HD problem - over heating!

Associate
Hello

I have just installed my second hard drive last week, only to find out that the tempeture is sitting at 67c, and rising. I keep getting pop up warnings that its at a critical temperture, would this be a faulty drive?

I have used HD Tune to check this, see image for stats on drive.

The drive is : Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-046-WD)

My other drive is sitting at 34c, which is what the other one should be sitting at

fault9si.jpg

could someone help me and source out the problem

Thanks

Soldato
Dr. Gonzo said:
I've read recently the temperature sensors are sometimes dodgy on HDD's reporting higher temps than usual.
Could be.

Try feeling the drive with your hand on the metal side and see if you can feell a difference between them, if the sensor measures 67C the drive must be burning your hand.

Associate
OP
i have been using speedfan and it shows the same temp at 64c. Thats why i gave the reading from HD Tune just to get a 2nd check. The drive doesnt fell much warmer than the other drive which is sitting at 34c, this is really weird as its only 5 days old and i wouldnt want this to be slowley damaging it.

Maybe i will try my drive in another computer to see what tempeture is sitting at then.

thanks

Associate
OP
thanks guys for the replys, i will try your method "dutch guy", and i will ghet back to you when i find the problem

Could it be a faulty sensor? giving a false reading.

Thanks

Associate
My WD HDD runs idle at 44c however I'm still waiting on a fan to hopefully bring this down.

Even with this high condition (considering 46-48 is the recommended 'highest' operating temp) WD Data Lifeguard reports the drive as being OK, its only speedfan thats giving decent enough feedback.

Last edited:
Associate
sr4470 said:
A large number of these drives have a broken temperature sensor. I RMA'd mine and was given a full refund.

On this advice I've just Advance RMA'd mine. Although its within its permitted temperature its running too high for my liking, especially as I was intending it to contain a lot of my own music production samples/fx shortly. It's a risk I'm not willing to take after losing all of my tracks a year ago after a HD failed in my old machine. :(

Out of interest did you recieve the refund from OcUK sr4470?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom