HD Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi guys, i need some advice.

I am looking at a 3-4 tb drive and wondered who you would recommend?

Let me start by saying that i am not impressed with WD Blue drives as two i have ordered from amazon and ****** now have both been DOA, in fact i still have the 3gb drive because i just did not have the time to return it to amazon. That being said the warranty is now over plus the serial did not work on their website for some reason.

I am looking at buying the drive soon probably via driving to OCUK but do wondered if seagate or toshiba would be better? I really do not want to deal with WD anymore i have had way too many issues with them over the years.

example
2tb nas brought from currys dies within a year. Contacted WD about this as it was under warranty, they send send the drive back which i did after buying another drive to back up my info and then sent me an american plug replacement! Oh and yes all the support was done via the americans not uk so had to deal with the time difference too.

Soldato
I've had drives of all the main brands die, Seagate Barracudas and WD Blacks would have been the better experiences though.

Associate
yep they all had bad batches and all have drives that fail. Treat mechanical drives as consumables with an unknown expiration date :)
Expensive enterprise drives are not immune but do offer better warranty and at least a better chance of lasting longer. At a price of course.

Associate
OP
I know drives die but to have 100% DOA now on two i am just a little fed up with it all.

As for their support when they send you american hardware when your in the UK and then can not even return a drive under warranty because your serial is invalid then i am sorry why would you keep faith with that company?
I guess i'll just ask for this to be closed and buy which drive i feel like at the time as it seems yet again i joined a non helpful forum.

Thanks.
#close thread

Will not bother returning to this forum again.

Soldato
Happy with WD. Owned plenty not one failure. Going way back to 486 and pentium era. Toshiba seem good too quiet not much vibration of clicking access sound.

Wouldn't buy Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom