HDD Dying?!

Soldato
Right today was just playing CS 1.6 and my computer locked up, the sound froze etc, it stayed like that for about 20 seconds, then sprang back to life, then about 5 seconds after completely locked up. I reset the computer, and it wouldn't go past posting, it got to the bit that says 'Your computer was not shut down properly blah blah, chose the start normally, safe mode or last known config'.

So i chose last known working config to be safe, and the screen just goes dark and the comp reboots. I had a feeling that the HDD had been on its way out as sometimes it would lock up, and sometimes ive heard a big like 'clunk' noise coming from the drive and then it lock up.

My brother put the drive in his computer and the drive (which was split in 2 partitions) wont show the boot partition of it. So i put the drive back in mine, and ran windows setup, deleting both partitions and just formatting it as one drive. The format and windows installation went fine and ive reinstalled a lot of the things that were on it. Then after a windows update, i rebooted the computer and it crashed as windows was loading, then when i restarted the computer it wasnt showing the drive in the POST screen and it wouldn't boot into XP. I restarted it, and it came on fine. The drive is a Maxtor Dm10 80gb sata2 version, im just wondering does this sound like the hard drive is dying, its well within its warranty so i could get an RMA, but i tried the Maxtor diagnostic tool and it just wouldnt load so i dunno!

Any help much appreciated.
ROSSI!

Man of Honour
Sounds like the drive is dead/dying yeah, PSU can produce similar symptoms too (but not big clunk noises, usually :p ).

Suspended
CDj-Rossi said:
The drive is a Maxtor Dm10 80gb sata2 version

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone
Another one bites the dust hey
Hey I'm gonna get you too

Don't use is as primary boot drive, as you won't get anywhere. Connect it back up, run long test. Then chuck it in the bin if it starts halting, especially right in the beginning of the drive.

Back
Top Bottom