , probably doing it next year with some people before heading to Cali for a league of legends tournie (don't play the game myself).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24620134 said:
Gayjn- is it really worth renting a V8? Aren't the limits like 20 MPH everywhere?
IMHO no, I have rented ....

Changed your name have you? :p

Gayjn- is it really worth renting a V8? Aren't the limits like 20 MPH everywhere?

It's a matter of perspective. We needed a car for the day to visit the North Shore in Oahu. It was my honeymoon and I fancied it, so yes, it was totally worth it and I'm pretty sure it was only about 30-40 dollars over what what I was looking at getting anyway.

If you are looking at hiring a car for a week then no, it's probably not the most cost-effective way to get around, but it was great fun and I got the most out of it ;)

Soldato
Cheers for the info.

My holidays are normally a few nights and then I move on, but maybe doing Big Island, Maui and Oahu in 10 days is a bit of a push.

I'm probably going to Kauai for a few days at the start too..
Perhaps too much?

What's so special about the Pearl Harbour memorial? It's not something that particularly interests me.

For me your cramming far to much in, The islands are a lot bigger than most people expect and the transit time bettween islands when you take into account airport times and transfers really does mount up. Hawaii is a laid back place take it slow and enjoy yourself your better off seeing everything on a couple of islands than dipping your toes into four. I guarentee you'll want to go back and if you've done two islands properley it's much easier to plan another trip.

For Hawaii I wouldn't bother with anything special as a hire car the drives aren't long and theft from parked cars in Oahu is surprisingly high especially from the obvious rentals as the chances of getting some good stuff are higher.

Pearl Harbour is a tricky one if you have no interest in world war 2 and the sacrafice that generation made for us then you will probably find it dull, I on the other hand found it a moving experience and a great oppertunity to pay my respects to the fallen. Standing above the USS Arizona as bubles of oil still escape to th surface and reading the list of those lost that day reminds you just how lucky we are to live in a world of relative peace.

Surfing is truly amazing in the islands we had a lesson off Waikiki beach and there is something special about saying you've surfed there!

Caporegime
Shame you need a US military ID to drive Kolekole pass in reality :(

Off the top of my head, I can't remember what that is but I'm sure it would have been one of the places I wanted to see. :( What a bummer. Why do you need a military ID to drive it?

EDIT: It seems to be a route leading to Schofield Barracks.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
It's a matter of perspective. We needed a car for the day to visit the North Shore in Oahu. It was my honeymoon and I fancied it, so yes, it was totally worth it and I'm pretty sure it was only about 30-40 dollars over what what I was looking at getting anyway.

If you are looking at hiring a car for a week then no, it's probably not the most cost-effective way to get around, but it was great fun and I got the most out of it ;)
You only had it for the day, fair enough :)

For me your cramming far to much in, The islands are a lot bigger than most people expect and the transit time bettween islands when you take into account airport times and transfers really does mount up. Hawaii is a laid back place take it slow and enjoy yourself your better off seeing everything on a couple of islands than dipping your toes into four. I guarentee you'll want to go back and if you've done two islands properley it's much easier to plan another trip.
Makes sense!

Pearl Harbour is a tricky one if you have no interest in world war 2 and the sacrafice that generation made for us then you will probably find it dull, I on the other hand found it a moving experience and a great oppertunity to pay my respects to the fallen. Standing above the USS Arizona as bubles of oil still escape to th surface and reading the list of those lost that day reminds you just how lucky we are to live in a world of relative peace.
Well that came out wrong!
My family suffered directly at the hand of the Nazis in WW2 so I don't need to visit concentration camps in Eastern Europe if you know what I mean.
I've been to plenty of war memorials and have found them all incredibly moving.

Anyway, I think what I meant was that I know nothing about the Pearl Harbour attack, rather than 'it doesn't interest me'.

It's just I've seen pictures of it and it's full of overweight and underdressed people in flip flops and it looks more like a theme park than a war memorial. And it's all "Murrrrrika!!"
Perhaps I'm just being stupid.

Man of Honour
Off the top of my head, I can't remember what that is but I'm sure it would have been one of the places I wanted to see. :( What a bummer. Why do you need a military ID to drive it?

EDIT: It seems to be a route leading to Schofield Barracks.

This bit:

Its the long winding pass near the middle of the island on the left where most TDU2 players seem to end up hanging out ingame - in reality its a link track between 2 military facilities.

Soldato
I went to the big island for two and a bit weeks - tbh we didn't even get to see everything we wanted there, so I guess it depends on if you want a holiday and some time to relax, or spend your holiday travelling around trying to see everything and not really experiencing it

Soldato
You only had it for the day, fair enough :)

Makes sense!

Well that came out wrong!
My family suffered directly at the hand of the Nazis in WW2 so I don't need to visit concentration camps in Eastern Europe if you know what I mean.
I've been to plenty of war memorials and have found them all incredibly moving.

Anyway, I think what I meant was that I know nothing about the Pearl Harbour attack, rather than 'it doesn't interest me'.

It's just I've seen pictures of it and it's full of overweight and underdressed people in flip flops and it looks more like a theme park than a war memorial. And it's all "Murrrrrika!!"
Perhaps I'm just being stupid.

Misunderstandings the bane of the interent.

The Pearl Harbour memorial is a moving experience, there is a great 20 minute film that is shown to everyone before they are taken by boat to the memorial itself. Yes they will be fat flip flop wearing Americans but they are there to show their respect to the fallen and I din't find it in anyway effected the experience and it certainly didn't feel like a theme park, Americans for all their fault are a patriotic people and take the sacrafice of their servicemen very seriously. I didn't think it was any more nationalistic that a UK war memorial yes it's American and different to how we would do things but standing over the sunken remains of the Arizona knowing over 1000 people dies aboard her many of whom are still entombed within her you still feel that sense of something larger knowing what these men sacraficed for us.

Read about it the wiki article is a good starting point it is pretty fsctual without to much American embelishment, the attack of Pearly Harbour can be viewed as the turning point of the second world war forcing America to war with Japan and leading to the decleration of war on American by Germany. It is a name that will stand the test of time in human history so definitely worth visiting, you also have the USS Missouri in the same area on who's decks the war finally ended so it's a nice piece of symetry.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Bringing up an old thread here.

I'm getting married in just under 4 weeks and we have a small honeymoon planned in Europe. That said, I am planning a extra special holiday next June / July (real honeymoon). We are planning on doing West coast and Hawaii.

How long would you guys recommend for visiting Hawaii - Maui and Oahu?

Before you ask - yes I will be surfing to add to my list of wipe outs / fails on famous beaches (Bondi, Surfers Paradise, Byron, Newquay)

Thanks,

Mike

Soldato
It's about a six hour flight from the west coast of the states. So, think about how long you'd want to spend in New York if you were visiting from London!

I'd personally want between four and seven days on each island. That should give you plenty of time to see the sights and still relax on the beach.

We flew via LAX on the way out and that was a mistake. We were in an immigration queue for two hours and nearly missed our connection. The staff couldn't have cared less. The return leg via SFO was a lot more relaxed. My advice is to avoid LAX if you can. :)

Soldato
It's about a six hour flight from the west coast of the states. So, think about how long you'd want to spend in New York if you were visiting from London!

I'd personally want between four and seven days on each island. That should give you plenty of time to see the sights and still relax on the beach.

We flew via LAX on the way out and that was a mistake. We were in an immigration queue for two hours and nearly missed our connection. The staff couldn't have cared less. The return leg via SFO was a lot more relaxed. My advice is to avoid LAX if you can. :)

Thanks for the reply,

I think 4 days on each island might be achievable, I doubt I'll get 8 considering I want to do West Coast as well :)

Still early days on planning but hopeful of around 25 days holiday (probably some unpaid as already agreed from new job)

Cheers,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom