HDD and Flights

Soldato
Moving to China soon and I want to take a HDD with me which has all my private stuff, music etc on it. I was planning on packing it very tightly in my suitcase in the middle of all my clothes.

Will it be ok like that?

Don
OvertoneBliss said:
Yeh, that's more what I'm concerned with. The pressure of ascending and descending. Might be vulnerable.

Hard drives these days have breather holes for pressure equalisation, also the baggage hold is pressurised to the same pressure as the main cabin as far as I'm aware, something of the order of the air pressure at 5000ft.

Jokester

Associate
It will be fine. I took my whole tower on a plane to Oz when I emigrated, it had 3 hard disks in it.
I did have a flight case made for the trip but it didn't protect against pressure changes, just against dodgy bagage handlers who kick you stuff around.

Associate
Also remember to bear a thought about the contents of the drive. i.e. don't have any dodgy pr0n on there or anything else that could be treated as illegal by any fussy custom's guys.

Obviously if you are heading to China with it, then ain't gonna worry about pirated software/music... :D

And think about the image of your case in an X-Ray machine. Don't have any weird cables near it that would make a paranoid customs guy want to open your case up to check for ticking bombs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I took my 160Gb maxtor in a icy box externa cappy over to Brasil earlier this year and it was fine on the trip, whilst there and sti oging strong now without a care in the word. so it woud be fine.

Back
Top Bottom